Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wheres africa been????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
viola View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote viola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheres africa been????
    Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 17:55

hi all good posts

1.where do you lot get your sources from about african history?

2.does anyone know any websites where i can get peer reviewed studies of all scientific disciplines about african history.
viola View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote viola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 18:38
 "debecal says"

"im not saying that Africa was necessarily on par with the rest of the world, but that's not necessarily because they somehow lacked innovation or curiosity. It was simply because of the difficult geographical and ecological conditions, which retared their development by thousands of years".

can you elaborate on this please.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 13:07
Originally posted by edgewaters

Originally posted by Poetry25

Ahhh yes, this makes perfect sense. It's attempt to justify failures and or the mistreatment of a people by rationalizing that these people deserved this mistreatment(slavery, colonialism) due to some kind of an inherent inferiority.

I think it's even broader than that. I don't think there are many people today who try to justify slavery or the excesses of colonialism. I think a wide variety of systems people have applied to Africa - be it imperialism, or globalized economics, even the independance movements in Africa in the sixties - through their failure to realize promises in Africa, show fundamental errors in each ideology. Africa is above all a place of paradox. If Africa's culture or history were the problem and imperialism were the cure, how come the promises of imperialism never materialized, Africa never industrialized, and there was never the emergence of a middle class or political stability? But if imperialism was the reason for all of Africa's problems, how come things have got much worse in places like Zimbabwe under the independance governments? Every ideology applied to Africa has been wrong. If you can lay the blame on Africa itself you don't have to question your own favorite ideology.

Ok, I got you now. Rather than look deeply into trying to understand why these various systems in Africa have failed it's much easier to blame in on Africa itself. It's a difficult question answer and I'm not sure there is just one answer there may be many. I have some of my own ideas on why most of Africa is in the state it's currently in, none that I"m entirely confident in though. It's a tough question that most would rather avoid.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 13:12
Originally posted by viola

hi all good posts

1.where do you lot get your sources from about african history?

2.does anyone know any websites where i can get peer reviewed studies of all scientific disciplines about african history.

Well, as for myself I get the vast majority of my information from text, specifically archaeological text but history text aswell. When I do look online I usally go to archaeological/anthropological sites. I'm sure the other posters can give you more information on specific sites than I can.

Edited by Poetry25 - 16-Jun-2006 at 13:13
viola View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote viola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 21:49

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 13:23
The use of technology and science in pre-modern Africa

If one asks individual modern ethnic Europeans if they think Africa remained in the Stone Age until the European colonial period, most whites probably have not really thought about it. But even if 90s PC-ness dictates that Europeans express non-offensive opinions, this idea of "primitive" black Africa is not contrary to centuries of European/Euro-American public perception.

Black Africa was not considered capable to developing its own civilizations. Materially sophisticated civilizations in Africa, such as the Nubians and the Ethiopians, and particularly the Egyptians, were always attributed to an outside impetus, such as colonization by "whites" from Asia, or ancient European influence. Although Egypt is now believed to have been an Afroasian racial melting pot, the Egyptian language and culture were undeniably African. Egyptian is part of the Afroasiatic language family, which has 222 surviving member languages.1 The overwhelming majority of these 222 languages are spoken in black Africa, which strongly suggests a black African origin for the Afroasiatic language family. Even ancient European sources record a tradition that claims that the Egyptians were descended from the Ethiopians.

The bias of white scholars is evident in their theories concerning archeological findings of art and technology in undeniably black parts of Africa. Basil Davidson writes:

"Over the past 50 years or so, whenever anything remarkable or inexplicable has turned up in Africa, a whole galaxy of non-African (or at least non-black) peoples are dragged in to explain it... Yet every one of these achievements and phenomenon is now generally agreed to have had a purely African origin."2

In the following sections, we present a brief overview of the use of technology in premodern sub-Saharan Africa. Readers may wish to do more in-depth reading on their own.

Eastern Africa

A former Commissioner for British East Africa said in 1958: "in the last 60 years.... East Africa has developed from a completely primitive country, ... more backward than the Stone Age ..."3 Yet the Stone Age blacks of Khartoum (in Sudan) manufactured pots before the inhabitants of Jericho, the world's earliest known city.4 The Khartoum Mesolithic culture is dated about 7000 B.C.5 Prehistoric Egyptian artifacts dated a thousand years later would reflect a Khartoum influence.6

Metal working

Between 5th century B.C. and 3rd century A.D., Meroe in Sudan was an iron-smelting center.7 12th century Arab writer Edrisi reported numerous iron mines in Malindi and Sofala. Edrisi rated Sofala iron better than India iron. At that time, southeastern Africa exported smelted iron to India.8 (Malindi and Sofala are in modern Kenya and Mozambique respectively.)

