Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paratroopers in the Pacific?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paratroopers in the Pacific?
    Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 18:20
Did the United States ever use any paratroopers in the Pacific?

konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 21:02
Not to my knowledge. Operations in the Pacific consisted of amphibious landings with coordination between Navy and Marines. The planned invasion of the Japanese home islands probably include airborne forces but this never materialized. 

Edited by konstantinius - 07-Jan-2007 at 21:03
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 23:25
Yes in the Philippines and New Guinea the 11th Airbourne was used.

Also the British used Paratroopers in Burma.

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 08:55
Thanks, Sparten, I could not find any mentions of the Paratroopers in the Pacific, only in Europe, and I was wondering if they were ever employed elsewhere.

jacobtowne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote jacobtowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 14:58
Originally posted by konstantinius

Not to my knowledge. Operations in the Pacific consisted of amphibious landings with coordination between Navy and Marines. 

Actually, quite a few Army divisions took part in Pacific battles, beginning with the Guadalcanal Campaign in 1942. Some island operations, such as Tarawa and Iwo Jima, were indeed Marine only.

At Okinawa, the penultimate land battle of WWII, the landing force was composed of two Army and two Marine divisions under Army command, Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner, Jr., whilst a third Marine division demonstrated on the southeast coast.

The Philippines Campaign was Army only.

JT

Edited by jacobtowne - 10-Jan-2007 at 14:58
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 16:41
Originally posted by Sparten

Yes in the Philippines and New Guinea the 11th Airbourne was used.

Also the British used Paratroopers in Burma.

Sorry, I wasn't aware.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 23:01
Dad's LST squadron was in support of the landings at Leyte,  He said there were Marine units involved in the Philipines, just not on a large scale.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 00:47
Marines were involved at Normandy as well. They are always there on the beach during "phib" ops. Even if its just as beach masters.

As for the para ops, the Japanese made several in China as well. And the planned recapture of Singapore was going to use perhaps as many as three airbourne divs (1 and 6 British and 2 Indian).

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 00:47
Originally posted by Sparten

As for the para ops, the Japanese made several in China as well. And the planned recapture of Singapore was going to use perhaps as many as three airbourne divs (1 and 6 British and 2 Indian).

Yep the Japanese were quite amazed by the German successes during the early years of ww2 with paratroopers. They even had a glider unit i believe to go along with their paratroopers. The battle of Palembang was a fairly large airborne operation for the Japanese in February of 1942. They also jumped into Menado on Celebes Island in January of 1942.

Japanese paratroopers at the Battle of Palembang

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 10:29
A small thing to note is that American paradrops in New Guinea were met with disaster. The leaders failed to fully comprehend the reality of paradropping into dense jungle. Many men were trapped, killed on landing or subsequently captured or killed by the japanese.

One thing that's always puzzled me, why is shooting a paratrooper before he/she lands a war crime?
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 14:17
I disagree with the statements about US airborne forces on New Guinea.  The parachute drops were to take airfields, and were not carried out over heavily forested areas.

see:  www.diggerhistory.info  for joint Australian-US action on New Guinea.....with several photos of the parachute drops.

see also:  www.173abnbde.setaf.army.mil  for a brief history of the 1st and 2nd bns/503 ParaIR.

The airborne operations were quite successful in coordination with Australian and US advances up the New Guinea coast.  Casualties were not excessive.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 13-Jan-2007 at 14:20
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 00:31
One thing that's always puzzled me, why is shooting a paratrooper before he/she lands a war crime?
Becoz he is as of yet not a combatant.
 Post Reply Post Reply