Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Uyghur culture

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uyghur culture
    Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 23:57
When were you in East Turkistan?
For Turks, the homeland isn't Turkey, nor yet Turkistan. Their country is a vast, eternal land: Turan!
-Ziya Gokalp-
TRK DNYASI Forum, join today.
oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 12:00

nowadays 30% of Uighur vocabularies is arabic-iranian words,why so much? this is due to the fact that after Uighurs converted to islam in 10th century,Islamic influence played very important rule in daily life,lots of people visited Iran and Arab peninsula,and this leads new cultural movement that almost all Uighur scholars imitated arabic and persian style,and knowing persian and arabic became very popular.We can have this information from "Diwanu lughatit turk",the athor Kashgarli Mehmud somehow was against this movment,He said he wrote this book just in order to show people how beautiful the Turk language is,as well as Farsy and Arabic.Afterwards because of the very close cultural exchange among Turks(especially nowadays Uzbeks and Uighurs) and Iranian,arabic people,Uighurs gave up their own alphabet(old uighur script) and started to use arabic script,and aslo accepted lot words.E.g. in Uighur :Adem(a person) ,dereh(tree),meydan(plazza),inqilab(revolution),sherqi(east) ,asman(sky),these words accepted from Farsy and Arabic.This fact makes that turkish languges as Uighur and Uzbek(actually there is no difference between this two languages) are bit different from other neighboring turkish languages.As a matter of fact,in old uighur language(before10th century) scripts and folk songs,we cannot find any persian-arabic words,its more like modern Kyrgyz and Khazaks.

But the other turkish groups like Khazaks and Kyrgyz also converted islam almost same time,but one can hardly find arabic and persian influance on their languages.I guess this is due to the fact that at those period,Uighur-Uzbeks made agricultural base verly early than 10th century while other turkish tribes remained nomadic.Plus,Uighur-Uzbeks are tradespeople(even Khazak people now call Uighurs as Sart,means leader of the traders on the silk road).Of course market exchange led huge cultural exchange among them.We even can find similar musical elements between Uighur-Uzbeks and Persian.

ALLAH gave us two books---Quran and Nature.        ---Jamaliddin Efghany
oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 12:37

Well accepted theory about culture and origin of Uighur people which is far from political bias as below:

Before 9th century,there were two Uighur groups called western Uighurs(agricultural and trade) and eastern Uighurs(nomdas).

In 840 AD,eastern Uighurs were defeated Kyrgyz and suffered kinda deases,then forced to move to north-east part of modern East Turkistan----Turpan-Khumul region,afterwards built Uighur-khuju kingdom(capital called Idikhut and Beshbalikh)which survived till Mongol invasion.At the same time,south to Uighur-khuju kingdom ,there was western Uighur kingdom called Kharahany(capital called Kashgar and Balasaghun).After Kharahanys converted islam,they started war on Uighur-khuju kingdom which lasted several hunderd years.there are lot of  uighur folk songs describe the war happend in Ilibalikh( present Ghulja city),I will post them later.

Now even from the dilect,we can have some evidence.e.g. Turpan uighurs call key as kilit,this is same with nomad Khazaks,while southern Uighurs call key as achquch.there is lot examples like this.The new evidences about Lopnur Uighurs(considered origin of western Uighurs) are also confirming that their life style was agricultural from the very beginning,even date back to 6412BC.

Edited by oghuzkb
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 21:58

Dear oghuzkb:

nice piece, still I want to make a little correction:

Mahmut Qeshqeri didn't write his book, because he was against the Persian and Arabic languages popularity. During his time, Persian wasn't that popular in this region, but Arabic did, but also Turkic. He wrote in his book " The sun is shining on the side of Turks, Arabic and Turkic are just like two horses racing at the same pace...." He wrote his book for the Arabic people who need to learn Turkic.

It was during the time of Elishir Nawayi, when Persian became popular in central Asia. A lot of Turkic poets were writing in Persian. He was the person against this movement.  In his linguistical analysis book, he compared these languages and said he knew Persian very well, and wrote many poems in Persian himself, but Turkish is very a versitile language.

Even there are quite many Arabic, and IE (not necessarily Persian, considering the local Toharian and Eastern Iranic language elements) languages influence in Uyghur, people literally are using both, such as:

Yengi Yilingizgha Mubarek Bolsun!

Yengi Yilingiz Qutluq Bolsun!