Irrigation and land preservation

East Africans used terraced hillside cultivation for erosion prevention and irrigation. A 19th century European described Yeha in Ethiopia: "Nowhere in Greece or Asia Minor have I seen such an enormous extend of terraced mountains..."9 Europeans would later apply African principles of cultivating steep hillsides without erosion in Africa as their own invention.10

Architecture and material culture

Qustul, a Nubian site in Egypt just north of the Sudanese border, contained 33 tombs dated at about 3800 to 3100 BC.11 The tombs contained "trade goods from every corner of the known world" - native pottery, Egyptian storage containers and Syro-Palestinian vessels which suggested a direct trade route between Nubia and Asia.12

Ibn Battuta, who visited the East African coast in 1331 AD, reported that "Kilwa is one of the most beautiful and well-constructed towns in the world. The whole of it is elegantly built."13 This is the opinion of a man who has traveled all over Europe and Asia, as well as Africa. Traditional Swahili houses have separate accommodations for each family with its own bathroom/toilet. Water comes from wells and cisterns.14 Even in ancient houses, including those in the earliest ruined settlements, there are elaborate internal aqueducts to fill the cisterns.15

Western Africa

A former Governor of Nigeria said "For countless centuries, while all the pageant of history swept by, the African remained unmoved -- in primitive savagery."16 Actually, African doctors performed cataract surgery in 14th century Mali.

Metal Working

Europe may have exceeded Africa in the use of technology today, but such a condition is neither unchangeable nor biologically predestined, as some have been to think. In fact, sub-Saharan Africa has not always lagged behind Europe where technological advances are concerned. Jared Diamond points out in his Pulitzer Prize-winning book Guns, Germs and Steel:

...historians often assume that knowledge of metallurgy reached sub-Saharan Africa from the north. On the other hand, copper smelting had been going on in the West African Sahara and Sahel since at least 2000 B.C... the iron-smelting techniques of smiths in sub-Saharan Africa were so different from those of the Mediterranean as to suggest independent development: African smiths discovered how to produce high temperatures in their village furnaces and manufacture steel over 2,000 years before the Bessemer furnaces of 19th century Europe and America.

Iron-making began in central Nigeria more than two thousand years ago and was common knowledge in the savannahs of West Africa by the last centuries of the pre-Christian era.17

In 1897, "several hundred bronze plaques ... of really superb casting" and "magnificently carved tusks" were found in Benin. Europeans speculated they were of European influence.18 A palace in Ife a hundred miles away yielded vast quantities of brasswork and terra cotta. The works of Benin and Ife are now accepted as entirely African and most are thought to have been made between the 13th and 18th centuries.19

Urban Material Culture

Kumbi Saleh on the Niger is the excavation site of a large elaborate city dated 800-900 years old.20 The city's estimated population of 30,000 was impressive for the world then.21 Iron objects excavated included weapons, farm tools, nails, and one of the finest pairs of early medieval scissors ever found in any country.22

Timbuktu, which is the English idea of a remote destination far from anywhere that matters (hence the expression "shipped off to Timbuktu"), was a center of commerce, learning and religion. King Mohammed Askia of the 16th century Songhay empire had many judges, doctors and clerics on his payroll.23

Southern Africa

Architecture

The Great Zimbabwe medieval stone ruins in south central Africa included a 300' by 220' building with walls 30' high and 20' thick. Europeans could not believe Africans built it. However, archeologist David Randall-MacIver concluded "there is not a trace of Oriental or European style" in the ruins.The stone dwellings were "unmistakably African".24

Water management technology

Randall-MacIver described water diversion technology in Inyanga (in southern Rhodesia). A conduit carried water from a dammed stream alongside the hill so that it descended more gradually than the parent stream. He writes: "There are very many such conduits in the Inyanga region, and they often run for several miles. The gradients are admirably calculated, with a skill which is not always equaled by modern engineers ..."25

In pre-modern times, the average Africans' quality of life was comparable to, and even surpassed at times, the quality of life of their average European contemporaries. Why, then is there the modern stereotype of the backward and savage African? Much of the blame falls on European racism. However, Africans themselves also have some part to play in propagating myths about "savage Africa". Since ancient times, coastal mercantile East Africans would circulate fantastic stories about the dangers of the African interior to frighten off non-African traders, thus defending the Swahili's trade monopoly with inland Africans. 26

Pulitzer Price winner Jared Diamond expresses the following opinion in his seminal work Guns, Germs and Steel:

A historian who had lived at anytime between 8500 B.C. and A.D. 1450, and who had tried then to predict future historical trajectories, would surely have labeled Europe's eventual dominance as the least likely outcome, because Europe was the most backward of those three Old World regions for most of those 10,000 years.

