Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Creating a card game but need help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Creating a card game but need help
    Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 20:12
These days I've been thinking of making a new card game. I want a game that's set in a banana republic in which the objective is to become president. Becoming president will be possible on three different ways: getting >50% of parliament on your side, getting >50% of the supreme court on your side or getting several generals on your side and stage a coup. I've already thought of a rough outline for the game, but I still need many card ideas and especially good rules, so perhaps some of you might help. This is what I thought of so far:

The game is set in the capital of the country. The map will be completely made up from cards, every card being a building (or park, water or other natural object). Some cards/buildings will have special characteristics, others won't. By making the map out of cardsyou'll be able to create a different city every time you play the game.

In the city there will be numerous characters (soldiers, police, doctors, engineers, etc. see below for a list) who all have different functions. I will probably make those characters out of cardbords, and place them in standards of several colours. The colour of the standard shows the alignment of the character, so a character with a red standard is onwed by the red player, etc. In the beginning of the game most characters will be neutral, which will be represented by grey standard. You can get neutral characters on your side by bribing or threatening them (and perhaps other ways, any suggestions?), you can also try to get other players characters on your side, but that will probably more difficult. And of course it's also possible to assasinate other players characters. Somehow it should also be possible to create new characters. You can make scientists if you control the university, doctors if you control the hospital, etc., but I still have to figure out how that will work. Probably the game will need some sort of money as well.

A very preliminary list of characters and their functions, suggestions more than welcome. Of most characters there will be more than one:
* policeman, will be able to kill, bribe, arrest and extort
* soldier, probably the same as the policeman, but stronger
* pilot, to use planes
* captain, to use ships
* scientist
* engineer, to sabotage and blow up things, and perhaps to create machinery
* doctor and/or nurse, to heal or reanimate people
* maffia boss, gangster and/or hired thugs
* bank director, to get money
* businessman
* bishop/priest
* union leader
* ambassador, I can also make an embassy building instead of an ambassador character, which would provide a safe haven for characters.
* tv broadcaster or other media characters
* general, needed to stage a coup
* judge, for in the supreme court, needed to become president using the supreme court
* PM, for in parliament, needed to become president using the supreme court

any ideas? additions? suggestions? especially proposals for rules are welcome, because so far I don't have any real rules.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 20:18
terrorists, drug growers and communist guerillas in the hills.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 20:36
Haven't ever played Junta? It's almost what you describe. 

Another very interesting (more "serious") game of that style is Republic of Rome.

Well after reariding your post. They don't seem exactly what you say... but Junta at least may approach it.

If you want a new scenario every game, you better make a computer game with a random scenario creation feature.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 15:06
Originally posted by Maju

No, haven't played it. Looks somewhat similar indeed, but in the game I want to make the objective will be to assume power, while it looks like you are already in power in Junta. Also Junta seems to be a lot about money, while the game I want to make will be about grabbing power, with money being a means, not an end. Making secret aliances and backstabbing and such will probably be part of the game as well.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 15:43
Maybe ministers,pimps,officers(to form a group against coup probably),farmer,worker, different political group representatives or political wings...
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 16:58
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Originally posted by Maju

No, haven't played it. Looks somewhat similar indeed, but in the game I want to make the objective will be to assume power, while it looks like you are already in power in Junta. Also Junta seems to be a lot about money, while the game I want to make will be about grabbing power, with money being a means, not an end. Making secret aliances and backstabbing and such will probably be part of the game as well.

If I don't recall badly the President is chosen in Junta. Then he appoints the ministers and must give a charge to each player (unless all charges are given) before giving another to himself. It's much about money because it's "banana republic" corrupt politics... and overall t's just a game to have a good time with your friends or family.

Very much in the line but much more serious (historical) is Republic of Rome. The thrill of this game is that, while only one player wins (becomes Emperor), all can lose if things go bad for the Republic (it's invaded or there's a revolution that destroys the state). This is a game I would love to play again certainly.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:05
Good luck.

I am sure it is a bored game you are describing...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 04:55
To make ur card game i recommend C++ and Visual basic these are these best program to use to make ur RPG
 Post Reply Post Reply