Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Countries in history with the most in common

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
evilbu View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote evilbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Countries in history with the most in common
    Posted: 27-Sep-2008 at 21:34
I'd say Estonia and Latvia? I know the languages are  completely different, but they have both been ruled by Poles, Swedes, Germans and Russians and often at the same time.
IamJoseph View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote IamJoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 11:07
Without using any historical parameters, I think the two most common countries have been the U.S. and Canada.  There is almost no difference between them at all.

I don't think so, and the close proximity only highlights an underlying fundamental difference. While Canada is more inclined with Europe, we can say that America represents a breakaway from her European kinship. America's Constitution, which has to be the greatest non-theological treatise, is based on equality and law, when Europe was ingrained in racism and an enforced, exclusivist belief system.

When logistics like landmass are not addressed, which deals with languages, deits and cultures frmed involuntarilly - I would say that US & Israel is more closesly related than many others - and this is despite the numerous reasons these two nations should not be so close. When this is further dwelled, America was discovered by Jews [Columbus and all his mapsters were covert Jews], and while America is made up of almost all nationals, there is an inseperable and huge Jewish input in what can be called Americanism, from Hollywood, to Music, science, superpower status [Nuclear weaponry], and a host of Americanisms, including the introduction of denim jeans and Supermarkets to the world. America became the first nation to overcome 1000s of years of black slavery, by applying the Constitution, which was based on the OT laws.

Edited by IamJoseph - 03-Oct-2008 at 11:09
Moses - the First Zionist.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 11:18
Iran and Israel.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 03:25
Originally posted by mamikon

I was referring to Greece and Turkey, but what do Israel and Iran have in common?

They  both begin with I!!!
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 04:06
Originally posted by IamJoseph

Without using any historical parameters, I think the two most common countries have been the U.S. and Canada.  There is almost no difference between them at all.

I don't think so, and the close proximity only highlights an underlying fundamental difference.

It's the close proximity that compellingly drives the Canadians to point out the differences. Nationality wise, how many people can say of their own house: Their livingrooms are located in one country and their kitchens are located in the other?
Berengina View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Berengina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2008 at 11:57
Canada and New Zealand (We are nothing like Americans)

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 10:59
Romania and Bulgaria

( Hi Anton! Big%20smile )
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 14:31

Originally posted by Chilbudios

Romania and Bulgaria

Tell this to the Maramureshans LOL

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 14:54
Originally posted by Antigonus_

Greece and Cyprus
Greece and Turkey
Bulgaria and Fyrom

I'll agree with all. I don't know if Greece and Cyprus counts, cause in the papers they are just different states, in "helladic" areas.

Greece and Turkey, partialy, cause you have Armenians, Syrians & Assyrians and other nations incorporated. What i mean is that is not as exclusive as Greece-Cyprus, Bulgaria-FYROM, South-North Korea, Romania-Moldova.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 14:55
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Romania and Bulgaria

( Hi Anton! Big%20smile )

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha LOL I'm laughing for the parenthesis and remember the "bull-horns".

Edited by Flipper - 21-Oct-2008 at 14:55

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 14:57
Originally posted by evilbu

I'd say Estonia and Latvia? I know the languages are  completely different, but they have both been ruled by Poles, Swedes, Germans and Russians and often at the same time.

I would say Estonia - Finland in that case.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 15:25
Originally posted by Flipper

Sweden and Finland has more in common* than those, due to being reigned by the same kings for some 6-700 years. Linguistically Estonia and Finland are much closer, of course.

*) one thing being problems to accept those similarities LOL

Edited by Styrbiorn - 21-Oct-2008 at 15:26
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 17:07
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Sweden and Finland has more in common* than those, due to being reigned by the same kings for some 6-700 years. Linguistically Estonia and Finland are much closer, of course. *) one thing being problems to accept those similarities LOL

I had impression that Sweden has more common with Norway and Danmark than with Finland.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 18:45
Originally posted by pinguin

Come on, fellow. No matter you like it or not, I could bet money that many ancient Greeks assimilated in the melting pot of the Ottoman Empire... it is just human nature. Enemies also marry.

That was not a result of marriages however. In those two theocratic societies, a christian marrying a muslim was unthinkable. The main source of people being assimilated was young males, who were taken from all over the empire and brought up as Turks to serve the Ottoman army. Those were called Jennitsari and even though they were muslim, they were cellibate in the first 200 years (from the fall of Konstantinoupolis).

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 18:56
Greece and Albania (good neighbors)
Macedonia and Bulgaria
Syria and Lebanon
Iran and Tajikistan
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 19:29
Holland & Belgium (flanders)
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 07:13
Originally posted by Suren

Greece and Albania (good neighbors)

Yup, indeed. Especially with the development of the last 20 years and continuous cultural contact.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 08:29
Originally posted by Roberts

Sweden and Finland has more in common* than those, due to being reigned by the same kings for some 6-700 years. Linguistically Estonia and Finland are much closer, of course. *) one thing being problems to accept those similarities LOL

I had impression that Sweden has more common with Norway and Danmark than with Finland.

Ethnically and linguisitically yes, but when it comes to culture, food and way of thinking, I'd say Sweden is actually closer to Finland. But it's a close shot, they're all quite the same. For example holidays, Sweden and Finland's most important holiday is Midsummer, which they celebrate much the same way (going out in the forest to eat fish and get drunk), whereas Midsummer isn't very big in Den-Nor. Walpurgis Night (Valborg/Vappu) is also celebrated heavily in Swe/Fin, but not Den/Nor. That holiday is in both countries also full of people getting drunk and students doing even more stupider things than usual. I would also dare to bet that Sweden and Finland are the only countries who share the tradition of eating pancakes and peasoup for dinner on Thursdays.

Swedish students celebrating Valborg:

Finnish students celebrating Vappu:

However, many Swedes and Finns aren't even aware how similar the countries actually are, the languages putting a barrier. Only when I got together with a bunch of them I myself realized the differences aren't larger than between say North and South Sweden.

---
pics from wiki and http://viaterra.net/photopages/other/world-celebrations.htm

Edited by Styrbiorn - 22-Oct-2008 at 08:36
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2008 at 14:46

Ethnically and linguisitically yes, but when it comes to culture, food and way of thinking, I'd say Sweden is actually closer to Finland.

You are probably right. Also Sweden and Finland own in hockey, while Denmark and Norway generally suck.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2008 at 17:48
Norwegians tend to do better with skis rather than iceskates on their feet. Danes however don't have much of an athletic culture at all. Not that it's a bad thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>