Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beni Sulaym and the Beni Hilal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beni Sulaym and the Beni Hilal
    Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 20:31
Can anyone tell about the Beni Sulaym and Beni Hilal and their conquest of the Zirid Emirate?

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 21:47
Not that it helps, but I can't.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 00:45

I can tell you what I know which is that Bani Hilal and Bani Sulyem (Sulaym) are two Arab tribes that migrated from the Arabian peninsula to Egypt, and then to Northern Africa.

During the 10th century AD, the northern African subjects of the Fatimid empire (which was centered in Cairo Egypt and the builder of the Al-Azhar university) broke out of the Fatimid domain (who were of Shiite theology). Those emirates that broke out adopted Sunni Islam, including the Zirid emirate in Tunisia and Algeria.

During the 10th century, a famine struck both of the Arabian peninsula and Egypt. Tribes such as Bani Hilal (I think they are of Yemeni origin) and Bani Sulaym (of Eastern Arabia) migrated to Egypt. The Fatimid caliph had no mean of supporting those tribes that came under his domain. Instead, he thought of using them against his rivals in order to direct them out of Egypt (so no pressure on the sources) and to subjegate those independant states of Northern Africa under the Fatimid domain. The result was a massive invasion of northen Africa that resulted of the settling of those Arab immigrants to the region. The impact can be summerized in a political, demographically, and even geographically.

Politically, the region came under the Fatimid caliphate again except some strongholds that stayed with the Zirid emirate, such as Al Qayrawan in Tunisia.

demographically, it speeds up the Arabatization of Northern Africa (not necessary by race but by culture). For instance, Tunisia became a total Arabatized state from a Berber one.

Finally, geographically: unfortunately (in my opinion) the settling of those tribes in Northern Africa has changed many areas from previously agricultural regions to nomadic regions.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 00:30
excellent post ok ge Thumbs Up
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 02:44
Honored that you liked it Malizai. Smile
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
 Post Reply Post Reply