Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Byzantine Cataphract research for SCA sit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Byzantine Cataphract research for SCA sit
    Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 01:02
Greetings,
I stumbled across this site and it seemed like a good place to get some feedback...

http://warriorsofhistory.com/pages/diomedes-sebastianus.html

Background
I belong to an international "historical society" called the SCA (details: SCAdemo.com ) where we portray personas from pre 17th Century European history. One of the many activities we (as these personae) do is full contact armoured combat with rattan (solid bambo) battons.

Some people's armours are fantastic, many are lacking. Some are simply "Stick Jocks" that throw a tunic over anything protective and jump into the fray. To be fair, it is often difficult to accurately portray an armour style with the combat we do, as we require body be armoured for safety in a manner that is often in conflict with the historical.

* A recent move has resulted in the loss of all but my online research. I can't find any of my nots and about 1/2 my Roman & Late Roman books. I have no footnotes left, and I'm in the tedious process of recreating them *
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 01:05
Looks like a great site D.Sebastian Thumbs%20Up What aspect of history do you recreate...archery, farming, brewing, combat.etc.??
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 01:09
Thanks!
I do some illumination (love the Maciejewski Bible), light brewing, dance, and lots of armoured combat.
:)

(That's odd, I posted this in the "Military History" area...
Was this moved?)

Edited by D. Sebastian - 23-Feb-2007 at 01:10
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 01:18
Yes it would have been moved. Even though it is military history, it is advertising and therefore appropriate to this subforum. Are there mounted men among your ranks/in the organisation?

Edited by Knights - 23-Feb-2007 at 01:19
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 06:43
We have equestrian events, that comprise mostly of games of skill (hitting the quintain, jousting rings, spear throwing and stabbing objects on the ground at a gallop, sword work where fake heads are knocked off of posts, obstacle courses and sometimes even archery from horseback).

There is some contact jousting, but that's really in its infant stage.

Pics and more detail:
http://www.scademo.com/demo.equestrian.php

I'm not involves in the equestrian, as I have no horse. But its enjoyable to watch.

= = = = = = =

Please explain how this is advertising?
The site I linked to is my own personal with *no* means of revenue generation. The greater society is non-profit educational.

I'm concerned that I'm not going to get the critical feedback I'm looking for. Really, I'm looking for schollarly advice in the area of my display of a Late Roman, and the best way of rebuilding my footnotes without cheezing out and reverse-researching.

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply