Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rome: Total War

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rome: Total War
    Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 14:51

Originally posted by Catt

explicit, i dont know about that it is too early for that.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10207

You could really contribute the best additions.

ah yes, noticed that thread but haven't watched it yet...

from what I've seen the contribution by the historical faction are the same i would give, but they lack on eastern factions...Cataphract camels did exist? WTF?

well, the first thing they should do is completely overhauling the egyptians, that would already give the game much mroe authencity, then next change the non-mediterranean factions of europe so they won't look like a stereotypical mass of random barbarians that only have diferent special untis etc...the worst faction after the Ptolemies are probably the Scythians...should probably replaced by Sarmatians, because Scythians dissappeared right after the game starts off, and the untis are of course crap too, they look lke mongols and the female units are basically crap, one unit is ok, but not making a big deal of the Amazon stuff...

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 16:25
Egypt is going to get some serious attention,
Never had heard anything about Cataphract camels either, strange unit is ok i guess. Skreechers are bad, they look like they are going to the mall. I think my new most hated freak is the Arcani, they did exist but look at them. Also, if not removed, they perhaps should be redone and made into agents.

Did you see the ones someone put on horses?

EDIT: i linked the picture but it came out huge and was just to scary.

Edited by Catt
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 16:34
did anyone notice the town 'Domus dulcis domus' (home sweet home) yet ?
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 16:54
which provence?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 17:08
I don't know the exact province, but it was somewhere in or close to modern-day Lithuania
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 17:40

cat,

yeah, i've seen them mounted arcani)...of course most barbarian units should be overhauled, especially the screeching/chanting of some units...instead they can give the barbarian swordsmen wedge formation to give them an advantage over the Romans.

btw, the provinces name is Locus Gepidae...I always wondered what that name means

lars573 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote lars573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 21:47

Originally posted by Temujin

btw, the provinces name is Locus Gepidae...I always wondered what that name means

Locus is latin for location. Gepidae is the name of the people that live there so Gepids. So literally the provinces name is location of the Gepids. Kind of like the area that is now pomerainia and prussia is called locus Gothi or location of the goths.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2004 at 13:51
I beat the mini campaign as the Scipii, now its time for Egypt to CONQUER THE WORLD AND BRING OFFERINGS OF ROMAN FLESH TO ANUBIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 14:47

bow to the Numidians!!

http://img48.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img48&image=carthage.jpg

with that crappy army i conquered Carthage!

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 15:25
with no onagers(dont know what it is in German) or catapults?
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 16:58
onaaaaaagerkreiginshaftenheusanflavensteine I beleive is the corect German term
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 17:51

Sometimes the enemies are so stupid they leave their gate open.

Oh, and catapult is Katapult in German
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 17:54

Onager is Onager

actually it was quite funny, I just laid siege on Carthage, then a single cavalry-unit attacked my rear and the carthaginian garrison came out as reinforcements...the rest is legend written in the sands of Dune...eh, I mean Tunisia  

and this is what happened: I defeated the cavalry unit, then i made a complete U-turn with my army to face the garrison, I noticed that the general stayed way behind the main army, so i took both generals that i've posted on the flansk to outflank the carths and killed their general as well as their only cavalry unit that rushed in to save their idiotic general but got slaughtered too. in the meantime the two units of elephants slaughtered my infantry (I'm actually suprised there were that many survivors) while my cavalry did their job on their two units of lybian speamren and some units of Iberian infantry. i charged a unit of skirmishers with my generals and then dispersed the carth army and charged single infantry units with groups of cavalry that have by now seriously decimated them with their javelins. in the end only the elephants stayed alive...

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 18:25

why Numidians? Strange faction to start off this so highly anticipated game with.

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

Sometimes the enemies are so stupid they leave their gate open.
are you sure you didnt have a spy inside?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 18:28
The don't really leave their gate open, but It's often quite easy to sneak inside together with routing enemy units.

