Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hussite Books

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hussite Books
    Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 12:59
Well I'd rather the History forum was for history but this seemed the best place.

I'm about to start on a project about the Hussites and was wondering what the best books would be for this. The question is to explain how the Hussites were so successful Militarily, Politically and Economically until the break up of their forces culminating in the Orebites and Taborites slaughtering each other.

Many thanks.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 15:07
A good start might be Osprey's The Hussite Wars: 1419-36.

Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 00:54
I wrote a research paper on the Hussites, so you could cite it as a reference Wink I could email it to you, if you want.

Anyhow, the one Emperor Barbarossa mentioned is excellent for just a brief understanding of the war. If you have money to burn, you have to have Fudge's Crusade Against Heretics in Bohemia. It's a translation of more than two hundred original sources, plus some commentary. You get most of Vavrinec of Brzezova's work, which unfortunately breaks off near the end of the third crusade, and parts of Pius Aeneas Piccolomini's description of the times, plus much else. Really, I very highly recommend it. I've also read Kaminsky's A History of the Hussite Revolution, which is one of the dullest books I've ever read -- a ton of excellent information and analysis, especially about the time between Hus's burning and the First Defenestration, but rather poorly presented to the common reader.

Aside from those there are some good web resources as well. I heartily recommend a search of Google Books for terms related to the Hussites (be sure to use all permutations of names -- jan/john hus/huss; jan/john zi(z/s)(k/c)a). Writers in the 1800s wrote a good deal more about the Hussites than modern writers do, and some of them have excellent information. I personally loved as a source this selection from Macmillan's Magazine. http://www.warfareeast.co.uk has an excellent section about the Hussites (it will be a wonderful website if it's ever finished!) and Wikipedia is good, as far as Wikipedia goes. Even our own allempires.com has its own little article (and no, Emperor, I'm not talking about yours, which was released after my paper was done. Quite possibly it is good too.)

Also, a Christian novelist from the 19th century wrote a novel about it, which is a better source than you might think -- she's an excellent historical fiction writer, appears to have had access to many good sources, and when running into historical events with historical people always tells them directly. (The final two chapters do not have the same historical quality and I wonder whether or not she was in a rush when she added them, as they serve only to tie up a few loose ends.) You might have a look for it at http://www3.telus.net/public/inhpubl/webip/ip.htm -- it's called Crushed Yet Conquering by Deborah Alcock.

Incidentally, you have quite a bit of reading to do! In the final tragic battle of Lipany, the Orebites and Taborites were allied against the Catholics and Utraquists. They were slaughtered together.

Edited by Timotheus - 23-Sep-2006 at 00:56
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 14:42
"(and no, Emperor, I'm not talking about yours, which was released after my paper was done. Quite possibly it is good too.)"
Dampier, I added much to that old article in my newer one, but Timotheus's article is much better than mine.

Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 16:41

Well first things- thanks a lot guys!

I do have the Osprey (but sadly as proven by my lapse- I blame it on writing my post at one in the morning while functioning soley on coffee!) it was a while ago.  I've also searched out all the AE articles already (and Ricks Bibliography was rather useful- Thanks!). I've also checked Amazon and AbeBooks-although I didnt find all the books you suggest Timotheus, which I will be getting for sure. I also managed to find the Warfareast (lovely site even for non players of DBM) which is great.  I'd love to have the research paper thank you! Obviously you'll be in the Bibliography. Please do e-mail it; xeoran2000@yahoo.co.uk .

Thanks again you two.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 18:49
You are welcome, Dampier. It may be good to emphasize the fact that Jan Zizka and the Hussite Wars are greatly overlooked in history, and there is no reason why they should be. In the Hussite Wars, we see the end of the "invincible knight", the beginning of the use of gunpowder-based weapons, and the beginning of the Reformation. We also see a great general who never lost that fought his best when he was blind.

Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 07:28
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

You are welcome, Dampier. It may be good to emphasize the fact that Jan Zizka and the Hussite Wars are greatly overlooked in history, and there is no reason why they should be. In the Hussite Wars, we see the end of the "invincible knight", the beginning of the use of gunpowder-based weapons, and the beginning of the Reformation. We also see a great general who never lost that fought his best when he was blind.

Those really are the reasons I love the subject. However the Swiss reaction to Burgundian attacks (and their development of the pike and halbed) as well as the Flemish militias were also a great part of the end of the invincible knight.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 08:56
Originally posted by Dampier

Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Those really are the reasons I love the subject. However the Swiss reaction to Burgundian attacks (and their development of the pike and halbed) as well as the Flemish militias were also a great part of the end of the invincible knight.
Yes, that is another reason which led to the end of the knight. Also, the "hedgehog formation", with pikemen or halberdiers forming a phalanx with gunmen behind also led to the end of the cavalry charge.

Post Reply Post Reply