For Beautiful: we have words like Chirayliq, Korkem, Guzel, Uz, Yarishimliq etc.

The grammar and phonetics are still very close to old Turkish, while Qazaq and Qirghiz languages have some influence of Mongolian in the phonetics.

Either make a history or become a history.
oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 05:09

Dear barbar,

Thanks a lot for your correction,I made a big mistake.

osmanlija View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote osmanlija Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 16:18

selam to all uigur and Turk brothers.I checked some sites about Uigurs.According to the Chinese 2000 census,the Uighur population in East Turkistan is 8,345,622.I want to ask if this number is correct or does the Chinese government intentionally show the Uighur numbers less than normal in order to prove the world that they are not the majority in the region?East Turkistan is a very big area and the number really seems very little to me.

I want to thank Oghuz for all his comments and information that he shared

osmanlija View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote osmanlija Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 16:19

selam to all uighur and Turk brothers.I checked some sites about Uigurs.According to the Chinese 2000 census,the Uighur population in East Turkistan is 8,345,622.I want to ask if this number is correct or does the Chinese government intentionally show the Uighur numbers less than normal in order to prove the world that they are not the majority in the region?East Turkistan is a very big area and the number really seems very little to me.

I want to thank Oghuz for all his comments and information that he shared

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 20:57
I'm not Uygur but I was there for 3 weeks.  From what I remember, it looked like there were more Uygurs there than that.  I think they might just be lieing to seem like it's really there home or whatever.
For Turks, the homeland isn't Turkey, nor yet Turkistan. Their country is a vast, eternal land: Turan!
-Ziya Gokalp-
TRK DNYASI Forum, join today.
Snafu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 05:23

The number of Uighurs in Xinjiang is definiately low thanks to the Chinese government's policy of flooding non-Chinese areas with Chinese settlers to basically dissolve the native culture. The Uighurs of Xinjiang are mostly poor and treated very badly by the Chinese government and Chinese majority. 

Edited by Snafu
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 14:31

Originally posted by oghuzkb

Colony movement depending on  Niccol Machiavelli s theory has been going on.

Machiavelli's theory ...

oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 13:12
Originally posted by Leonardo

Originally posted by oghuzkb

Colony movement depending on  Niccol Machiavelli s theory has been going on.

Machiavelli's theory ...

yes,Iv read one of his books,I dont know the Italian name of that book,the meaning of Uighur translation is--- handbook of rulers.The theory Iv mentioned here is,if invaders try to get the new land eternally,the best way is colonization.

barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 22:21

Uyghurs are very proud of their culture. As an example, during Tang peroid (which is the most glorious Chinese empire), in the capital of Tang (Chang'an) Uyghur Culture just became dominant, dressing, eating, music, dance, drawing all became fashion according to the poems by Tang Chinese poets. It were Uyghurs who saved Tang emperor (Who fled to Luo yang) by catching  Chang'an from rebelions. From then on, Tang paid tribute to the Uyghurs. All ancient archeological findings along tarim basin, and the saying by famous historian Morgan (the auther of Ancient Society) "The key to the human civilization is buried under the Tarim basin.", always inspire these group of people to cherish their culture.

Qin Dynasty View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Qin Dynasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 10:48
well, i dont think it is an assimilation by Han majority intentionally as some of you try the best to describe. It is just simple that the innate area is overcrowd while most area of Xinjiang is full of resource and untact. To bash the movement of people in one country is absurd and laughable.  

I know there are several East Turkistan seperate organizations in German and USA. It is very hard for me to talk with them rationally since all they did was distorting history, telling lies and inflaming racial hatred. But as this thread goes too far to the reality, i have to say something here, which some of u might think as crap or defense of Chinese government,  but it is all from  my own eyes and experience.

a)  the so called ''1997 demonstration'' is a severe  terrorist attack, some of  u call it a demonstration???  It occured the day when  the funeral of the reputed and respected Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping was undergoing. Several public buses were bombed and near a hundred killed and wounded, most of them were Uyghurs. One of my middle school teacher was at the spot and he told us how bloody and horrible it was. That's your way to demonstrate.

b) Xinjiang does not only belong to Uyghurs, but also Han and other minorities,  the Han immigrants first came to Xinjiang 2000 years ago, the Han dynasty then set up authority at Xinjiang and began its rule. I m not sure whether there was a nation called Uyghur lived in Xinjiang at that time. But I do know there are ten odds ethnical groups having been living there for hundreds years, which Uyghur is just one among them. Your claim Xinjiang belongs you Uyghurs is an insulting to other ethnics.