I think the computer AI should leave their army inside a city when the attackers have to way to breach through the walls.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 18:30
oh i see.   Atleast they are programmed to atleast leave one unit inside to guard the plaza.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 19:40

firt of all, there's a patch available.
and while you're on the HP and download it, check out the Res Romanae, tell me if you notice a difference

why Numidians? Strange faction to start off this so highly anticipated game with.

thats not my firt campaign actually, firt i started as Julii, btu very soon i got bored, they're too easy and I actually never lked roman warfare much, so after i got the allunlocked mod i started as scythians, i really liked them but in one battle my general and leader was killed by 60 remainign german spearmen out of an army of 300 or more, I ahd to go melee becasue I run out of arrows. hell, i killed over 200 enemies but in the melee my whole amry of 200 horsearchers got killed by 60 germans not even commanded by a real general! so i quit...
then today i started as parthians, but one of my family memebrs got killed very early when i transfered him to another town. in the narrow valleys he got trapped between a small rebel army and the border of the map, so i sallied out with the garrison of the city to defeat the few rebels, ut my general unit whic was commanded by the Ai got in as reinforcement and attacked them head on and got killed. I quit...
so, I thought about what to play next, Thracians are a too historical inaccurate to be played and armenians start with only one provicne i think, so i choose Numidians, so I have at least a pretty accurate desert army. and what's actually wrong with them? they were the elite unit of hannibals army...

I must also adress soem thing apart from the historical stuff...

first, i don't get the whole finance system, the finacne-tab soemtimes tell be i get negative income but my treasury is increasing nevertheless. also, when you put buildings or units in the construction queue, the price for it is immediately withdrawn from the treasury...I find that weird, what's that queue actualy good for when you don't have the money to actually put in a line of untis?

second, I was playign Scythians and got a plague in oen of my cities (if you can even call it like that) but sicne i'm "barbarian", i cannot build canalisation so there's nothign i could hae done, and every round my population and sodleirs died like mad. and talkign abotu realism, where's a disease mroe likely to apear? in a large overcrowded city or a small village?

third, i'm completely unused of the new strategic map. it takes hours for diplomats and other startegic untis to reach the final location. ambushes are weird, I mean how can complete armies hide in such small forrests? and one time i was surroudned with my single roman general (i was again transferign governours) and i could not retreat! yes, even though i managed to evade the main gaul body and reacht he red line, i could NOT press the retreat-button!  and the AI seem to do it as often as possible (ambushing) even in own territory. then, why are there always those small rebel armies appearing in my own territory? how do i prevent that? they're annyoign as hell. and what about those governour thign at all? why the hell do they have to stay in the city? i need commander for armies? and what about the new spy thing and outposts? in medieval you could actualyl see everythign in your province, but here large provinces are completely covered with fog, i don't know what's goign on in my ow provicnes! soemtimes there are rebels in completely remote parts of my provicnes and i don't notice them for years ebcasue i can't see them! and spies are now annyoing as hell, in medieval and shogun you could easily prevent your provicnes from beign infiltrated but now you're completely off-guard, you have to spend huge sums on coutner-spies and offensive spies, then, you have to build numerous of those watchtower for one provicne alone, and they're mroe expensive than in medieval and shogun. and i some battles, the losing army sometimes retreats in a completely ridiculous direction.

well, that's quite a lot to complain about the strategical map and i hope it's just that I'm not yet used to it, but right now I'm pretty annyoed by it!

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 20:28
your such a quitter!

the irregularities in the finances may be due to corruption. I understand that some of it actually comes back to you but am not completely sure about that.Time will tell. You can make diplomats and such go faster on the map by hitting your space bar or double-right click at the command, or if that is not exactly what you are saying keep some dispatched in different parts.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 20:48

i'm not a quitter, i lost a good general and my libyan province to egypt but i lost it in fair combat, unlike the two previous examples....and ask mast about his longest campaign and you'll see who the quitter is...

well, i think the main problem with the new finance system is that the money get's immediately withdrawn from your treasury and the computer counts in the balance of the expended money already in next round's profit or something...the new economy model is a complete mistery to me yet...

btw, did you saw the new Res Romanae yet? and have you noticed any differences with the tweaked elephants? i wodner why they haven't adressed the wardogs first...

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 21:24

the worst thing to me is how Nubians u get as egypt...

1.  arent bowmen

2.  look like Zulus

-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>