Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What to do?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to do?
    Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 14:54
Here was an interesting situation I saw put forth in a memoir by a Soviet general who defected to the West:

You are the commander of a division with its three brigades marching line abreast against heavy enemy opposition over fairly similar terrain in each of their sectors.  One of your brigades has become bogged down and has halted.  Another took a bad beating and is slowly executing a fighting withdrawal, and has withdrawn about a mile since yesterday's fighting.  Your third brigade is inching forward against stiff resistance. 

You decide to commit a part of your reserve, namely a tank battalion and an artillery battalion to one of your brigades.  To which brigade commander would you give these forces?

Edited by Genghis - 23-Oct-2006 at 14:55
Member of IAEA
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 15:18
Hmmm, pretty inflexible Rules. Ideally i would split the ACR up, and send the individual sqn on different mission, you need one for scouting, and this I would send that forward as a Combined Arms team with an Inf Coy, to cover the retreat. A second would be combined with another Inf Coy to help the BDE to break out (and the would have the artl support). The third tank would be on the flanks as part of a covering force on the bogged down BDE.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 15:34
The Soviet general in this book said that in the Soviet army, the reserves would go, without question, to the brigade making at least some progress.  The rationale being that since he is succeeding he has the "right" to ask for more assistance, and will probably be able to put it to good use.  Retreating formations would only get assistance if it were necessary to prevent disaster.

I'm not sure I agree with his rationale, but I do agree that it is usually a better use of reserves to have them exploit success instead of mitigate failure. 
Member of IAEA
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 15:57
I agree, but in the above senario you have the instance of a flank falling statcic and a center breaking. You need to cover those first. You can risk with one, not with both.

A flank or a center threted , a riposte on another sector could help relieve the situation, and hopefully create oppourtunities on the offense as well.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 16:40
I disagree with the general's rational about the "right" of the advancing brigade to ask for reinforcements, reinforcements should be deployed to wherever they will most effectively secure completion of the objectives.

I would send it to the advancing brigade if enemy numbers are small and victory is needed quickly. If we have more time or enemy numbers are very significant, I would send it to assist the bogged down brigade. Freeing that up will give the advance twice as much power. The retreating brigade is already in poor shape from casualties and exhaustion, plus we will have to wait for them to make up their lost ground, so helping them is the last priority.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 16:48
I would also send the reinforcements to the advancing brigade. The reinforcements would hopefully allow them to breakthrough the enemy lines, easing the pressure on the the bogged down brigade, which would allow that brigade to restart their advance!

As for the retreating brigade: To the GULAG with all of the miserable cowards! LOL
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 18:07
This is wwii and the tactics of the day were to create salients. Just like at Cannae retreating troops can be an advantage. The brigade that is advancing is hitting the weakest part of the enemy line. If you commit the tanks there and they break through the rest of the enemy army is further forward and the tanks can easily fall on their rear.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 21:48
Originally posted by Sparten

I agree, but in the above senario you have the instance of a flank falling statcic and a center breaking. You need to cover those first. You can risk with one, not with both.

A flank or a center threted , a riposte on another sector could help relieve the situation, and hopefully create oppourtunities on the offense as well.

Well, you actually weren't supposed to know about their relative locations, you're supposed to assume that in this General's hypothetical battle, the location is not a major factor.
Member of IAEA
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 12:15
What are the enemy's reserves and what's their status (engaged, waiting, marching?).
It looks like infantry fighting, are there supposed to be any tanks available on the other side?
What about air forces and artillery?
If it's just infantry then sent most of the reserves (2 companies - btw since when did the soviets used tank battalions? I think they worked with regiments) to the advance and keep some (1 company) for manoeuvering. Group all the reserve artillery to support the breakthrough.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 21:34
A Russian general wouldn't have any choice: attack! attack! attack! at best you win at worst you get killed but at least you avoid Siberia.
I am a free donkey!
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 01:42
Sparten knows what he's talking about I think. Use your scouts to find a weak spot in the enemy frontage or an exposed flank then throw everything you have in reserve in and try to make the other enemy units retreat or risk getting cut off. Once an armor unit breaks through it's first mission should be to find a nice soft target like an HQ unit or logistics center and do as much damage as possible so that you get commanders screaming for help on the comm net and throw enemy operations into confusion.

Soviet tactics were too inflexible and their causualty rates reflect it.
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 17:26
The Soviets always reinforced success not failure, so the brigade that was advancing would get the reinforcements. As a non soviet I would want to see the whole picture!! how are the other divisions doing? then I would make my decision.
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 17:27
Hmm...I think I'd use them to help the advancing unit in the hope that would break the standstill. That would allow my retreating unit a breathing space and allow the possiblity of either attacks to the enemies rear or a flanking movement towards the bogged down unit.

That seems a bit risky but I'm reliably assured that risks win battles.
 Post Reply Post Reply