c) My Uyghur classmates enjoy subsidies which almost offset their tuition fees and other preferentials from the government. The cutting score for their enrollment of the university is only half of ours. They would never get repeating at school. They told me an uyghur student in Xinjiang could not only rest on national holidays like all other Chinese, but also have their own religious holidays which other ethnics do not have. The one child policy and compulsive mandarin study are not including Uyghur and other minorities. 

d) i m not denying a large part of Uyghur are under poverty and unemployed. And please dont forget a large part of other Chinese are also under the same situation. No offence to Uyghurs, as my own observation, many Uyghurs are less industrious than Han Chinese, they obsessed in drinking and dancing but not studying, and they have very weak time sense. With so much preferentials and oppotunities, u still stay poverty, u should look into yourself before blame others.

e) The ongoing industry modernlization marginalises many farming and animal husbandry cultures, sad may it is , it is an inevitable process. So are other places in China. Some of u labled it as an assimilation policy is nothing but designing.

f) I dont know how the Chinese authority disrespects the Uyghur culture in particular. Uyghurs and other minorities have rights to moderfy the national laws and have their own specific regulations according to their particular customs and habbies. For example, they can adjust the one-child policy, sometimes even the consititution, like the consitution rules monogamy, but some ethnic groups have polygamy tradition, they are ok. Same with the Uyghurs, their some traditions which against laws would be tolerated by the government. The Uyghurs like other minorities have right to speak their own language, write their own script, practise their religion, all the signs at street and official documents have Uyghur script versions.

g) the abusement by the police may occur from time to time, but believe me,  they are definitely not to point against Uyghurs as a whole. The authority might be bordering brutal toward riots. But anyway who would be gentle  especially the riots were brutal themselves? The riots mainly occurs in southern Xinjiang where large portion of population undereducated, the youngsters shout slogan like ''death for jehad''''damn the infidels''which sounds very weird to me. Their reason for independence is that the government hold atheism while is intolerate by Allah, there should be an islamic theocracy. I think they are obviously instigated by some overseas groups or government who find themselves offensive when CCP took power.

My revisit to Xinjiang is on my travel list, after my journey i might could tell u more details about Xinjiang and Uyghurs.  The Uyghurs' hospitality impressed me lot during my previous tour.

selam View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote selam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 10:03
Originally posted by Qin Dynasty

well, i dont think it is an assimilation by Han majority intentionally as some of you try the best to describe. It is just simple that the innate area is overcrowd while most area of Xinjiang is full of resource and untact. To bash the movement of people in one country is absurd and laughable.  

dude , please learn well about your country's geograghy !! 80 percent of xinjiang is not suitable for human being  to live  !! you don't think xinjiang is crowded ????????? 
your immigration into xinjiang ,firstly forces our culture to disapear , how many mosques have been tored down by your government !!!how many uyghur communities in big cities in xinjiang has to be moved out of city ??
how much do you know about xinjiang ??most of you don't know ,when xinjiang mentioned in inner china ,they just get the picture of people riding camels and live in the desert !!  this is your knowlege about xinjiang !! so ,if you don't know the truth ,then please stop nonsense!!!!! 

I know there are several East Turkistan seperate organizations in German and USA. It is very hard for me to talk with them rationally since all they did was distorting history, telling lies and inflaming racial hatred. But as this thread goes too far to the reality, i have to say something here, which some of u might think as crap or defense of Chinese government,  but it is all from  my own eyes and experience.

yes ,some of those  are seperatists as you describe so_calledly  !!but most of them are fighting for uyghur's human rights !!
 distorting history ??? the history written by you chinese  is real history,and written by us is wrong history ???????? tell lies ??what lies we are telling here ,point it out ? we will discuss it with evidence !!!
inflaming racial hatred ????please ,man ,ask 9 million uyhgur in xinjiang if they are treated as human being !!!!

a) 

the so called ''1997 demonstration'' is a severe  terrorist attack, some of  u call it a demonstration???  It occured the day when  the funeral of the reputed and respected Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping was undergoing. Several public buses were bombed and near a hundred killed and wounded, most of them were Uyghurs. One of my middle school teacher was at the spot and he told us how bloody and horrible it was. That's your way to demonstrate..