The history leading up to the current European/Euro-American economic and cultural dominance does not demonstrate the superiority of European races. All we can gather from history is: Past ascendancy is not a guarantee of future superiority. There is no proven biological predisposition towards success in any specific human 'race'. Culturally and technologically disadvantaged societies, such as the medieval Europeans, eventually caught up and overtook the Asians and Africans. In all likelihood, we may see another reversal of fortune in the future - the next center of world power may be in Africa, or another part of the "Third World", and Europe and America may be left in the dust.

[Technology is only one aspect of "civilization" and certainly not the defining factor for determining the degree of "civilization" a society has. The other aspects of sub-Saharan African civilizations like statesmanship, social and political structure, moral codes, military organization, intercontinental and transcontinental trade, and literature are beyond the scope of this article.]

Notes:
  1. Jared Diamond, Guns, Germs and Steel, p. 383
  2. Basil Davidson, The Lost Cities of Africa, p. 11
  3. Davidson, p. xv
  4. Davidson, p. 12
  5. Richard Poe, Black Spark White Fire, p. 429
  6. Poe, p429
  7. Davidson, p. 49
  8. Davidson, p. 70
  9. Davidson, pp. 219-220
  10. Davidson, p. 238
  11. Poe, p. p421
  12. Poe, p. 421
  13. John Middleton, The World of the Swahili, p. 40
  14. Middleton, p. 63
  15. Middleton, p. 210
  16. Davidson, p. 11
  17. Davidson, p. 69
  18. Davidson, p. 139
  19. Davidson, p. 139
  20. Davidson, p. 86
  21. Davidson, p. 86
  22. Davidson, pp. 86-87
  23. Davidson, p. 93
  24. Davidson, pp. 247-255
  25. Davidson, p. 278
  26. James de V. Allen, Swahili Origins, p. p71
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 13:38
You should really give the author or source for that piece.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 16:38
I receive several e-mails daily from fellow grad students regarding archaeological digs, bio-anthropology and ancient history, so it's not always possible to know exactly where each article is coming from. However, from what I understand this is a collection of citations put together by a fellow grad student. It highlights the works of leading African historian Basil Davidson and archaeologist Randall-MacIver. The sources are listed below the article, anyone with a further interest should read the books listed, particularly those written by Davidson, Allen and Middleton. I would also recommend Medievial Rhodesia by Randall-MacIver.The purpose of my previous post was that I felt the books that were cited were highly relevant. I'm not here to be anyones teacher or try to change anyone's mind, I recieved an e-mail that I found to be condensed yet relevant so I wanted to share it. Therefore do with it what you'd like. 

Edited by Poetry25 - 27-Jun-2006 at 16:41
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 19:19
Those interested should check out these sources aswell.

David Phillipson. 2005. African Archaeology: Third Edition. Cambridge University Press, London.

Mark Horton. 1998. Kilwa. In Oxford Companion to Archaeology, edited by Brian Fagan. Oxford University Press, London.

J.E.G. Sutton. 2002. The Southern Swahili Harbour and Town on Kilwa Island, 800-1800 AD: A chronology of booms and slumps. In The Development of Urbanism from a Global Perspective, an online book available at Uppsala University.

Said Hamdun & Noel King, Ibn Battuta in Black Africa, Princeton, NJ & New York: Markus-Wiener Publishing, Inc., 1994

Edited by Poetry25 - 27-Jun-2006 at 19:26
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 00:09
The Times (London)
July 28, 2003, Monday
HEADLINE: Tomb reveals Ancient Egypt's humiliating secret
BYLINE: Dalya Alberge

Dalya Alberge reports on how details of crushing defeat by another Nile superpower were kept hidden.

Ancient Egyptians "airbrushed" out of history one of their most humiliating defeats in battle, academics believe.

In what the British Museum described as the discovery of a lifetime, a 3,500-year-old inscription shows that the Sudanese kingdom of Kush came close to destroying its northern neighbour.

The revelation is contained in 22 lines of sophisticated hieroglyphics deciphered by Egyptologists from the British Museum and Egypt after their discovery in February in a richly decorated tomb at El Kab, near Thebes, in Upper Egypt.

Vivian Davies, Keeper of the museum's Department of Ancient Egypt and Sudan, said: "In many ways this is the discovery of a lifetime, one that changes the textbooks. "We're absolutely staggered by it."

The inscription details previously unknown important battles unprecedented "since the time of the god" the beginning of time. Experts now believe that the humiliation of defeat was one that the Ancient Egyptians preferred to omit from their historical accounts.

Contemporary Egyptian descriptions had led historians to assume that the kingdom of Kush was a weak and barbaric neighbouring state for hundreds of years, although it boasted a complex society with vast resources of gold dominating the principal trade routes into the heart of Africa. It did eventually conquer Egypt, in the 8th century BC.

