Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Grey Cells - Exercise !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Grey Cells - Exercise !
    Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 13:44
I didn't get the parallelogram, but I was also working on assuming the matches weren't all parallel or orthogonal - e.g. I got led astray a while by the coincidence that a 3,4,5 right-angled triangle has perimeter 12 though sadly area 6.

So I'd accept deadkenny's solution, but I too can't for the moment think what Northman has up his sleeve.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 14:06
Originally posted by gcle2003

I got led astray a while by the coincidence that a 3,4,5 right-angled triangle has perimeter 12 though sadly area 6.

Yes - what a coincidence!
When you lay them up - take an extra look at that triangle... and- Smile

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 14:29
Originally posted by deadkenny

All I can come up with as a solution is a parallelogram, constructed with long sides of 4, short sides of 2 and with an angle of 30 degrees which gives a 'height' of 1 (see diagram).  That gives an area of 4 (base x height = 4 x 1 = 4).

I proposed this solution in a PM, however, Northman suggested that there was a more 'intuitively obvious' solution.  By that I assumed that the match sticks would be arranged at right angles or parallel to one another so that one could 'see' the four 'squares' making up the total area (as one can see the five in the righthand figure originally posted).  However, I can not see how, as the smallest area I can see being contained by the 12 match sticks, given the additional constraints is 5 - i.e. a 1 x 5 rectangle, or other forms topologically equivalent to it.  So I provide my solution, however, I will concede to anyone who can construct such a polygon with area 4, as I have described with the additional constraints.

p.s. I'm not sure how to post an image that I have 'constructed' myself, but is not on a website.

The parallelogram is a fine solution, but it takes some knowledge of trigonometry, so yes - there is another solution - not necessarily making "squares" - but more logical than mathematical.

You can upload pictures to this server while you are in in the large editor box. Click the icon for "Insert Image", and you get the possibility to browse your harddrive and subsequently upload the image.

deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 14:57
True, one can take the right triangle with sides 3, 4 and 5 and then 'move' the match sticks so as to 'cut out' 2 squares.  For example, assume that the base is the 3 side, the perpendicular side is 4 and the hypotenuse is of course 5.  Then take the 'bottom' 2 sticks of the 4 side, go one match stick towards the hypotenuse then down 2 to meet the bottom.  However, to 'prove' that is a proper polygon, one needs to 'prove' geometrically that the 'indentation' does not in fact reach to or past the hypotenuse.  To be honest, I do not find that to be a more 'obvious' solution than the parallelogram.  However, both are solutions to the problem as originally stated.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 15:04
Originally posted by deadkenny

True, one can take the right triangle with sides 3, 4 and 5 and then 'move' the match sticks so as to 'cut out' 2 squares.  For example, assume that the base is the 3 side, the perpendicular side is 4 and the hypotenuse is of course 5.  Then take the 'bottom' 2 sticks of the 4 side, go one match stick towards the hypotenuse then down 2 to meet the bottom.  However, to 'prove' that is a proper polygon, one needs to 'prove' geometrically that the 'indentation' does not in fact reach to or past the hypotenuse.  To be honest, I do not find that to be a more 'obvious' solution than the parallelogram.  However, both are solutions to the problem as originally stated.

Bingo - thats it.
You don't have to prove anything - you can see it directly:

you're up again deadkenny Smile
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 15:22
I agree one can 'see it'.  However, in the theoretical world of pure mathematics, we cannot accept visual evidence as 'proof'. Wink I can 'see' the result before I 'prove' it, however, it is a non-trivial matter to 'prove' that the line (2 match sticks) that 'cuts into' the triangle does not in fact touch the hypotenuse before it 'turns' down to the base.  That is of course a necessary condition to 'prove' that the shape is in fact a single polygon.  Personally I 'see' any solution involving match stick not being either parallel or perpendicular as being 'topologically' equivalent to a 'triangular' solution.  Of the 'triangular' solutions, I prefer the parallelogram.  Interestingly, the parallelogram described (with sides 2 and 4) can be manipulated to form any area between 8 (which would be a regular rectangle ) to zero (completely collapsed to a line).  I will try to post a picture once I figure out how to convert what I've done into one of the perscribed formats.  
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 18:00
Yes, I got deadkenny's answer over dinner, but didn't have time to post it. Northman's hint was enough.

In Northman's drawing, assume the triangle is drawn with the bottom left corner at the origin. The point where the base turns upwards is at (2,0) and the point - call it A - where it turns right again is at (2,1). The hypotenuse is described by the equation 4y=3x, so the point on it where x=2 is at (2,1.5) which is well above the point A. It's somewhat more tedious to calculate the nearest point on the hypotenuse to A, but it is definitely >0.

