Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

America's Contributions To Society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
chimera View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chimera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: America's Contributions To Society
    Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 15:39
BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Climate change: The big emitters
The US emits more, absolutely and per head, than any other country - although it also ... China is the world's second biggest emitter of greenhouse gases, ...
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3143798.stm - 48k - Cached - Similar pages
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 15:44
I stand corrected and I thank you. But this does nothing to lessen the other point i made:

.... But it is also often forgotten or ignored by those who lay the entire world's ill fortune on the United States. Typical really."

that yet all to often remains the consenus of the anti-americans, no matter the concern, but that is to be expected.Wink

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 22-Feb-2007 at 15:48
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

chimera View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote chimera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 16:06

Well,yes, this thread is "America's..."

Some of my best friends are Americans, and everyone is balanced on 2 legs.

chimera
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 16:30
yes indeed. now turn the word around and or replace it with another nation's name and then do a comparision and contrast..you might find it enlightening....but you would probably certainly see just as much if not more venom directed at Americans, especially if you use a chronological approach let's say from 1945 onwards.

It's the nature of the beast at this stage in history and as easily as i might go off on to some psuedo psychological tangential approach ref., historical decline and jealousies of nation states and or ethnic groups, bitterness and percieved loss of influences and face etc... i won't. it isn't necessary.

S. T. Friedman

chimera View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote chimera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 17:25
Is the invasion of Amerindian countries by US the basis for the westward occupation of Pacific islands and invasion of Vietnam?
chimera
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 17:57
well as i said:

"It's the nature of the beast at this stage in history and as easily as i might go off on to some psuedo psychological tangential approach ref., historical decline and jealousies of nation states and or ethnic groups, bitterness and percieved loss of influences and face etc... i won't. it isn't necessary."

and you just proved the point.

but from a generalist perspective one might be inclined, assuming by amerindian countries you mean those independent tribes and or nations exclusive to N America, to say no.

The historic rationale behind that is simply that Americans were still busy for a myriad of scoial, economic (primarily) and nationalistic, reasons to continue the trend of the phenomena ascribed as 'manifest destiny' to be overtly concerned, certainly insofar as the mass of conscious opinion was concerned, prior to 1860 and then after most assuredly...reference the acquistion of these territories.

While otoh, one might make a case for the western pacific isles, based on the conditions, following the Spanish-American war, reference your question,  to be similar; it, imo, was not  however all encompassing in action, unless one is willing to already grant the major power  expansionist phenomena known as 'imperialism'.

And the subsequent nationalistic percieved need to acquire subjects,resources et.al as a means of nationalistic primacy and force majure examples of projection of power by the players.

Alas, Vietnam can't be ascribed to either two earlier periods as easily, certainly not using the general rationale,but was and remains and more an example of cold war reactionary politics, involving the containment of the percieved threat and expansion of communism, into the region;that earlier allies and the US had held imperialistic sway, specificaly the British and French and Dutch, the US to the lesser degree.

But if you are suggesting that the later was an example of US, never to leave continue to bleed the area dry tactics, I would disagree and point out the independence of Cuba and the the Philippines, as a counter, first...   

not to mention the return of sovereignity to Japan and her historical possessions, which is something the Russians have yet to do,

...to the age of imperalist expansion...and post WW2 and cold war era.

S. T. Friedman

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 18:20
Very good youngnWink
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 18:20
very good yougin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2007 at 19:36
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Yes. Unfortunately many people has to leave this country. It was the fight between comunism and capitalism. Both European ideas, you know LOL

It's never your own fault, is it?

That's all.

You (intentionally?) missed the War of the Tripple Alliance, which reduced the male population of Paraguay with 90%.  

NO. It was not my fault.

Now, with the topic of the Tripple Alliance you are right. That was the most devasting and cruel war that ever happened in South America. Two large countries and an opportunistic allied country, against one of the smallest an poorer countries of South America. Yes that was a huge crime and there is no denial.

I was just arguing that, in number of death, Europe is several order of magnitude more violent than Latin America. At least up to the Yugoslavian war.

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Since 1815, exactly 5 people have been killed in military conflicts in Sweden, demonstrators shot and killed by a group of conscripts at dalen in 1931.

Though I do see your point, Europe of today is very different. I really think you should go there and see for yourself instead of spewing out hatred all the time.

Perhaps Sweden was the exception, but I don't need to repeat what happened in Europe in the 20th century.

I just want to tell you one thing. I don't spread hatred. See me in the way you see a mirror. I am just sending back to you people all the predijuices and discriminations we and all the "poor" guys, suffered from Europe during ancient generations.

Even today, when Britain does not want to return the Falkland to Argentina, or when France carries its nuclear waste by our coast without our permission, we remember that there still lots of think to do to stop Europe for pushing us at last.

And I have no doubt Europe is great in many things and in others is quite wrong. We know everything about that place because every Latino has relatives or friends living in Europe.

Regards,

Omar

Edited by pinguin - 22-Feb-2007 at 19:39
chimera View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote chimera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 18:07
There is also the interaction between Amerindians, such as Aztec and others with human sacrifice on a huge scale. Northern tribes also tortured captives to death. It seems that all peoples have much the same in high and low levels of cultures, and in technologies for healing and wars.
chimera
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 19:01

Well, Norse, Celt and German tribes were not better. Norses practised the "angel", a quite sadistic torture, and for the rest human sacrifices were also common. Roman were very brutal as well.

But you can't blame the sporadical sacrifices of Incas 5 centuries ago on the shoulders of today's South Americans. And that has anything to do with the fact France made his nuclear experiments in the Pacific and keep transporting nuclear wastes through the Cape of Horn!

chimera View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote chimera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 19:10
Research was done after Chernobyl when little damage was seen in animals and humans. A little natura radiation is good for you as it stimulates the immune system. French nuclear material is a great contribution and should be dropped from aircraft across the country.Clap
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 19:12
Well, Keep the French waste in your city, then.

chimera View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote chimera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 19:16
We will, after France supplies all its own needs. Or Iran does.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 19:39

France, what an hypocrital country. I am afraid I preffer the U.S. to France

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 21:09

Unfortunately, everything many of today's people can't imagine to live without. This description finds its name in the term "popular culture"

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Ellin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Ellin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 23:52

The first things that crop to mind when I think of America are denim jeans and coke.  Two things I couldn't live without even if I tried.

But one other contribution they have made (at least I think it's theirs??) not necessarily the most significant of all, would have to be the concept of the "supermarket" (with all it's pros and cons).  Something that I would say has become a major part of just about "everyone's" life.
And something we couldn't go without since it's become such a convenience/necessity etc.

ps  I realise it's an offshoot of what used to be classified as the general store that were already operating in some other countries, but the Americans further developed and fine-tuned it to what it is today and also promoted it around the world. (me thinks ??)

"Grk ppl r anarchic & difficlt 2 tame.4 this reasn we must strike deep in2 thr lang,relgn,cult& hist resrvs, so that we cn neutrlz thr ability 2 develp,distinguish
themslvs/ 2 prevail"..up urs Kisngr
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678