Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A History of Uighur Religious Conversions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Uyghur Oghli View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Uyghur Oghli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A History of Uighur Religious Conversions
    Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 17:33
An article of interest (pdf):

A History of Uighur Religious Conversions (5th - 16th Centuries)

by

Li TANG

Asia Research Institute
National University of Singapore

litangpkcn@yahoo.com

June 2005

http://www.ari.nus.edu.sg/showfile.asp?pubid=518&type=2
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 18:52
do you have anything to say about? I dunno why should i read this, common man enlighten us why we should read it.
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 01:45
Originally posted by DayI

I dunno why should i read this
If you're interested in the religous conversions of Uygurs....well then you should read this.  It's that simple.
For Turks, the homeland isn't Turkey, nor yet Turkistan. Their country is a vast, eternal land: Turan!
-Ziya Gokalp-
TRK DNYASI Forum, join today.
heyamigos View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote heyamigos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2012 at 05:55
In caves of Bezeklik, you see the pictures and murals of ancient Buddhist and Nestorian Christian presence in the region, but one by one they were defaced and slashed by sword marks when the region in Timurlengs time forcibly converted to Islam and totally adopted the Turkic speech.
tomb_seeker View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote tomb_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2014 at 09:05
Timur Khan, not Timur Leng, that's not a honour for him :)
reitia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote reitia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2014 at 02:03
Hello,

For some time, I have been studying the history of the Tang Empire. During this period, there was a strong Turkic presence in China, especially along the western and northern frontiers. In addition to the Uighurs, who often converted to Christianity, there were two royal tribes called Ashina and Ashide, which practiced mainly Tengric shamanism. In Chinese sources, these tribes are called Tujue.

There is not much information available concerning the Ashina and Ashide tribes. Can anyone send me some details?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2014 at 08:10
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Snafu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2015 at 10:59
Tujue was just the Chinese name for the Turks. Specifically the Gokturks, who ruled Mongolia and much of central Asia during the early Tang dynasty. Later the Uighurs took over Mongolia and were also at war with the Tang much of the time. While they were in Mongolia the Uighurs were Tengriists and Manichaeans. 
 Post Reply Post Reply