Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medieval Kingdoms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medieval Kingdoms
    Posted: 15-May-2007 at 14:47
Although you can't blame everything on me, this you might possibly even could...
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 02:52
Principality of Transylvania

1541-1688.

first p.:Jnos Zsigmond 1541-71.
last p.:II. Apafi Mihly 1684-1688.

from 1527 to 1918 every Habsburg kaiser:-) was a hungarian king too, except of II. Joseph (1780-1790).
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 01:56
You've messed up the years for the Bulgars,there were Bulgars on the Balkans in the sixth century on when emperor Zenno asked them to help him defeat the goths and some of them settled there as federati.However the first Bulgarian state and later empire was found by Kanasubigi Asparuh in 680-681 and lasted until 1018.

The second Bulgarian empire was restored in 1185 and ended in 1396 when the turks conquered it.

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 21-May-2007 at 01:59
Balain d Ibelin View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2007 at 19:30

I've asked Peter's Question until "Kingdom of Iberia". Now I'll continue it.

Seljuk Sultanate

Seljuk Sultanate was founded by Tughril Bey,the first Sultan, which his ancestor, Seljuk of Ghuzz or Oghuzz turkoman tribe. Tughril Bey unite many tribes and attack the Moslem World until finally they seized Baghdad and the Abbasyid Caliph Coronate Tughril as the Sultan of the Seljuks. Not long after it, Tughril's successor, Alp Arslan, turned to face the Byzantines. at the Cilmax, Alp Arslan faced Romanos IV at Manzikert, and Crushed the BYzantines. Then, Alp, made an agreement with Romanos which in it:

-Alp Arslan will free Romanos and his entire army peacefully

-Romanos IV will gave a certain huge amount of money for Alp and the Seljuqs.

After Alp died, the Seljuqs started to Collapse, it collapsed to certain Emirates and Sultanates, such as:

-Zangid Empire

-Sultanate of Rum

-Emirate of Damascus, etc.

This situation was used as a Chance by Alexius I and Manuel I.But they didn't succeeded very much. However, the Seljuqs finally captured Jerusalem and after that, since Peter 'The Hermit' arrival to Rome from Jerusalem and the Holy Land, the Crusade was started. Simply, we know Crusades, after 3rd Crusade, Emirate of Damascus declined, but Saladin and his descents raised the Ayyubid Dynasty.Seljuk Sultanate declined after it had collapsed to little Emirates and Sultanate entirely.

Kingdom of Georgia
         I think Georgia wasn't a Knigdom at that times, maybe a part of Khazaria or Seljuk Sultanate.

Emirate of Badajoz
         I don't know this, but there IS a town at Spain named Badajoz.

Seljuk Sultanate of Rum
         As I told, Sultanate of Rum was a fracture of the collapsed Seljuk Sultanate. Sultanate of Rum was positioned at the Heart of Modern turkey, As the Name suggest, Rum in arabic means Rome, because the Moslems thought the Byzantines were Romans. Rum Sultanate stands firm but declined slowly, until finally be united to the Ottoman Empire.

Zangid Empire
         The Zangid Empire was short-lived, started since Imaduddin Zengi reigned as Atabeg (Turk title for Duke, Baron) of Mosul and ends with the Death of Nur Ed-Din and the rose of Saladin.

I'll answer more later.

"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 06:40
Now, let's go more...

Kingdom of Jerusalem
          The Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem was started at 1099, the Siege of Jerusalem and its fall to the Crusaders, the first king was Godefroy de Bouillon, who was a simple-living man, and, he was also the founder of the Knights Templar. After his reign, he was succeeded by his brother Baldwin I de Bouillon. Then, after it, the Kingdom started to came into prosper and peace with the Moslems, but that wasn't long, when 2nd Crusade started, Imaduddin Zengi started to start a Turkish Rampage, but however, Jerusalem was kept safe. In 1070s, some name started to rose. But, Saladin started to rampage and started his Jihad, Jerusalem was threatened, finally Jerusalem itself fall to Muslim's hand at 1087. But, the Kingdom survived, after fall of Jerusalem Kings titled 'of Cyprus' reigned until finally the Kingdom was destroyed by the Mamluks at 1291 (or maybe 1299(?)) when Acre falls.

Principality of Antioch
          The Franco-Norman Principality of Antioch was founded by Prince Bohemond of Taranto at the fall of Antioch (Some thought Bohemond tried to led the Crusaders to found a new Kingdom as he wasn't allowed to be the heir of the Norman duchy and kingdom at Southern Italy and sicily by his father, Robert Guiscard). The principality was prosper and rich as at the ancient times, even, they've special 'connection' with the Byzantines (eg. Manuel I Komnenos married Princess Maria of Antioch). Like K. of Jerusalem, Principality of Antioch was also finally destroyed by the Mamluks at about 1290s when the Mamluks had cleared Mongol's 'reinforcement army' led by Hulagu and the others (Hey, this is just a speculation).

