Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Osprey Publishing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Osprey Publishing
    Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 12:08

Epilogue: Has Osprey got the best military history books? Have you found out better books than Osprey?

Point of the Story: I own a single Osprey book, the one about Agincourt Campaign. I consider it well written and nicely detailed, just as much as it needs to be. There are good maps, good drawings. Nice description of the battle and many heraldic coat of arms... 

When I went in London to Waterstone's then, for my amazement, the books where some 12 pounds each. I consider that a little bit much for 64 or 48 pages, don't you. Even if they are well detailed, I would think that anyone who owns the complete Osprey series of histroy must be very very rich. It seemed to put me in wonder, I looked at Campaign and Elite series, the Campaign was 3.99 while the Elite was around 11.50. What makes the prices so different? Do you think that Osprey books are worth their price?

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 20:42
I have only bought one Osprey book, and that was on the Hussite Wars. The only reason I did that was because I could not find any other books on it. At my local Barnes & Nobles I browsed through the Russian fortresses and British Defenses during the Zulu War books. Pretty good for being free.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 03:57
I can't understand the last line, could you make it clear for me?
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 08:57
Oh, what I meant is, that I read through the book without having to pay for it, which was pretty good. That's why I said "pretty good for being free".

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 12:24

k. Now I understand you.

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 18:24
but I had some freee osperys ebook
really nice ebooks

Edited by Land of Aryan
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 12:11

Well, e-books aren't quite real books but they are, can be counted piracy in some countries. I am not blaming you but you should take that into account. Atleast, then piracy when you are not dealing with in that case when you have bought it for nothing. I believe there are such terms.

Anyways, which series do you like best. I like Elite.

Post Reply Post Reply