Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Albanian related to other languages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albanian related to other languages
    Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 22:01

Reading through the threads of this forums I noticed that many members have some knowledge on old and modern languages, as well as on their history. Probably some of them would like to share their knowledge on this topic, that i decided to start because I think that albanian is an interesting phenomenon (as a language). As you might know it is classified among IE languages, but it has no close relative. This language is related to latin, slavic (old bulgarian), greek and turkish, in terms of borrowed vocabulary, it has also a big share of words which are considered albanian propper, but gramatically, synthaxically, morphologically talking it remained an odd language. Historically most of the historians accept that it is related to the old Illyrian, others prefere thracian. Others link it to the Ethruscan, and then to the Basque and other pre IE languages, and others (few of them though) refere to the Caucasus Albania.

Now I dont want to start a flame war, so keep in mind that this topic is only about albanian language and its relation to other languages. Share what you know, and please save your time, dont post nationallistic data, dont quote ignorants on this issue (people who talk about albanian even though never heard a word in that language).
Prej heshtjes...!
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 02:17
This subject is interesting for me.

I think that Albanian is related to the old Illyrian and it resisted romanization due to isolated mountainous region (the plain Illyria was romanized) which coresponds with today Albania, like the Land of Basces preserved a pre-Roman language due to its mountainous geography.

I wait advised opinions and information.

Edited by Menumorut - 17-Jun-2006 at 02:18

Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 19:09
Originally posted by Menumorut

I wait advised opinions and information.

Well, I am also waiting, but apparently the fellow members do not have much to share, and they probably care less about this topic...Anyway, lets wait, I think there are some people here who are knowledged on languages and their history. I have read the posts of Maju and he/she was good, hopefully will post something here.
Prej heshtjes...!
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2006 at 11:41
    Could you provide some links with articles of study on Albanian language?

I have saved a document about the Romanian language and its relations with Balkanic languages, especialy Albanian at
(I forgot from where I took it).

Romanian and the Balkans: some Comparative Perspectives

Edited by Menumorut - 18-Jun-2006 at 11:43

GoldenBlood View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote GoldenBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2006 at 12:42
Menumorut, look here:

http://p083.ezboard.com/fbalkansfrm8.showMessage?topicID=4858.topic

Edited by GoldenBlood - 18-Jun-2006 at 12:55
Kosova dhe Ilirida, pjese te Dardanise
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 22:51

I read a book about the peoples of the Cauacus Mountains.  The author told of a local legend that the Albanian language originated on the Caucuses.  To support this legend, some locals showed the author some inscriptions on a rock that they had identified as "Old Albanian".

Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 21:17
Originally posted by Cryptic 

I read a book about the peoples of the Cauacus Mountains.  The author told of a local legend that the Albanian language originated on the Caucuses.  To support this legend, some locals showed the author some inscriptions on a rock that they had identified as Old Albanian.

[/QUOTE

There were many places called albania in the ancient times (one in scotland, one in the balkans and one in caucasus).But they were not related. About this you can find more info in previous threads on AE.

There were many places called albania in the ancient times (one in scotland, one in the balkans and one in caucasus).But they were not related. About this you can find more info in previous threads on AE.
Prej heshtjes...!
 Post Reply Post Reply