Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indecisive Battles of History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indecisive Battles of History
    Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 20:13
Yes, that is true - AGC was the 'main' offensive group.  However, I have to agree with Temujin that Kiev was a 'decisive' battle.  The Soviets allowed it to be so by trying to hold onto Kiev too long (due to Stalin's orders).  However, the 'southern' front had been holding much better than either the north or the center prior to the battle of Kiev.  Afterwards, AGS was able to advance all the way to the Mius River without any serious opposition by the Soviets.  That was even after forces were taken from AGS and given back to AGC for the 'final' offensive towards Moscow (i.e. Operation Typhoon).  The Soviets suffered a crushing defeat, suffered massive losses and lost much of the Ukraine as a direct result.  That makes Kiev a rather decisive battle in my book, although you may have a point that the effort perhaps should have been directed towards Moscow at that point rather than Kiev and an earlier 'Battle of Moscow' might have been even more decisive than the Battle of Kiev was. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123