Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cities of great contributions to mankind - Edited.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Which City has contributed more to the civilization of mankind?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [5.71%]
16 [45.71%]
2 [5.71%]
3 [8.57%]
2 [5.71%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.86%]
9 [25.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cities of great contributions to mankind - Edited.
    Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 07:03
You forget Paris my friend!!
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 17:43
Originally posted by Ikki

You forget Paris my friend!!

Thanks hermano.  I was sleepy.  Added it just now, in the section that I think it belongs as a renaissance city.

Edited by Hellios - 08-Oct-2006 at 17:44
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 17:48
Originally posted by Preobrazhenskoe

Nice, Hellios, now that's the way to do it! The (new) regional grouping was a good idea, I couldn't have done it better myself really.

Good thinking,
Eric

Thanks Eric.  You're a very nice fella.

Edited by Hellios - 08-Oct-2006 at 17:51
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 14:12
Originally posted by BigL

Beijing 2nd milennium bc ?
What about Kaifeng capital of Song dynasty.Thats important

Sorry, I meant 2nd millennium A.D. 

While Kaifeng was important, its importance, like Beijing, mostly stem from the 2nd millennium A.D.  It's period of glory, mostly during the Song Dynasty, was relatively shortlasting when compared to Chang'an (world class city from 2nd century B.C. to 10th century A.D.) and Luoyang (world class city from 8th century B.C. to 10th century A.D.)  Kaifeng became a world class city circa 10th century A.D. as a replacement of the declining Chang'an and Luoyang; however, it was gradually demoted to provincial status by 20th century A.D., and right now is no better than Xian (a.k.a Chang'an), also a provincial capital today.

To take an analogy, if Chang'an were Rome and Luoyang were Constantinople, then Beijing would be Moscow and Kaifeng would be Milan.

In terms of historical significance, I would argue that Nanjing has made more contributions than Kaifeng.  It was always a world class city before the 17th century, and is still arguably a major city.  It's significance in the 2nd millennium A.D. equals that of Beijing, and it has always been a significant city ever since 3nd century A.D.

I would rank the cities' significance as follows:

Chang'an >= Luoyang > Nanjing >= Beijing > Kaifeng

Edited by poirot - 11-Oct-2006 at 14:14
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 14:16
I agree, Paris must be there!!!!!!!!  And you might add Chicago to New York and Los Angeles.

Edited by poirot - 11-Oct-2006 at 14:17
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 15:30
Ok Poirot,  I added the 2 additional Chinese cities & Chicago, like you suggested.  Paris is in the same section as Athens, Florence, Rome, Venice.  The editor won't let me add more categories.  I've heard Paris is like the best of all those cities put together.

Edited by Hellios - 11-Oct-2006 at 17:25
Gun Powder Ma View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 00:27
Your poll is a bit asymmetrical. It has to be one of the first two packages. The others are no match.

Edited by Gun Powder Ma - 12-Oct-2006 at 00:28
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 00:40
Good new list.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 07:09
I think now is better
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 07:16
What kind of classification is this?
Athens,Rome,Paris and Florence together?
so we have all antiquity centers of western civilization,renaissance and one of the most important cities of 19th-20th (paris)
So ALL the western civilization together.-without looking upon to other cultures,the answer is really easy here.

Edited by Brainstorm - 12-Oct-2006 at 07:17
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 07:22
Originally posted by Brainstorm

What kind of classification is this?
Athens,Rome,Paris and Florence together?
so we have all antiquity centers of western civilization,renaissance and one of the most important cities of 19th-20th (paris)
So ALL the western civilization together.-without looking upon to other cultures,the answer is really easy here.

It started as an attempt to make a top 10 cities that have contributed most to mankind, but if you read the thread, you'll see how things changed.  It was a good learning experience for me - no more top 10's.  I know what you mean about how strange it looks now...

Edited by Hellios - 12-Oct-2006 at 07:26
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 07:27
You could change the thread in which culture contributed more to mankind,and why.
Although i wouldnt take part in this discussion.

Edited by Brainstorm - 12-Oct-2006 at 07:29
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 07:31
Originally posted by Brainstorm

You could change the thread in which culture contributed more to mankind,and why.
Although i wouldnt take part in this discussion.

Hehe yeah, that would be a nasty thread.

The Gypo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote The Gypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 09:18
i really cant say...all those cities existed in different time periods

i think they've been placed in a pretty abscure order...

ie: Alexandria, Cairo, Babylon, Baghdad, Tus, Ur

Alexandria is associated with the late ancient period for Egypt whereas Cairo was created in the Middle Ages. Babylon is younger than Ur etc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234