Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black ottoman.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black ottoman.
    Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 10:34
what do you know about african people in the ottoman empire.
What was their role were they slaves, warriors, local rulers .

if you look on the left you see a african soldier or eaven a officer(he's on the first row)

what do you think
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 13:38

As far as i know the ottoman empire used several persons from different ethnicities to serve them in high positions, like army and navy officers. You can also find and rulers of specific regions. Their ethnicity was usually greek, jewish and italian, but propably there were a lot more. I had once found a very interesting story about an english ''pasha'', but don't know if its true.  My opinion is that black ottomans could be active members of the empire, but not in esteme positions, propably soldiers or petty officers. Sorry, for my english.

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 17:52
there where black womens in Ottoman harems who served the "valide sultans", kind of slaves.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 18:30
Slaves from many regions of the world could and did occupy very high positions in the government in Islamic empires such as the Ottoman. Racism was not a big concern as far as I know. Black slaves in the Ottoman Empire likely came from East Africa. I'm not sure about high placed black slaves in Ottoman history. but I am aware of petty muslim sultanates in India in the 14th and 15th centuries, where Abyssinian slaves  actually became high viziers, and thus the real power in the state.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 20:14
I think you are confused with the picture, isn't Almanzor from Al-Andalus?
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 20:15
Hi,

Just reading the Arabian nights (which are not set during the Ottoman period) one can realize how harsh were the anti-black people feelings in the medieval muslim society.
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 10:15
hi xi_tujue,
Just curiosity,who is that in the painting?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 10:17
I am so distracted,sorry for the repeat but ;
Just curiosity,who is that sultan in the painting?
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 11:21
Accually I don't know(pardon me) I gott it of a post on this forum.
There were pic of the conquest of constantinople fatih entering the city it stood.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 11:55
This is a 19th c. European painting presenting the conquest of Constantinople by Mehmet II.
I am a free donkey!
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 12:04
I was right ( whowhoooooooooooooo)Big smile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 12:40
thanx   guys..  By any chance does anyone knows the artist,if you don't think I take it too far?;)
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 16:54
ouch  Pinch i thought was Almanzor.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 17:41
African people were mostly brought to Anatolia as slaves or servants among the ships coming from Algeria,Libya and Tunisia.In those North African provinces of Ottoman Empire, slave trading was common and those were brought by the captains and pirate ships working for the Ottoman Empire, and eventually many of them were also brought to the Ottoman Palace.

I wish TJK was here to post about the issue..He knew quite a lot of deal about this issue and we had a great discussion with him about that in proboards time of AE.

Edited by Kapikulu - 10-Jun-2006 at 17:42
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
 Post Reply Post Reply