don't be bias!!!! before 911 ,no terrists are said about uyhgur ,but after that you chinese begin to describe all musilim and uyhgur here !!!! how do you know it is terrorist attack?are you there ??
I am there <!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!most of the things you said above is from your governments description !!
a lot uyhgur people died and arrsted in that demenstration ...
please tell me how Guo mindang government describe Hongjun (the red army) before 1949,they call them" tufei""( bandits )!!!! now you use the same way to describe anyone who is agianst government !!

b)

Xinjiang does not only belong to Uyghurs, but also Han and other minorities,  the Han immigrants first came to Xinjiang 2000 years ago, the Han dynasty then set up authority at Xinjiang and began its rule. I m not sure whether there was a nation called Uyghur lived in Xinjiang at that time. But I do know there are ten odds ethnical groups having been living there for hundreds years, which Uyghur is just one among them. Your claim Xinjiang belongs you Uyghurs is an insulting to other ethnics...
plaese name other ethics live in xinjang ,I guess you don't know right ?? you will find most of them are turkic !!!! for your han ,nomater what you said ,unfortunetly most of you are immigrants who just step your feet into
xinjiang after 1949!!!
no one says it belongs to uyghur only ,but it definitely doesn't belong to you  !!! please open your  eyes ,this is place is called eastern turkistan (lands for turks)

c)

My Uyghur classmates enjoy subsidies which almost offset their tuition fees and other preferentials from the government. The cutting score for their enrollment of the university is only half of ours. They would never get repeating at school. They told me an uyghur student in Xinjiang could not only rest on national holidays like all other Chinese, but also have their own religious holidays which other ethnics do not have. The one child policy and compulsive mandarin study are not including Uyghur and other minorities. ...

what kind of subsides ?? some of vey poor  uyhgur get some money from government just like somepoor chinese got  !!!plaese ,for GOd's sake treat us like other chinese cityzen !!!
score for their enrollment of the university is only half of ours????
nonsense !! ,it is only 50 scores lower ,not half !!
you are talking about tibeaten ?? their scores are half!!!!

d))

i m not denying a large part of Uyghur are under poverty and unemployed. And please dont forget a large part of other Chinese are also under the same situation. No offence to Uyghurs, as my own observation, many Uyghurs are less industrious than Han Chinese, they obsessed in drinking and dancing but not studying, and they have very weak time sense. With so much preferentials and oppotunities, u still stay poverty, u should look into yourself before blame others....
 please compare the chinese in xinjiang (not others) to uyhgur ,in xnjiang
any chinese ,nomater he is educated or nor ,he can get a job very easily ?? but uyhgur no way !!!

e) ))

The ongoing industry modernlization marginalises many farming and animal husbandry cultures, sad may it is , it is an inevitable process. So are other places in China. Some of u labled it as an assimilation policy is nothing but designing.....
what the hell you talking about ???nobody talks about  modernlization marginalises many farming and animal husbandry cultures in this thread !! you are the one who provoke the hatred between uyhgur and chinese !! what you said doesn't even  make sense !!!

f) ))

I dont know how the Chinese authority disrespects the Uyghur culture in particular. Uyghurs and other minorities have rights to moderfy the national laws and have their own specific regulations according to their particular customs and habbies. For example, they can adjust the one-child policy, sometimes even the consititution, like the consitution rules monogamy, but some ethnic groups have polygamy tradition, they are ok. Same with the Uyghurs, their some traditions which against laws would be tolerated by the government. The Uyghurs like other minorities have right to speak their own language, write their own script, practise their religion, all the signs at street and official documents have Uyghur script versions. .....

g) the abusement by the police may occur from time to time, but believe me,  they are definitely not to point against Uyghurs as a whole. The authority might be bordering brutal toward riots. But anyway who would be gentle  especially the riots were brutal themselves? The riots mainly occurs in southern Xinjiang where large portion of population undereducated, the youngsters shout slogan like ''death for jehad''''damn the infidels''which sounds very weird to me. Their reason for independence is that the government hold atheism while is intolerate by Allah, there should be an islamic theocracy. I think they are obviously instigated by some overseas groups or government who find themselves offensive when CCP took power.

))

My revisit to Xinjiang is on my travel list, after my journey i might could tell u more details about Xinjiang and Uyghurs.  The Uyghurs' hospitality impressed me lot during my previous tour......
very good ,you will be welcome there !!!

