Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap graphics card recomendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap graphics card recomendations
    Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 17:41
One that will give a respectable boost to my computer's performance, without raping my wallet.

I don't need uber power, anything relativly up-to-date is gonna improve my performance, and idealy i don't want to pay more than 30 pounds.
-I don't need DVI support (though that is increasingly becomming standard it seems).
-AGP slot.
-128 RAM is fine, but if more than that at reasonable low cost is possible, fine.
-Must support directx9+ and latest openGL stuff for 3D funkiness.

So far i've been looking at a generic RADEON 9250SE based card or an XFX GeForce FX 5200, both are in the mid-20s range price wise, and have enough beef to keep me happy.
Radeon
GeForce

If forced to chose between those two, which one?
Can i do better?
There are a few just above the 30 pound mark that give me 256mb memory, is it worth spending an extra five pounds for that?

This is really a short term fix untill i get a new computer, so i don't want to spend too much.
Arrrgh!!"
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 13:14
GeForce -> more reliable !
And yes, it is worth spending those 5 pounds for 256MB.

Though depends how fast you will get your new pc.
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 14:28
I recommend you GeForce 4 Ti series.Now i use GeForce 4 Ti4200 and it is working very good.Its only disadvantage is that it doesnt support Pixel and Vertex shaders 2.0.
But it is much better video card than Radeon 9250SE and Fx 5200.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 17:19
The  4 Ti series seems a bit old, by the looks of it it doesn't support DirectX9 stuff which is pretty much the problem i have with an existic geforce 4 card (which i've removed from the computer because its actualy faster without it.)

What about this one:
http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=22197

Edited by Cywr - 29-Sep-2006 at 18:18
Arrrgh!!"
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 18:50
Hmm, i'm starting to think that the best bang for buck in the price range i'm aiming for is an ATi
Something like this
Arrrgh!!"
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 16:40
The AGP is a perspectiveless interface. For less money you can buy better performance VCard with PCI-express, such as Gf 6200. Get rid from the old stuff!
BTW the Radeon 9550 isn't bad, but it's alredy old. For ATI vcards the best price/quality ratio goes to Sapphire.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 11:06
Its for an older motherboard, so PCI-E isn't an option, unless...... *reaches for screwdriver....*

Edit: No.

Edited by Cywr - 03-Oct-2006 at 11:09
Arrrgh!!"
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 23:10
Some more questions.
The Geforce FX/5 range, have they been unfairly knocked? Or are they genuinly a bit on teh crap side?
I'm thinking that i might look towards an ATI 9600XT, as i think i could get one for a reasonable price, might beable to make that a 9800XT/Pro if it goes well.
What would be the nVidia equivilents? SO i can make performance/price comparasons.
Arrrgh!!"
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 16:56
Well i got a GeForce 7600 GS, which is sort of an improved 6600 GT performance wise.
I have officialy joined the 21st century.
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply