Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Peter The Great never modernizes Russia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Straha View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Straha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter The Great never modernizes Russia
    Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 22:54
So what happens to the world if Peter The Great never becomes Tsar and russia stays a semi-oriental backwater? Could this world see a scramble for Northland(well Russia/Siberia would need a special term for that area since I'd imagine that industrialized europe would NOT classify russia as "european" so Northland I think fits as a term) sometime after industrialization happens? Assuming we do see a scramble for northland I could easilly see quite a few people immigrating from mainland europe to the colonies(well Canada and the near-siberian northern midwest got a nice chunk of immigration in OTL so why not Russia, Ukraine, The baltics, transcaucasia, central asia and Siberia?)
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 05:21
Originally posted by Straha

So what happens to the world if Peter The Great never becomes Tsar and russia stays a semi-oriental backwater?

Well Russia wasn't backwater. Peter just "modernised" Russia's appearence -> European style clothing, prohibitation to wear beards.

Could this world see a scramble for Northland(well Russia/Siberia would need a special term for that area since I'd imagine that industrialized europe would NOT classify russia as "european" so Northland I think fits as a term) sometime after industrialization happens?

Why should Russia be called "Northland". The same would be Europeans calling China - Eastland, Japan - Isle of Eastland etc.
And ther wound't be a scramble for it, because Russia already was a strong regional power.

Post Reply Post Reply