Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Children story(s), an insight into a cult

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pieinsky View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pieinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Children story(s), an insight into a cult
    Posted: 30-May-2006 at 08:41
We have a book on Japanese children stories at home. These little children stories are ambassadors of the nations they come from. They attempt to shape and mould childrens ideas on code of conduct.
 A common denominator I found in that book was the idea that a wealthy person was a happy person.
 Anyway I want and most likely in the future will continue for a long while  to want to know some of your interpretations of short childrens story you have read be it from your country or not. What do they express about that nation?Smile
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 08:52
Children's stories in Bosnia come in one of two forms. The first is gentle and loving and meant to express the cultural importance of a particular faith, respect for parents and older relatives, respectable behavior, male/female interactions, and so on. The other is, basically, a horror story meant instill some moral through fear. There's still a lot of 'ownership' of children here. You're not really you're own person until you reach a certain age, generally 17 years old, so doing exactly what you're told - whether it's piano lessons, working on the farm, studying at Egypt's most expensive private school, or babysitting your 15 brothers and sisters in a mountain shack - if you're asked to do it, you do it. It's not uncommon at all for Bosnian children, and even young adults, to kneel before their parents and hold one of their hands when asking an important question or giving bad news - 'I've met the woman I want to marry', 'I'm pregnant and we're getting married', 'I want to study in Norway', etc. So I think this is the most common theme in Bosnia's children's stories - that your parents are infallible and you must listen to their every word or the old hag will sneak into your house at night and take you away to the mountains. Or you'll be sold to the gypsies, whose children get to behave exactly as 'you seem to want to'.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 09:45
This thread should belong to the anthropology forum. It is cultural anthropology. :)
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 13:09
ahhhh yes the Gypsies. going and and stealing all of the bad, misbehaved children.
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 22:06
I believe for a short childrens story to last throughout time and be acknoledged as a classic ,it must have a meaning or else it will become dull and fade away into the black abyss of literature!!for example ''Jack and Jill'' or ''The hare and the tortoise'' are popular to this day after centuries of exsistence and they have meanings which are not always very evident! i also find it an interesting topic as I believe short stories help teach people the difference between right and wrong! But I am unaware of any childrens stories which are native to Ireland.
 Post Reply Post Reply