**edited by Seko due to certain inappropriate content**

Edited by Seko - 21-May-2006 at 11:29
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Qin Dynasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 03:14

Don't be mad, man. I m well educated and know Xinjiang's history and geography well. I ve been there several times, one of my teacher live there for 30 years, I will see him this summer.  In my previous reply, I talked my own experience, not what the government views. So sorry for no linkage offered. 

dude , please learn well about your country's geograghy !! 80 percent of xinjiang is not suitable for human being  to live  !! you don't think xinjiang is crowded ????????? 

80% is not suitable for human being to live? well, given it was true, there were still 20% which nearly 300,000 sq km where 16,050,000 population lived. Crowd may it be, but u want to compare it with east and inner regions of China? Just list a few, Jiangsu province, for example, 106,190 sq km with 72,220,000 population; Zhejiang province, 103,600 sq km with 43,410,000 population. Sicuan province, 110,840,000 population living in a 569,800 sq km area.

your immigration into xinjiang ,firstly forces our culture to disapear , how many mosques have been tored down by your government !!!how many uyghur communities in big cities in xinjiang has to be moved out of city ??

Give proofs how Uyghurs culture are forced to extinct and how many uyghur communities are forced to leave cities, and
you tell me how many mosques are dismantled by Chinese government. Opposite to what u said, I believe mosques in Xinjiang and other areas are amounting these years:

how much do you know about xinjiang ??most of you don't know ,when xinjiang mentioned in inner china ,they just get the picture of people riding camels and live in the desert !!  this is your knowlege about xinjiang !! 

well, as deserts in Xinjiang are famous, it is very natural that some people have image of camels representing Xinjiang.

so ,if you don't know the truth ,then please stop nonsense!!!!! 

i might be wrong on some details, I would rather approciate your correction.

yes ,some of those  are seperatists as you describe so_calledly  !!but most of them are fighting for uyghur's human rights !!
 distorting history ??? the history written by you chinese  is real history,and written by us is wrong history ???????? tell lies ??what lies we are telling here ,point it out ? we will discuss it with evidence !!!
inflaming racial hatred ????please ,man ,ask 9 million uyhgur in xinjiang if they are treated as human being !!!!

i was talking about those seperatists, why u got so excited? Are u  a seperatist group member in German or USA? From your reply, i can smell a  racial tone quite clearly.

don't be bias!!!! before 911 ,no terrists are said about uyhgur ,but after that you chinese begin to describe all musilim and uyhgur here !!!! how do you know it is terrorist attack?are you there ??
I am there <!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!most of the things you said above is from your governments description !!
a lot uyhgur people died and arrsted in that demenstration ...
please tell me how Guo mindang government describe Hongjun (the red army) before 1949,they call them" tufei""( bandits )!!!! now you use the same way to describe anyone who is agianst government !!

first, I never heard that Chinese government discribes all muslim and uyhgur as terrorist like u said.
second, though i was not there but my teacher was there, i hear from him not the government.
third, i said i was not speaking of Chinese government, so your analogy of Nationalists VS Communists is irrelevant.

plaese name other ethics live in xinjang ,I guess you don't know right ?? you will find most of them are turkic !!!! for your han ,nomater what you said ,unfortunetly most of you are immigrants who just step your feet into
xinjiang after 1949!!!
no one says it belongs to uyghur only ,but it definitely doesn't belong to you  !!! please open your  eyes ,this is place is called eastern turkistan (lands for turks)

Ok, because the Han people is not turkic, so they have no right living in Xinjiang, despite the fact they immigranted there 2000 years ago. Is it your logic?

By the way, i know quite well about the other ethnics. And I m not denying the majority are Uyghurs and the large immigrantion from inner China after 1949.

what kind of subsides ?? some of vey poor  uyhgur get some money from government just like somepoor chinese got  !!!plaese ,for GOd's sake treat us like other chinese cityzen !!!
score for their enrollment of the university is only half of ours????
nonsense !! ,it is only 50 scores lower ,not half !!
you are talking about tibeaten ?? their scores are half!!!!

Be honest, i m not clear about those numerous items of subsides. But i was told by Uyghurs, it could not be wrong. And whether the score is 50 lower of just half i cannot tell, i also heard from my Uyghur buddy without check.

