Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the longest living civilization?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the longest living civilization?
    Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 09:00
Yes everyone hates Turks. We all understand whos is blind. They are asking you to provide prooves and you just insulting people. Please behave
And because i don't know how to search, i mean i always find sites of haters, can you provide a website or a book which is of course objective and you are using as your source. I will appreciate if you do that.

Thank you!!!

Edited by perikles - 02-Oct-2006 at 09:02
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
omergun View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote omergun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 10:08
Originally posted by perikles

Yes everyone hates Turks. We all understand whos is blind. They are asking you to provide prooves and you just insulting people. Please behave
And because i don't know how to search, i mean i always find sites of haters, can you provide a website or a book which is of course objective and you are using as your source. I will appreciate if you do that.

Thank you!!!

We keep insulting? Look, the three statements you made about Seluks, Tatars and The Trkish Language are all subjects everyone should know if they do know something. But, guys like you are the ones who are insulting us with your racist, hating vision time after time. It is your racist, hating vision i cant accept, the thruth is obvious.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 10:18

And I'm tired of seeing different topics being hijacked by Greek-Turk conflicts. If you cannot behave then please do not post at all or your posts will be deleted and warning (or bans if you continue) will fall.

I expect no more posts in that direction after my post!

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 01:00
The turks could also be the oldest. maybe the so called Indo European Aryans from the Steppes were the originators of the turks. That would make the turks the oldest in the world & the most developed. They had similiar otigins, cultures, history, way of life etc..
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Jeru View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Jeru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 15:28
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

The turks could also be the oldest. maybe the so called Indo European Aryans from the Steppes were the originators of the turks. That would make the turks the oldest in the world & the most developed. They had similiar otigins, cultures, history, way of life etc..

Can you support your claim?Turks being the oldest people on earth?And why would the oldest man on earth be the most developed?
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 00:54
The So Called Aryans / Indo Eurpeans had similiar nomadic origins as the turks, similiar So Called place of origin in central asia, spread out in similiar fashion etc...

These so  Called Aryans / Indo Eurpeans were also the most developed in their times, hence the statement.

Off course this is just a thought.
Celestial View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Celestial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 17:14
Sharma is right. Turks are the oldest nation in the world. The nomads who crossed from Siberia to North America were Turkish origin. They practiced the old Turkish religion Shamanism and spoke a language close to Turkish.

Edited by Celestial - 05-Oct-2006 at 17:15
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 00:49
They still are the strongest muslim country, despite the hollow nuke rhetoric of pakistan.
MidEast_Beast View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote MidEast_Beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 00:55
How is Hiduism the worlds oldest religion, when Zoroastianism was practiced in Persia before anyone heardof Hinduisim?!
Terrorists are those who create terror...
MidEast_Beast View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote MidEast_Beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 01:00
The oldest CIVILIAZATION was in mesopotamia in modern day Iraq. These people were of nomadic indo-aryan descent from the steppes of Asia.Wink
Terrorists are those who create terror...
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 02:23
Originally posted by MidEast_Beast

How is Hiduism the worlds oldest religion, when Zoroastianism was practiced in Persia before anyone heardof Hinduisim?!

The word Hindu is a very recent import. It denotes the religion only because it has been used for a long time.

A single Indian religion in reality is non existent. Rather it might be called a way of life.

You would be able to put hinduism as a collection of religions with their own philosophies, often confronting each other.

Thus you would find the Zorastrian Ahura Mazda being the same as the Indian Asura Mahadev. Notice how the S & H get changed to H & Z in the conversion from Sanskrit to Persian language. Asura Mahadev is still worshipped in India as one of the major dieties.

Ahura Mazda is said to have said that he recieved directions from Mitra, a god which was common as the supreme diety in the majority of Asia & parts of europe for a long time & was the chief iranian diety for close to a thousand years at least.