PS: Why do we say "a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse"?

Edited by gcle2003 - 03-Aug-2008 at 18:01
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 18:03
Originally posted by Northman

Bingo - thats it.
You don't have to prove anything - you can see it directly:

you're up again deadkenny Smile

OK, I'm going to 'weasel out' here a little bit.  My challenge is related to the figure Northman has posted as the solution to the previous challenge.  It is 'constructed' by taking a right-triangle with sides of length 3, 4 and 5 respectively.  Take 2 match sticks from the side of length 4 and move them one 'unit' into the triangle.  Then take the one matchstick from the 3 side and position it so as to 'close' the figure as shown.  Now the challenge is to 'prove' that is a  single polygon - i.e. none of the 'edges' intersect or cross one another.  The solution must be a complete mathematical 'proof'.  tongue
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 13:02

Starting bottom left, label the vertices A,B,C,D,E. Let A be the origin and AE lie along the x axis.

The equation of the line AB is given by y=3x/4.
The equation of the line AD is given by z=x/2.

z=x/2 -> x=2z -> y=6z/4

For any x y (height of the line AB) is always greater than z (height of the line AD).

Therefore AB does not intersect AD (except at A) and the polygon is single.

(Alternately the angle BAE is arctan(.75) = 36.87° and the angle DAE is arctan(.5)=26.57° and again AB is wholly above AD in the positive quadrant. )

deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 16:03
Very clever solution.  My thought was that you could form a smaller triangle by extending your line DE to AB and then use trig to show that that side of the triangle is longer than 1, which is the known length of DE.  However your 'line equation' method simply using the assigned coordinates of the vertices is much 'cleaner'.  

In fact I would say that simply defining the two lines running through AB and AE, and demonstrating that they intersect at A and then the slope of the AB line is greater than AE is sufficient (two continous functions, the difference of which [AB line minus AE line] increases as x increases from zero).

Edited by deadkenny - 06-Aug-2008 at 16:07
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 11:03
Assuming that puts me up again, try one Northman reminded me of:

Still with matches, but with the difference that matches can be joined at the ends only. However the joins are not rigid - the two matches can be at any angle and will slip around. So in general shapes formed by joining together matches will not be stable.

If you put three such matches together to form an equilateral triangle however, the resultant shape will be rigid (the matches cannot bend or break: only the joins are loose) because the angles at the vertices will always be 60° each. On the other hand if you form a square with four matches the square will not be rigid, because it can easily be pushed into a rhombus.

This is the problem. Using such matches, can you create a structure in which there is a completely rigid right-angle?  I.e. the geometry is such that the angle must be 90°, just as in a triangle the vertices must be 60° because the sides are all the same length.

The final question is what is the minimum number of matches required to produce that rigid right angle?

(When I first came across this, the result for a while was a group of us equipped with boxes of matches crawling around on the floor of El Vino's pub in Fleet Street, until they were on the point of asking us to leave Smile)
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 16:30
It occurs to me I maybe should clarify that it is permissible - indeed necessary - to attach more than two matches at the same point, so that you can, e.g., make a 'Y' as well as a 'V', as long as it is always at the ends. 
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 17:06
And I would be totally wrong assuming we are dealing with 3D?

Would an X (4 way) joint be allowed as well?

deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 23:12
I am implicitly assuming that we are working in 2 dimensions here.  My first take is a rather 'ugly' solution.  We start with the old 3x4x5 right triangle.  Now of course all of those 'flexible joints' allow it to be 'deformed'.  So we 'butress' the sides with interlocking equalateral triangles. If I counted correctly the total match stick usage is 45.  Now while I believe that satisfies the 'rigid right angle' requirement, I doubt that it does so with the minimium number of matchsticks necessary.
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 12:01
Finally got around to converting a couple of the diagrams from before.  Still get an error when I try to upload - says wrong file type, must be jpg.....  Except that it IS jpeg.  Any ideas what the problem might be?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 12:06

That's the approved answer. Of course you can get a rigid 90° angle using any other Pythagorean triangle, but they all use more matches essentially because they all have greater perimeters (the number of matches for perimeter p is 4p-3).

And a strip of equilateral triangles is the only way of providing the necessary fixed-length sides. If that isn't clear to anyone else the idea is that to 'buttress' n matches in a row, you create n triangles with each match as a base, and then 'roof' the whole thing with n-1 matches.

I was given the problem by a couple of aeronautical engineers, since apparently the rigid strip of triangles is - or was - a fundamental technique in aircraft construction.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2008 at 18:58
Someone must be sleeping Sleepy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678