Again, please give evidences how you Uyghurs as a nation recieve maltreatment from the government.

please compare the chinese in xinjiang (not others) to uyhgur ,in xnjiang
any chinese ,nomater he is educated or nor ,he can get a job very easily ?? but uyhgur no way !!!

the higher unemployment rate of Uyghurs results from various reasons. But unfortunately, u put it in an unproper racial way again.

what the hell you talking about ???nobody talks about  modernlization marginalises many farming and animal husbandry cultures in this thread !! you are the one who provoke the hatred between uyhgur and chinese !! what you said doesn't even  make sense !!!

sorry, i dont get it well. I said industrial modernlization should partly answer for the extinction of farming and animal husbandry cultures like traditional Uyghurs culture. How can this provoke racism hatred?

very good ,you will be welcome there !!!

i know, thanks.

For those who do not know the history and geography of Xinjiang well, the following web might be helped:

barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 10:50

You are totally unaware about the geography or the current situation in this region. Just check some consensus, you will see the average useful land per capita is much less than other so called crowed regions in the inner land. Now newly born child in the rural areas of Hotan can't get any share of the land, while in Hebei, at least one MU can be allocated. Let alone the urban areas. Urumchi is one of the most crowded cities in China. 

While talking about other side, you could have contributed your knowledge about Uyghur Culture. Sadly you also hijacked this thread to fall it into tedious political discussion.

b) Xinjiang does not only belong to Uyghurs, but also Han and other minorities,  the Han immigrants first came to Xinjiang 2000 years ago, the Han dynasty then set up authority at Xinjiang and began its rule. I m not sure whether there was a nation called Uyghur lived in Xinjiang at that time. But I do know there are ten odds ethnical groups having been living there for hundreds years, which Uyghur is just one among them. Your claim Xinjiang belongs you Uyghurs is an insulting to other ethnics.

Give your proof for any continuous Han existence in this region for the last two thousand years?

Never intermix the ancient Uyghurs with the present day Uyghurs. Present day Uyghurs are the mixture of all the ancient ethnicities and ancient Uyghurs. The people claming this region is PRESENT DAY Uyghurs. No matter what they called themselves in the History. 

c) My Uyghur classmates enjoy subsidies which almost offset their tuition fees and other preferentials from the government. The cutting score for their enrollment of the university is only half of ours. They would never get repeating at school. They told me an uyghur student in Xinjiang could not only rest on national holidays like all other Chinese, but also have their own religious holidays which other ethnics do not have. The one child policy and compulsive mandarin study are not including Uyghur and other minorities. 

You are not even close to the actual situation here. I'm not surprised, as I have seen many such people in this forum, who knows nothing about what they are talking about.

Waving of the Tuition fees? I paid my tuition fee while I was at the university, while some poor Chinese classmates enjoyed this.  Don't generalize. If the majority of the beneficiaries are Uyghurs, then this only shows their poverty.

As for the score, the national test is designed by the central educational bureau, and translated into Uyghur. The standard is based on the Chinese schools. While Chinese sutdents start to prepare for it three years earlier, Uyghurs prepare it just several months earlier. We can't spend our precious period of youth only for coping with exams. So it's normal to have different scales. Chinese students are good at tests, but they have big problem when they are asked to solve a practical task, and Uyghur students are just the opposite. Like it or not, we don't buy your stupid system.

One child policy? Dont you know the Uyghurs are also have to abide by it, although its only extended to two child policy. Considering the absolute number of Chinese, and the increasing number of migrants, this still is far from being fair.

Its compulsory to learn mandarin for us, where did you get this false info? We learn Chinese instead of English at school as a second language, we have to pass Chinese test to go to any university.  We learn English by ourselves only at the university. We have to pass English test just as Chinese (who have leant English for 14 years) to get admitted as a postgraduate student. Still we are managing. Your visits shouldnt be mainly focused on the natural spots.  

d) i m not denying a large part of Uyghur are under poverty and unemployed. And please dont forget a large part of other Chinese are also under the same situation. No offence to Uyghurs, as my own observation, many Uyghurs are less industrious than Han Chinese, they obsessed in drinking and dancing but not studying, and they have very weak time sense. With so much preferentials and oppotunities, u still stay poverty, u should look into yourself before blame others.

Yes, people are looking into themselves. They are realizing they are truly the second class in their homeland. Do you know that very few Uyghurs can find a job after graduation? Do you know that many companies just directly tell them that they dont hire Uyghurs? Do you know there is not a sinle Uyghur who is hired by the Poskam oil refinery factory in the last three years, although there are many Uyghur students who have graduated from petroleum universities in the inner land. What the people want is equal opportunity, not any symbolic policies.

e) The ongoing industry modernlization marginalises many farming and animal husbandry cultures, sad may it is , it is an inevitable process. So are other places in China. Some of u labled it as an assimilation policy is nothing but designing.