This is enough for this time, I think..

"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 07:57
Come on up again...
      County of Tripoli
        The COunty of Tripoli is one of the 4 Crusader States. BUT....
I also needed help for this one actuallyShocked.

Latin Empire
        What do you mean? Do you mean this as the Byzantines? I know much about the Byzantines...

Empire of Nicaea
         Nicaea?? Umm... I consider Nicaea as a part of the Byzantine Empire, so, it's not an independent Empire.

Empire of Trebizond
         Like Nicaea, but Trebizond is independent, you know.. But I don't think it was an Empire maybe Emirate or somewhat... One think I know about this: -It stretches at the coast of Turkey which faces the Black Sea and the Capital was Trabzon.
      Despoatate of Rhodes
         *NOTE*: This case is same as Nicaea

Kingdom of Cyprus
         Once, when Cyprus fell to Crusaders, it was at the hands of the Hospitallers, but soon it became an independent Kingdom. After fall of Jerusalem, the Royal Family of Cyprus were mostly also became the King of Jerusalem. Kingdom of Cyprus gone in about early 1200s, maybe about the time of Sack of Constantinople (1204), after that, it fell to the hands of the Hospitallers again. However, the Venetians and the Franks are the one who controlled the government of Cyprus.

Kingdom of Acre
         Acre?? Huh... *NOTE*:Same case as Nicaea but with different Kingdom, which is the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

Ayyubid Sultanate
         Yes.. The Ayyubid Sultanate was the dynasty that made up of Saladin and his royal family. Its heart was at Egypt, Saladin made the name 'Ayyubid' from the name of his father, Al-Ayyub of Damascus. Saladin's first war to structure this Monarch wasn't the War against the Kingdom of Jerusalem, but the war against the Fatimids and its Slave army. After the Fatimids are cleared away, the Ayyubids had a total grip of Power at Egypt, then, Saladin himself lead the war against the Crusaders, lefting his son and his brother Al-Adil to govern and control Egypt. After the 1st Generation, the Ayyubids growed into an economic powerhouse of the Mediterranians. They use their Turkoman slaves, the Mamluks, as their key army, but that, was a fault, and finally, at 1260, Baybars, a Mamluk, led the Mamluk to a rebellion and overthrow the Ayyubids and founded the Mamluk Sultanate which role over Egypt for about 1 century.

Kingdom of Armenia
         See my previous letters and find note of "Kingdom of Georgia", that is the note I also wanna right about Armenia.

Next... About Iberia.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 09:52
Empire of Nicaea, I believe is thought here as the part of the former Eastern Empire that was left independent after the Latins took Constantinople in 1204 and was later ruled by the Despot of Nicaea.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 19:28

Let's continue..

Iberia
       Kingdom of Galicia
         Gallicia?? Umm... do you mean Kingdom of Asturias?

Kingdom of Castile
         Castile was a Zealous and Pious Catholic Kingdom brought to life at the time of Rodrigo Diaz (El-Cid). It maybe founded by some Leon nobles. Castile fought many battles against the Moors to reconquest Spain, at their Early times, they set up a rivalry with Aragon and the people of Basque (This rivlry is still set up until now, check the reaction of the Catalonians when Real Madrid wins this season, if you don't believe..LOLWink)

Leon was conquered by the Castileans (or maybe united ??Confused) finally at 1230. After that, the temper with the Basques are lowering.. And then they became friends, but they're not United, the War against the Moors are still fought.....  And in late 1300-s, a country came into being and set up a Naval and economic powerhouse of the Mediterranian, Portugal. Portugal sets up a rivalry with the Spanish (both Castile and Aragon) on Naval. The pope is a bit implicated with this... He said the Portuguese are the right side, and ordered the Spanish to resign..

Then, the "Los Reinos Catolicos", Ferdinand and Isabella, unite Aragon and Castile to became one, which is Spain. And they're fanatics (The king and the queen).. thay finally swept Spain from the Moslems (And also Jews). The non-catholics who were baptized and stay in Spain were Inquisited, if Guilty, they're burnt..

And there the history of Castile (with a little of Aragon history) ended. Since 31 August 1492, they became Spain.

County of Barcelona
         I don't think it was a county. I think it was a part (or even Capital) of Aragon.
Explorador View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Explorador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 15:14
Technically, there wasn't a country called Spain in 1492. Ferdinand and Isabella never called themselves King or Queen of Spain, and Castillians and Aragonese were consider foreigners in the other kingdom. The laws and institutions were slowly unified in the following centuries.

