Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A question for Orthodox Christians

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A question for Orthodox Christians
    Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 21:51
I'm going to show you a picture of the main Orthodox Church in Sarajevo and I want you to tell me if this is acceptable. The reason I ask is because I'm aware of a Bible story which describes Jesus' reaction to this very thing, and he wasn't all that happy.

Let me explain it's really not as rare as you might think. It is common in most if not all Roman Catholic churches, though they tend to be near the church rather than inside of it. It is common near most mosques in Bosnia and Herzegovina, especially the largest and oldest ones because they tend to be in the center of marketplaces. It is least common at Orthodox churches and Sarajevo's main one is the only I'm aware of where it's actually INSIDE the church.

Curious? Click here to see and tell me what you think.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
YuGo View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote YuGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 22:16

It's common.

At least in Serbian Orthodox Churches.. Hehehe, we even get drunk in our churches!

From the ones I have visited (Bosnia Herzegovina, Croatia, America, Canada) I have seen it in almost everyone! I don't know if there is a specific part.. But usually they are put to the side...Many times in a hall attached to the Church.. What part of the Church is this stand located?

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 22:23
That's so strange. It's not as though I've been inside many Orthodox Churches but I've never noticed one of these inside before. Mirjana told me the same thing, she didn't even know it was there.

Doesn't it go against Christianity, though?
YuGo View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote YuGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 22:30

I'm not sure.. I haven't exactly read the bible...

Isn't preaching about ethnically cleansing other nations, against christianity? Hehe, this is no big deal..

I'm joking.. why would this be against Christianity anyways?

Edited by YuGo
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 22:32
Selling things at the place of worship. There's that bible story - or maybe it's gambling? I don't know - where Jesus freaks out and kicks over their tables for doing it.
YuGo View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote YuGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 22:45
They also sell candles, and I am sure all of this money goes to the Church, or to a Christian charity.. So to get it straight forward - Yes it is very common, and no it is not against Christianity.
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 03:59

Well, I've never seen it located in the very center of the church-not even once(i'm refering to Serbia)...

Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 04:23
In Romania is located near the entrance, and exist in every church.
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 04:29

Same case in Serbia...

Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Alkiviades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 09:40
They don't exist in Greek churches... I mean kiosks? Nope.
If you wanna play arrogant with me, you better have some very solid facts to back up that arrogance, or I'll tear you to pieces
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 01:00

Don't believe I've ever seen a kiosk in a church (in the states we don't have many of them anyway, excepting some of the larger cities). Generally candles and other things would be located in a narthex. It makes me uneasy seeing them in the Church, but is it wrong? As with so many other things, I don't know.

-Akolouthos

Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 05:39
I've never seen something like this in any Greek church either.

Originally posted by Mila

Selling things at the place of worship. There's that bible story - or maybe it's gambling? I don't know - where Jesus freaks out and kicks over their tables for doing it.

If they use the money for charity I don't think he would freak out. However, if he would come back to earth for a short visit, he would be pretty mad about how Church is often functioning... and I mean the administration of the Church.

Edited by Neoptolemos
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 07:20

As said Neoptelemos in the Orthodox churches in Greece as now I never see this think.

It's common OUTSIDE from the church or if the Priest is more severe outside and from the Church space.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 07:25
Yeah,you cannot see them inside our Churches.Being outside is also rare,except from places visited by many tourists,but still is outside.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code Load New Code
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.