Incidentally Indian mythology also claims Asura Mahadev / Ahura Mazda to be the main diety of the Asurs / Ashurs (known to the west as the Assryians)

Mitra is still worshipped in India as one of the major dieties.

indian tamil View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote indian tamil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2008 at 10:52
oldest or longest surviving civlization is india.

culture similiarities are there between india and other civilizations
are innumerable
minoans,egyptians,sumerians,mayan,japanese,chinese etc
tremendous influence

linguisticly,culturally,etc

bharatnatyam(classical dance) in india practised more than 4000 years
martial arts
mathematical concepts
astronomy
medicine
architecture
etc
we are still following te same with minor changes

mother godess worship, phallus worship,snake worship, tree worship etc still prevalent in india

egptian and sumerian were very culturally indian
dud View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote dud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2009 at 15:46
Over the millenia, China and India were run by many different states. So it would not be fair to say that they lasted a collected amount of time. I do not know the actual answer, but I might guess the Neo-Assyrian Empire which lasted about 800 years. 
dud View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote dud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2009 at 15:49
Originally posted by MidEast_Beast

As far as I know, Zoroastrianism is not practised today. I think it is meant that Hinduism is the oldest religion still practiced. The oldest religion ever would probably not be what we consider to be a "religion." Rather a sort of mysticism (I imagine).
dud View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote dud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2009 at 15:52
Originally posted by Celestial

Sharma is right. Turks are the oldest nation in the world. The nomads who crossed from Siberia to North America were Turkish origin. They practiced the old Turkish religion Shamanism and spoke a language close to Turkish.

Would the Turks be considered a civilization? Civilization (as I would define it) refers to a settle society. The Turks were nomadic until roughly 1000 CE.
Voskhod View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Voskhod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2009 at 12:11
If you define "civilization" as any culture, then I think some obscure Amazonian tribe would be considered the longest living civilization.

The problem with this question though is where would you put the "origin" of a civilization? Is it when they begin to speak the language, adopt the religion or some other event? Aspects of civilization defined as that of a certain civilization have their origins at different time in history. To use India/Hindu civilization as an example, you could argue a "proto-Shiva" was part of the Harappan pantheon and even if that was really the case Hinduism as we recognise it did not come about until thousands of years later. For China, you could say a culture that was recognisably Chinese exists back in the time of the Shang dynasty, but China was not "united" until the Qin, and after that it experienced several periods of disunion. For the Turks, you could trace the origins of the Turkic languages back to X millenium BC, but the Turks as dud pointed out were largely nomadic until c.AD1000. Additionally, if a civilization drastically changed its character (say, adopt a different religion) would it still be considered the same civilization? (for example, Greece, Iran, etc).
"All the true heroes of history will be forgotten and all the villains will be remembered as heroes."
- Leo Tolstoy
dud View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote dud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2009 at 15:51
I agree with Voshkod. Cultures experience many politcal, cultural, and general shifts. For example, India before the turn of the second millenia CE. Prior to roughly 1000 CE, India was divided amongst Hindu tribes. Then the Islamic Turks invade and found the Delhi Sultanate. Could the Delhi Sultanate be considered just to be a part of the civilization "India?" The pre-Turk India and Delhi Sultanate have different religions, cultures, and political systems. I don't think it would be fair just to call that a part of "India" as a civilization.
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2009 at 22:19
It depends on what one means by "civilization". Minoan, Graeco-Roman, and Western civilizations, for example can be seen as either separate civilizations with an ancestor-descendant relationship or as 3 phrases of a single civilization. I prefer the first approach.

Thus, I would have the civilizational timeline of Eurasia as something like this:

**********************Orthodox Christian
**********************/
----Minoan-----Graeco-Roman---Western
********\
Egyptian---Irano-Levantine---------Islamic
********/
--Sumerian---Babylonic---x
********\
********Hittite---x******SE Asian
*********************/
-----Harrapan----------Vedic-------Hindu
*********************\
--------------------Sinic--------East Asian
****************\
****************Japanese

Going by my definition the oldest civilization is the East Asian, which emerged out of the aftermath of the collapse of the Han dynasty and the rise of Mahayana Buddhism.
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789