Well, Id say its a lame excuse.

f) I dont know how the Chinese authority disrespects the Uyghur culture in particular. Uyghurs and other minorities have rights to moderfy the national laws and have their own specific regulations according to their particular customs and habbies. For example, they can adjust the one-child policy, sometimes even the consititution, like the consitution rules monogamy, but some ethnic groups have polygamy tradition, they are ok. Same with the Uyghurs, their some traditions which against laws would be tolerated by the government. The Uyghurs like other minorities have right to speak their own language, write their own script, practise their religion, all the signs at street and official documents have Uyghur script versions.

OMG, you know nothing about Uyghurs and also about China. All the people have to abide by the Law. Constitution is sacred. We have no power to change it. There are polygamy in China? Its really new for me, although Ive been living here for more than twenty years. The rights such as using the language, script, practicing religion are given by the autonomous law, which fully complies to the constitution, and is made in Beijing by the peoples congress.

Now stop your nonsense. Lets come back to the topic, which is about Uyghur Culture.

Shogun
Shogun

Quote Qin Dynasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2006 at 04:55

you know what, despite your consistent bashness, like called me nonsense , u did not talk anything rational, u know it? I guess u dont know, give me facts, give me proofs, will u???? NO, u failed to do it, nor did your buddies,  and u even dont know there are polygamy in China, and what u mean ancient Uyghurs are not present day Uyghurs??? This is ridiculars, Why u didnot start a thread like Present Uyghurs culture, and Why u guys not directly answer my previous questions but wiggle to other parts? Because, u dont have any facts to tell, would u guy dare have a face off debate with me ? I m afraid u wouldnt, what u are good at is just like ''stop nonsense'', ''u know nothing about Uyghurs and China'',''u know nothing about what u talking''...etc. Would u guys learn to have some constructive talks??? They are really cheap shots i have to tell u. And I wonder who hijacked the thread into another bash  China crap.

oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2006 at 11:54

... To bash the movement of people in one country is absurd and laughable.  

well we have never thought its one country,thats why people fighting for independance since Manju invasion(mid 18th century),several times we were so close,but not lcky enough,pitty.

so this means you can never feel what Uighur feel like towards chinese occupation,especially laws like bortion,banning Uighur language from school and forbidding normal religous practices.

a)  the so called ''1997 demonstration'' is a severe  terrorist attack, some of  u call it a demonstration???  It occured the day when  the funeral of the reputed and respected Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping was undergoing. Several public buses were bombed and near a hundred killed and wounded, most of them were Uyghurs. One of my middle school teacher was at the spot and he told us how bloody and horrible it was. That's your way to demonstrate.
please dont treat us like a fool,let me ask you ,where you have been at that time?!  here are the people exactly from there.BTW its nothing to do with the death of Deng,please check the date correctly,it was the eve of a religous festival day---Ramadan.those young students(may peace be upon them) asked government banning the bortion law and more religous freedom.at the end it went little uncontrol becuase of police interruption and one policeman got injured,8 police cars burned,on the other hand more than1000 young got prisoned ,most of them never came back.34 young killed by open court which secured by tanks and heavyly armed soldiers.(this doesnot include my neighbor,who killed in prison by torture,the only " crime " he did is: one year before this demonstration he invited some friends to his house,and it turned out that day his friends took part but not himself,we were informed second day after arrestment that he died,he left his wife and three years old kid).all the census is from official statement,not from people.if I state death toll according to what iv heard ,you will be shocked if you have little bit conscience! again,when suppression was going on,all communication ways blockaded within Ili region,afterwards media told people as a terroristic attack with facked stories,thats why you misunderstood,but we know the truth...
cause it happend during the winter vacation ,after suppression,we students forced to go to school for a week and forced to accept new law which is forbidding students from religous practice,which called<< 7th document from central government>>.Famous Uighur business woman Rebiya Kadeer(who got Rafto prize,here is the link: http://www.rafto.no/DesktopModules/ViewAnnouncement.aspx?ItemID=203&Mid=42)got prisoned because of sending local newspapers(which reported news about this demonstration ,BTW its a legal paper with international code)to her husband in USA.chinese officials named her crime as " leaking national secret ".

b) Xinjiang does not only belong to Uyghurs, but also Han and other minorities,  the Han immigrants first came to Xinjiang 2000 years ago...
so typical of you guys,nevertheless,we have discussed about that enough on some other topics,You are gonna repeat it somehow,which is wasting our time,so please check related topics in here,I am sure you will find tons of facts! here they are,please refer:

the point is we ---Uighurs are definitly experiencing extinction of Uighur culture,which is imporatnt for human as well as yours.Sarcasticly,in UN ,there are organisations defending animals from extiction while there are not any  that defending culture and languages from extiction.

