Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Layard and Abdurrahman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Layard and Abdurrahman
    Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 11:46
Does anyone have the famous English quote that Sheikh Abdurrahman told Austen Henry Layard after finding the lion-statues?

I found no copy of it in the internet after small searches, but I hope that anyone of you can tell me a link or knows it. Although I found a small part of it but have lost it once more.

Thanks for any help...

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 09:48
'This is not the work of men's hands,' exclaimed Sheikh Abdurrahman, who had galloped to the mound on the first news, 'but of those infidel giants of whom the Prophet, peace be with him! has said that they were higher than the tallest date-tree; this is one of the idols which Noah, peace be with him! cursed before the flood!'
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 10:21
Yep, this is the part I found, I think, but I was more like searching for the whole quote.
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 02:46
"I was not surprised that the Arabs had been amazed and terrified at this apparition. It required no stretch of imagination to conjure up the most strange fancies. This gigantic head, blanched with age, thus rising from the bowels of the earth, might well have belonged to one of those fearful beings which are pictured in the traditions of the country as appearing to mortals, slowly ascending from the regions below. 'This is not the work of men's hands,' exclaimed Sheikh Abdurrahman, who had galloped to the mound on the first news, 'but of those infidel giants of whom the Prophet, peace be with him! has said that they were higher than the tallest date-tree; this is one of the idols which Noah, peace be with him! cursed before the flood!' In this opinion all the bystanders concurred."
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 13:55
Great work Sharrukin, but I feel that this still isn't the one I am thinking of. Let me give you an example, from my rough translation of Estonian to English it begins with:

"Amazing! Amazing! There is no God except Allah and Mohammed is his Prophet! On the name of the most Holy One, o bey, tell me, what do you want to do with these stones. To waster so much money on these things. Is it possible that your people indeed does get wisdom of them? ...

For years I have lived on this land. My father and his father lived arose their tents here before me; they knew nothing of these statues. Twelve centuries ago the Muslims - praised be Allah, they alone wield the true wisdom - to live on this land and none of them had heard of these underground palaces and none of those who lived here before them.
    And look! There a Frank comes from a land that is a many days way abroad and heads directly to the right place. Takes a stick and draws a line: one here, other there...

Have you learned of this by books, magic or your prophets? Tell me, o bey. Reveal the secret of wisdom!"

Although I think that this is a fair enough translation of this text, it is still extremely rough, but I saw it in C. Ceram's 'Gtter, Grber und Gelehrte' transaltion to Estonian.
 Post Reply Post Reply