Mr. Davies, who headed the joint British Museum and Egyptian archaeological team, said: "Now it is clear that Kush was a superpower which had the capacity to invade Egypt. It was a huge invasion, one that stirred up the entire region, a momentous event that is previously undocumented.

"They swept over the mountains, over the Nile, without limit. This is the first time we've got evidence. Far from Egypt being the supreme power of the Nile Valley, clearly Kush was at that time.

"Had they stayed to occupy Egypt, the Kush*tes might have eliminated it. That's how close Egypt came to extinction. But the Egyptians were resilient enough to survive, and shortly afterwards inaugurated the great imperial age known as the New Kingdom. The Kush*tes weren't interested in occupation. They went raiding for precious objects, a symbol of domination. They did a lot of damage."

The inscription was found between two internal chambers in a rock-cut tomb that was covered in soot and dirt. It appeared gradually as the grime was removed.

Mr. Davies said: "I thought it would be a religious text, but it turned out to be historical. Gradually, a real narrative emerged, a brand new text inscribed in red paint, reading from right to left."

The tomb belonged to Sobeknakht, a Governor of El Kab, an important provincial capital during the latter part of the 17th Dynasty (about 1575-1550 BC).

The inscription describes a ferocious invasion of Egypt by armies from Kush and its allies from the south, including the land of Punt, on the southern coast of the Red Sea. It says that vast territories were affected and describes Sobeknakht's heroic role in organising a counter-attack.

The text takes the form of an address to the living by Sobeknakht: "Listen you, who are alive upon earth . . . Kush came . . . aroused along his length, he having stirred up the tribes of Wawat . . . the land of Punt and the Medjaw . . ." It describes the decisive role played by "the might of the great one, Nekhbet", the vulture-goddess of El Kab, as "strong of heart against the Nubians, who were burnt through fire", while the "chief of the nomads fell through the blast of her flame".

The discovery explains why Egyptian treasures, including statues, stelae and an elegant alabaster vessel found in the royal tomb at Kerma, were buried in Kush*te tombs: they were war trophies.

Mr. Davies said: "That has never been properly explained before. Now it makes sense. It's the key that unlocks the information. Now we know they were looted trophies, symbols of these kings' power over the Egyptians. Each of the four main kings of Kush brought back looted treasures."

The alabaster vessel is contemporary with the latter part of the 17th Dynasty. It bears a funerary text "for the spirit of the Governor, Hereditary Prince of Nekheb, Sobeknakht". Now it is clear that it was looted from Sobeknakht's tomb, or an associated workshop, by the Kush*te forces and taken back to Kerma, where it was buried in the precincts of the tomb of the Kush*te king who had led or inspired the invasion.

The El Kab tomb was looted long ago, probably in antiquity. There is more to investigate at the enormous site and the Supreme Council of Antiquities in Egypt is now making such work a priority.

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 23:55
I heard that if the Africans could have a calvary of rhinos, then they would win any battle hands down. Too bad the Africans couldnt tame them. Although i heard they tried
Preobrazhenskoe View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Preobrazhenskoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 02:01

Originally posted by machine

Africans (Blacks) would have seen the Pyramids, they would have seen the North Africans (Arabs) advancing, they traded slaves etc yet they never had any type of civilization, there was no innovation, nor curiosity. I cant name any great Africans. I do realise that there were Black people present in Egypt because of slaver, and there would have been African tribal leaders who would have got quite wealthy from the slave trade.

But Where have they been?????????

Apart from a few Arab built structures with in Africa ive seen nothing from them.

Dude, please tell me this is some sort of sick and twisted joke where a comical drum beat kicks in and everyone laughs at how not dumb and racist you are because you're supposedly being sarcastic.

No notable figures in African History? Dude, where do you come from? Does Mansa Musa ring a friggin bell, at all? No African structures? Hello? The city of Timbuktu, the fortresses of Zimbabwe, the large cities of Nubia and Aksum, let alone the enormous steles built by the Axumites. 

King Ezana's Stele in Aksum, King Ezana living in the 4th century AD

How about the Kingdoms of Egypt, Nubia, Kush, Aksum (dear God, please tell me you've heard about Aksum in ancient Ethiopia, which was one of Rome and Byzantium's most avid foreign trading powers), the great fortress builders of Zimbabwe, and the large, ancient kingdoms of Mali and Ghana (Malinke, Wagadou, and Songhai, the latter being the largest African kingdom in history). Dude, do the world a favor, buy a text book on general and well-known History and read it very, very hard, and then come back here and sound smart. Thanks.

Eric

Edited by Preobrazhenskoe - 05-Sep-2006 at 02:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123