Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aya Sophia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aya Sophia
    Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 18:28
Originally posted by Bulldog

Please stop pretending your personal opinions represents everyone. There is no "correct" or "incorrect" answer, its all based upon perception, you can either love it or hate it.

It get's pretty tiring when people begin the old, " ooooooh its so great for "all" Turks or oooh its a load of "crap" according to all Turks"

Give your own opinions and stop this ridiculous attitude that "your" opinion represents an entire nation.

Most Ottoman building's were not "copies", the Blue Mosque was a reply to the Aya Sofya, Sulemaniye has an influence, where-as Selimiye influence is in the famous Ilkhanid mosque complex. To make such a sweeping comment is ludacris and thinking that Ottoman architecture only included mosque's is even worse. There are many non-religous and civic Ottoman masterpieces, the grand palaces, fountains, towers, town layouts, courtly homes, trainstations/ports, bridges etc etc etc

Wait a minute here. Lets not act too nationalistic. Bulldog, are you implying that the Hagia Sophia did not have an immense influence on the mosques that were to spring up after the Turks took over the area?  
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 19:11

Ofcourse it had an influence where did I state it didn't, I simply pointed out it was just one of them in addition to totally new concepts invented by the Ottomans.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 11:52
i just made a joke, ok?.i visitied the building several times and totally liked it.but i can make jokes about it right? .Hagia Sophia is a magical mosque/basilica.its one of the greatest buildings of the world.its so big that it should be called Huge Sophia.these were my real opinions anyway.

(P.S. it brings money.  :)
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 12:34
Originally posted by Batu

i just made a joke, ok?.i visitied the building several times and
totally liked it.but i can make jokes about it right? .Hagia Sophia is
a magical mosque/basilica.its one of the greatest buildings of the
world.its so big that it should be called Huge Sophia.these were my
real opinions anyway.

(P.S. it brings money. :)

magical, YES!!! espeicially for Greeks and other people of shared Orthodox and Balkan heritage. I toured it five times and walked around in it usually an hour to three hours. I could not see this great church having much meaning to the Japanese and Korean tourists I saw there but even for the Turks this building is special. It should stay a museum!! I will have the picture of it finished soon with the mineret taken out and the gold Byzantine cross put on top.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 14:09
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Originally posted by eaglecap

I have ordered the book O' Byzantium from the library so maybe it will mention the Agia Sophia as well.

It does, but be prepared for a sad story. Much of Choniates' account is in the form of a lament for Constantinople and its monuments during the destruction of the Fourth Crusade. He is especially descriptive of the desecration of the altar and patriarch's throne in the Hagia Sophia by the crusaders.

Sadly. I had to return my library copy back to the Bing Crosby Library at Gonzaga University but I requested it again.

I have a picture of the church a Turkish friend took with his digital camera so a friend here took off the mineret showing and then put on a gold Byzantine cross so as soon as I can I will post it.

Edited by eaglecap - 20-Jan-2007 at 22:42
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 15:49
why do you want to see Hagia Sophia without minarets and with golden crosses? yes,historically it was church many years ago,but its a historical mosque aswell.
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 16:30
As said, Aya Sophia was a model for Ottoman Mosques, for example Mimar Sinan once had said that "I built Selimiye's dome 3x larger than Aya Sophia's, to answer some Christians who are telling me about Aya Sophia's dome"Big%20smile
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 16:16
Batu I did it because I am half Greek and it was part of my Greek-Byzantine heritage and I with my mind often in the past I wanted to get an idea of what it was as a church. Of course, I am very happy it is a museum and I do not want to see it turned into a Mosque or church again. I respect the fact that Muslim Turks had it as a Mosque for 500 years. I am not Orthodox Christian and the museum status brings in many tourists and helps the Turkish economy.
As soon as my friend emails the pic to me I will try and post it on this forum but it is amazing what they can do in photo shop. I will also add on a pic of the Galata tower.
the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote the_oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 07:17
Originally posted by eaglecap

I have a picture of the church a Turkish friend took with his digital camera so a friend here took off the mineret showing and then put on a gold Byzantine cross so as soon as I can I will post it.

hagia sophia before 1453:

Edited by the_oz - 13-May-2007 at 07:20
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 12:03
That building is incredible - but have you see the Aya Irene? Which was used by the Ottoman Sultans as a treasury? It's a fairly large (but it looks like a Parish Chapel in comparison to that behemoth!) but usually locked and mainly forgotten. I had the pleasure to watch the Daniel Barenboim concert in there a few years ago!
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 00:11
The Hagia Sophia is one of my favorite buildings and is one of the things I want to visit before I die! The place is THE masterpiece of Early Byzantine architecture and is a defining element of Istanbul. I have a friend who stayed in Turkey for a week over spring break and she said that the Hagia Sophia made her almost fall to the ground in awe.

"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2008 at 05:14

Hagia Sophia Floor Plan:

I think it was a copy of the palace of Shapur I at Bishpur which was built in the 3rd century:

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 22-Jun-2008 at 05:15
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2008 at 15:59
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Hagia Sophia Floor Plan:

I think it was a copy of the palace of Shapur I at Bishpur which was built in the 3rd century:

No, it was not. Until Justinian's time the Byzantine churches were of one of two types: nave plan or central plan (the central plan was having a circulary organization and a central dome). Justinian thinked to combine the two and did it first at Saint Serge and Bacchus:

http://www.skt.org.uk/CJdeM1314/The_Church_of_St_Sergius_and_St_Bacchus_TR.html

Than he made the reconstruction of Hagia Sophia in the same idea. And since than all the Eastern church buildings are combining the nave and the dome.

DokDi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote DokDi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2008 at 11:56
Could you give me contact info, preferable email addy, for originator of this photo? Thanks.
DokDi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote DokDi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2008 at 12:04
Why without minarets? Usually I admire Islamic architecture, but these minarets look like phallic rockets, not the usually graceful and lofty structures that rise like ascending prayers.
DokDi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote DokDi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2008 at 12:09
Do you have email addy for your friend who did the photo without minarets? Thanks.
Bernard Woolley View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Bernard Woolley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2008 at 02:02

I went to Istanbul earlier this year (by far my favourite vacation so far). We arrived at our hotel late at night, so we only had a very general idea of where we were. I can't describe how surprised we were when the call to prayer woke us up and we looked out the window:

http://image69.webshots.com/169/2/6/63/2840206630102940805MimiJp_fs.jpg

Of the photos we took of the Ayasofya, this one was my favourite:

http://image69.webshots.com/169/6/61/83/2926661830102940805urGVRR_fs.jpg

I'm not sure why I like having those electric cables in the photo, maybe it just throws into relief how much the world has changed and grown around this building over the centuries.

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2010 at 17:00
You have seen nothing until you see Istanbul from the sea! The Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sophia, and the Ottoman palaces are very visible from a cruise ship like I was able to take, in 1999!

I have some wonderful video of it!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12