Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moors+ethnicity+other stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moors+ethnicity+other stuff
    Posted: 29-May-2006 at 05:35
Ive been having a look around and some sites are telling me the Moors were Black. And more or less the Berbers and the Arabs followed behind them. This is most likely bullsh*t but why would a person belive the Moors to be Africans (blacks) Apart from Moor meaning dark, but what else is there that can be used to say they were Africans?????

I thought the Moors were nothing more than Berber/Arab Muslims with a few Black African converts. Who made up the main force Berbers, Arabs, Blacks.

Also Is it true that southeren spanairds asked the Muslims to help them disspose of the Visigoths????? Apparently they were quite cruel.

Also do southerners look different from the Northerners???

Actually while im at it i might aswell ask another question. What happened to the Vandals at Carthage, after being defeated by the Romans, did they stay??? 
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 11:21
Hi,

The Moors black or not? Well, I'd say it depends.
1) Moors tend to be defined specifically as berbers. Eg When the coast of southern France where plundered in the 9th-10th c. but muslim pirates they were making the difference between Moors (berbers from Spain, mainly Almeria) and Sarrazin ("Arabs" from Tunisia mainly).
2) Berbers tribes are very different one from the other. Some of them tend to be quite dark according to our (well my) European views. But as they are lighter than the proper blacks they are know a "white" in places like Niger ou Mali. For instance the Almohade were berbers and were very dark (kind of nowadays Tuareghs).

In Spain most of the Ommeyyads mercenaries were berbers (other were slavic). During the Kingdoms of Taifa (after 1033) most of them were ruled by Berber kings. Conserning the Black african non-Berber, I've never heard they had any important military role in Spain, there may be exceptions but they're only exceptions. Although I think that in Egypt, the Ayyourids and the Mameluks may have used large units of sub-saharian people.

Berbers are very different one from the other and at first sight there is a world of difference between a Kabyl from the Aurs (mountains kind of people, that is short with fair skin) and a Tuaregh (tall and very dark, living in the desert).

The first muslims who have crossed the straight (the Berber captain Tarik hence Gibraltar, Djebel al-Tarik) were called by a Visigoth prince against his lord. At least that is what the legend says.

Vandals in Cartago? I dont know for sure, but here are two facts: the Byzantine staid until they where fired by the Arabs and I reckon Vandals weren't that numerous (mostly warriors) hence must have been quite easely assimilated into the Africa's population.

M.
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 12:09
ok thanksSmile
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 16:56
To my knowledge, the Arabs and the Berbers who ruled Spain from 711 onwards to the Al-Murabit (Almoravid) invasion tended to mix a lot with the local Spanish population, especially the aristocracy and the royal families. In fact, the most famous Cordoba Ummayad Caliph, Abd-al Rahman III apparently only had 1/32 of Arab blood in him. By the time of the Taifas states, so-called Arab rulers only had as little as 1/1024 of the original Arab blood. Most of the Moors in Spain therefore were virtually undistinguishable from the local population. However, many of the Al-Murabits who conquered Spain in the middle of the 12th century were original from the Niger Valley, and so they were black. To Western European eyes, they were still Moors, and this may have given rise to the perception that the Moors were black.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 20:40

So these Al Murabits where working alongside with the Berber/Arab coalition. How much of spain did the Murabits conquer??????

Also when the Christian North was fighting the South were they fighting fellow Spaniards who had converted to Islam???

Edited by machine - 29-May-2006 at 20:42
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 08:50

Well, not quite. The Al-Murabits were actually invaders from Africa in much the same way that Tariq invaded Spain in 711. I believ that they were actually invited to meddle in one of the conflicts betweent he Taifas states, much in the same way that in 711, the Arabs and Berbers took advantage of a dynastic dispute of the Visigoths. They conquered a substantial proportion (almost half) of the Iberian Peninsula, along with controlling North Africa from the Niger and the Senegal to Tunisia.

The Christian North was fighting with Arabs as well as islamized Spaniards who were called Mozarabs. What I'm saying is that the Arabs were Arab in language, culture and religion, but much less so genetically, due to intermixing.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 20:23
Dear Decebal,

I couldn't agree more with your posts although here are some details you forgot to mention:

1) When we talk about 'Arabs' and 'Moors' we are giving an impession that is 100% that they were united. It is not the case: Arabs from Yemen and Arabs from Syria have been fighting in Spain for over two centuries. Oddly, one of the reasons why the Arabs didn't conquered France is some denturies long hatred between these two groups. The same goes for moors.
2) The calif were indeed looking European (blond and blue eyes but they were ashame of it and tained their hair) because their mothers were often slavic slaves. Besides, an aristocracy rose from the moors and the Arabs, for centuries being a decendant of such or such famous muslim conqueror. Although in fact the populations did mix on the long run but it took a good four centuries.

Finally, before the 11th c. Califs were commonly using christian soldiers for their raids against the Northern Spaniards. After it got even more complicated: the muslim little kingdoms were protected by various hristian price against large sums of money. But sometimes, muslim states clashing led to two christian protectors fighting for their clients cause.

M.
I am a free donkey!
 Post Reply Post Reply