May be I can understand your ignorance about Uighurs because of misleading and totally false " adver " by government,but this one I really dont understand.You know in China,students from different provinces considered differently,the cutting score depends on region and at some extant,nationality,e.g. my chinese uni classmates have quite different score from each other,one from Sichuan is 640,one from Jiang su is 583,and mine is 455.Is my score is half of them?! Do NOT forget,chinese students from East Turkistan sharing this police too,cause east coastal regions richer than west regions,so the education facilities and life standard are quite different.BTW I paid full tuition fees as other chinese ,and my other uighur friends did too,as far as have known,the situation is still same as before.If you had higher education there,I am 100% sure that you know these facts,but you are saying something else,does this mean you are an honest person?....

d) .... they obsessed in drinking and dancing but not studying, and they have very weak time sense. With so much preferentials and oppotunities, u still stay poverty, u should look into yourself before blame others.
So ridiculous.So you can also say e.g. Russians obessed in drinking and dancing right? but they have space station! are you saying all uighurs(10million) or few people? please discuss with a little ,a little bit reason and logicLOL we have rich oil sources under two basins of East Turkistan,but we are still poor,I dont understand...  dont forget to see the plenty of oil fields there when you go there,may be you can find your answer,hopefully

In sum, I feel sorry that drawing down politics on this topic,this Topic should go on as it was.If you really like to discuss politics then you can open a new topic,and I am ready to put stuff on it....

regards

Edited by oghuzkb - 23-May-2006 at 12:33
The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2006 at 17:05
Yugur, an ethnic minority in China.

Its commonly believed that these people are descended from ancient Uyghur, with later mixture with Mongol and Tibetan. Which formed both ethnical and cultural element of the Yugur community.

I found no one mentioned these people here, as they are related to both Turkic and Mongolic.

Otto Liman Von Sanders View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Otto Liman Von Sanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2006 at 18:01
Well, there ARE so much Turkic tribes, you can't mention them all Charioteer! ;)

For historical reasons, three different languages are spoken by the Yugur people: a Turkic branch of the Altaic language family (Raohul), which is used by the Yugur people in the western part of the autonomous county; a Mongolian branch of the same language family (Engle), used by those in the eastern part of the county; and, the Chinese language, used by Yugur in Huangnibao. The Yugur languages do not have their own characters, and instead, use Chinese characters.

Very interesting. I have seen some pictures of the Yugurs and they definitely look like a Turkic tribe.

This is interesting too:

The nationality's current, official name, Yugur, derived from the Yugur's autonym: the Turkic speaking Yugur designate themselves as Yogr or Sarg Yogr ((Yellow) Yugur), and the Mongolic speaking Yugur likewise use either Yogor or era Yogor ((Yellow) Yugur). Chinese historical documents have recorded these ethnonyms as Sālǐ Wiw'ěr or Xīlǎgǔ'ěr. During the Qing dynasty, the Yugur were also called Hungfān ('Yellow Barbarian'). In order to distinguish both groups and their languages, Chinese linguists coined the terms Xīb Yg Western Yigur and Dōngb Yg Eastern Yugur based on their geographical distribution.

Now, tell me. Who has got the strongest blood strain? the French (hahaha, don't make me laugh. The French are mostly morons)? the Dutch (great people but not a strong bloodstrain)? Russians (slaves, a mixture of everything). That brings us to Turks. Most definitely Turks got the strongest bloodstrain and the Chinese and Mongols ofcourse. Heil the Turk. Thy Kingdom Come. Thy Will Be Done. Before Turks Get To Heaven (inshallah), They're known for raising A Little Hell on earth. Respect for all other nations but Turks are the greatest. That's why punks like the French are negative about Turks, they are jealous. The ancestor of the French is wine. The French ARE wine. I have to admit the English got a pretty strong bloodstrain too. Respect for that.

Edited by Otto Liman Von Sanders - 23-May-2006 at 18:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>