I think Galicia used to be a kingdom, but eventually became part of Leon, or maybe Castille. Castille and Leon were united and divided more than once during the Middle Ages, if I remember correctly, by marriages.

The Kingdom of Asturias is considered the first Christian kingdom after the Muslim invassion, and eventually became the Kingdom of Leon.

Before they became part of the Crown of Aragon, what is know Catalonia was known as Catalan Counties. There were four kingdoms in the Crown of Aragon: Aragon, Catalonia, Valencia and Majorca (the Balearic Islands).
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 18:31
At its end, Second Bulgarian Empire was split on three:
1. Vidin Tsardom
2. Turnovo Tsardom
3. Despotate of Dobruja (=Principiality of Karvuna)

There were plenty of small states in Macedonia and South Serbia but I do not remember their names.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 19:25
Let's go on it....

Kingdom of Leon
          Leon was a principality build maybe from the development of the Kingdom of Asturias... The Principality, situated in the Northern Areas of Spain and fortified by some mountains resisted from the Moslems but their Free Areas on the Valleys caused some headquarters for Bandits and Raiders.. The Kingdom of Leon was an ally which has specials to the Umayyad Spain.But, in 1070s, the time of Rodrigo Diaz, the "El-Cid", the relation started to broke and War started.. After 1100s, for the history... Refer to the "Castile" Note.

Kingdom of Navarre
          Navarre... Hard... Navarre was a Basque region Kingdom which (maybe..maybe..) the Predecessor of the Kingdom of Aragorn and maybe also some of its region conquered by Leon. That's what I know...

Emirate of Majorca
            ConfusedConfusedConfused

Kingdom of Portugal
          At first, Portugal was an empty land with no Kingdom or Fiefs. Only villages and minor cities. In late-Medieval, Portugal developed to became Kingdom.. They were monopolys of Fish trade. One of their Princes, Henrique, half-Potuguese half-English, obsessed to conquer the Fish trading World. He ordered an expedition to the Madeira Islands, there, he made the biggest fishing Ship of the World. After conquering most of the Fish trading world, his exploration didn't stopped there, after that, he ordered the fleet to Africa, kidnapping some Africans as Slaves and finally reaching Cape Horn and round it back to Portugal again. After that, Portugal set up a colony in Africa, baptisizing some native Kings... In that time also, the Portuguese fiught a naval War against Spanish.. And there the Medieval history of Europe ends.

Umayyad Caliphate of Spain
         The Umayyad Caliphate of Spain was satrted and found by the exiling Prince, Abdul Rahman. He escaped the killings expedition by Abul Abbas of the Abbasids, he was absent from the "death dinner" but he was then chased by the Abbasids assasins, he swam into the River Euphrates with his brother, his brother came back to the river side and was killed, seeing this, Abdul Rahman keep swimming and reches the other end and "smuggled" to Morocco. He was helped by his trusty friends and reached Morocco safely. Then Abdul Rahman was invited to Spain by his loyal friends. He then became a Commander and finally became the Emir Abdur Rahman III and sets up the Umayyad monarch at Spain which lasts until hte 12th Centuries.. The Umayyads ruled the Al-Andalus with wisdom, but in 1100s they were disturbed by the Al-Murabitins (the Almoravids in English). Slowly and finally they declined into decay and ruins...

Nasrid Kingdom of Grenada
          ConfusedConfusedConfused

Next up..West Europe
Explorador View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Explorador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2007 at 12:06
Originally posted by Balain d Ibelin

Kingdom of Navarre
          Navarre... Hard... Navarre was a Basque region Kingdom which (maybe..maybe..) the Predecessor of the Kingdom of Aragorn and maybe also some of its region conquered by Leon. That's what I know...

I wouldn't say Navarre is a Basque region... It's claimed by Basque nationalists but Basque speakers are only a minority. Only a few zones are bilingual and only about 20% of population would like to join to the Basque Country. And I don't think it was a predecessor to Aragon, it was just another kingdom.

If I remember correctly, Navarre was assimilated by Castille almost at the same time the kingdom of Granada was conquered by Isabella and Ferdinand. However, Navarre kept its own laws and even nowadays some laws are different in Navarre than in other regions or Spain.
Red_Lord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red_Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 10:15
Originally posted by rider

Empire of Nicaea, I believe is thought here as the part of the former Eastern Empire that was left independent after the Latins took Constantinople in 1204 and was later ruled by the Despot of Nicaea.

What about Trebizond?I think it also was independent.
"The slave is fighting for freedom,free is fighting for perfectness"
Yane Sandanski
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 15:48
It was indeed. I believe it is included... however, I can't be sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345