Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who made the first clock?? Romans or Aztecs??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The Philosopher View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who made the first clock?? Romans or Aztecs??
    Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 22:08
well my friend thinks that the Mayans or Aztecs made the first clock, i think the Greeks did. or maybe someone else, des anybody know who??   
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 22:44
I think it's a well-acknowledged and indisputable fact that the Chinese, not the Romans or the Aztecs, invented the mechanical clock.

For crying out loud, they even invented the world's first flush toilet!!!!!

Edited by flyingzone - 20-Sep-2006 at 22:45
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 22:53
who made the first mechanical movment and adopted the timeday and the night to it
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 23:04
well, i'm not talking necessarily about the MECANICAL clock, i mean like, what was the first civilization to complete a time makeing device, not necessarily mechanical, that was widely excepted at distributed.

my friend also believes for some reason that the Romans landed in the new world and for some reason began to conquor the mayans, at first i thought he was just kidding, but now i realize he is actually serious. thats of course not true right??
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 18:36
I think that we're talking about the hour-glass but I'm not sure when it appeared first. As far as the Romans invading the Americas, don't you think that the Romans, being the meticulus archivists that they were, would have made extensive records of the campaign? After all, the kept records for everything else. This fact as well as  the lackof any archaeological evidence makes this theory rather far fetched. You should ask your friend where he got his information from.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 20:36
If I'm not mistaken, the first truly impressive time keeping device invented in the West was done so in Ptolemaic Egypt, a water clock.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 16:38
yes then, but who made the first calendar??
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 16:40
second question, who made the most accurate calendar??

and i don't believe that my friend got information, he's just confused (i hope)
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 16:43
c'mon, somebody here has to know who made the first calender.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 18:15
Originally posted by Constantine XI

If I'm not mistaken, the first truly impressive time keeping device
invented in the West was done so in Ptolemaic Egypt, a water clock.

It wouldnt surprise me. Though I read they had water clocks(Clepsydra) around 1500 B.C. They used sundials to tell time well before that as well. There isnt really any first clock. Mespotamia,India and China all had variations of water clocks around the same time frame. The same with variations of sundials all the areas had it.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 03:25

For most of this stuff, you're probably right in saying Mesopotamia, Egypt or India. The Mesopotamians definately had the first calendar, but it was probably based on Astrology rather than Mathematics

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 08:48
Originally posted by Earl Aster

For most of this stuff, you're probably right in saying Mesopotamia, Egypt or India. The Mesopotamians definately had the first calendar, but it was probably based on Astrology rather than Mathematics

Well even that is kind of debatable. China had some old old calenders as well though I think egypts dated back 4000bc.

Heres an article on a pretty old lunar calendar
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/975360.stm

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 16:21

Sun clocks were known worldwide, and calendars as well. There is nothing special about calendars, indeed. All you need to do is to put two poles to mark the solsticies and there you are. Cleipsidras are nothing expectacular either, at least the traditional ones that only have a hole to let water to pour out.

The mechanical clock is another matter. The first where developed by the Greeks, and were mechanized forms of the cleipsidras. (Around 300 BC)

Now, chineses developed water clocks with an improvement. Instead of pouring water they used a water wheel, of the kind used in watermills, that rotated when water fall into it. They were the first to invent the ESCAPEMENT, a device that stopped the waterwheel and forced it to turn in a regular fashion. (Around 1000 A.D.)

The european where the first to build "solid state" mechanical clocks that worked by gravity on weights instead of falling water, and which used the escapement as well. The first mechanical clocks where built in Europe around 1300 A.C.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 03-Oct-2006 at 16:23
 Post Reply Post Reply