Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rome: Total War

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rome: Total War
    Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 14:28
yes, i sent them to you yesterday. Ill send them again,make sure the export and descr files in your data folder are english.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 15:42
lol, did you get the files, i sent them.

The Real site is now underway to make it more historcal and balanced. Though in its infancy, with this and the Center i see dedication!

http://www.rometotalrealism.com/
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 15:54
 I had no idea you've sent them to my hotmail adress, I thought you would send it to my regular adress...anyways, stupid hotmail not only put your first two mails into the junkbox-directory, it also integrated the .txt file into the mail so it's of no use for me...  
could you send it to my regular German adress if possible?
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 16:01

done.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 20:11

Originally posted by Temujin

aaaaah, it did it again!!  it seems .txt files are alsways automatically displayed in the actual mail...could you send the file(s) as .zip?

damn time-bug again

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 10:15
Boo, it occasioanly crashes in stratigic map mode when i try to view the Senate scroll
Arrrgh!!"
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 14:34
I was getting that random crash as well.Noticed some senate movies were more reliable than others.In a particular season it picks one of the 10 movies located in the data/fmv/senate. In my test, L06 seemed best so i made 9 copies of it and renamed them same as originals 1-10 which i stored away.They are also accessable from your disk directly if overwritten. It is very crude and i get the same movie every time but it is working. Hope to eventually find the exact reason later to this.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2004 at 02:11
looks like work has started on a LOTR mod. Enjoyed Tolkein and the movies were good, but no thanks. \

http://lotrtotalwarmod.proboards33.com/index.cgi?board=metw
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2004 at 04:40
Hmm intresting, so its the specific movie. You should mention this on the official totalwar forums, as there was a thread about this bug, but the solution was the usual -crap computer, get drivers/codecs etc. (didn't make a difference for me).
Arrrgh!!"
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2004 at 05:39
not really sure why this happens. It is as though when you hit the senate tab, it gets confused to which movie to pick or such. My game would crash 2,3 times a session. Now since the change,in a week it has only crashed once.
Hope this is addressed soon.
---

Today while playing, i thought to myself what this game would be like if it had the option to manage a trade system similar to Port Royale's. Would that not just take the cake? If it did,well i would just cut my game to a fine powder and snort it up my nose!
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2004 at 16:20

btw, me and mast have begun talkign about a mod about medieval half a year ago or so for the first time. I wnated to make a mod about MTW and asked for his help but he said we should wait until Romea s it'll be easier to mod.

well, here we are. Romes out and needs a lot of modding and we talked again about changes, especially since so far no mod yet went the way I'd like to have it.

what i'm talking about is what we've called the "AE mod", meanign that we'll make a mod with the help of AE members (me & mast. I'm also thinking of Cat here in specific ). help is welcome and we're especially aimign at as much historical accuracy as possible. the mod would also be a good advertisement for the forums. so if yu're knoledged on the period (military etc) you can already make a good contribution. faction-wise we need most help witht he helenistic states and carthage.
I've also quite concrete plans for 4 of my favourite factions (Numidia, Thracians, Sarmatians which will replace Scythians adn Parthians). faction-wise itself I thougth about replacing Spain (iberia) with celtiberians*, removig the roman factions and only leave one faction (the republic) and thus removign the senate (which isn't that itnerestign at all). this will also include removing some italian provicnes so the romasn wouldn't have an advantage. i also waat to remove the greek faction and isntead maybe create a "real" state, epiros or pergamum comes to mind. for addign new factions i thought about an "arabian" state, like nabataeans (they would get Sinai and Nabataea provicnes for isntance) some we can contain egypt and have anotehr unique faction. mast also said that it's importnat to make the factiosn as unique as possibe, this will especially be difficult with the helensitic natins, thats's why we need help there especially as already mentioned.

*i've done a little reading on them on weekends, and it seems the hispanic people were categorized into three main people, the Iberians, Celtiberians (gallified iberians) and anoterh tribe whose name i've forgotten, they were "purer" celtic than the celtiberians and lived in the northwest, the asturian and cantabrian tries belonged to this group. it seems the iberians were almost entirley udner the control of carthage an the celts were too small and unimortant. thus, spain would look like this: gallaeica = rebel, Lusitania=celtiberian, celtiberia=celtiberian, baetica=carthage, hispania=carthage, taraconenis=not descided yet, maybe rebel)

I'm also thinking about renaming brits to belgicae (belgians) and only giving them one starting province in britain proper (britannia superior) apart from the belgica province. Ill also move the germanics more north, they'll start in tribus saxones, germania inferior and tribus chattii, maybe also giving them locus gothi and regnum marcomannii, have not met any other serious desicions about the other factions.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2004 at 16:37

*i've done a little reading on them on weekends, and it seems the hispanic people were categorized into three main people, the Iberians, Celtiberians (gallified iberians) and anoterh tribe whose name i've forgotten, they were "purer" celtic than the celtiberians and lived in the northwest, the asturian and cantabrian tries belonged to this group. it seems the iberians were almost entirley udner the control of carthage an the celts were too small and unimortant. thus, spain would look like this: gallaeica = rebel, Lusitania=celtiberian, celtiberia=celtiberian, baetica=carthage, hispania=carthage, taraconenis=not descided yet, maybe rebel)

When the Caraghinians first reached Spain there was a very prosperous kingdom called Tartessos in the southwest. Maybe you can make Lusitania Tartessos.

about the Britons: I think you shouldn't change them to Belgians. The Belgians were Gallic. If you create a Belgian faction, you should also create an Aquitanian one. Perhaps it's the best to give Belgica to Gaul, and compensate Brittania by giving it Hiberia.

Furthermore it may be an Idea to give the provinces East of the Baltic Sea to a Aesti faction (or to 'Aesti rebels').

Finally some sugestions about Germania Inferior (aka 'the Netherlands ): the name of the city 'Batavodurum' should best be renamed to 'Noviomagus' (current Nijmegen). AFAIK there existed no city/town called Batavodurum.  If you want to move the Germans more to the north perhaps you should give Germania inferior to 'Batavian rebels'. Finally it would be nice if you could recruit 'Batavian Mercenaries' in Germania Inferior, because Batavii were often used as mercenaries in the Roman Army. (many of them served in the Praetorian guards, the murderer of emperor Pertinax was most likely a Batavian)
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2004 at 16:53

the problem is I have no idea yet what and how mayn provicnes i should give to carthage, if we leave the provicnes as they're now, it would be too much to give them lybia, numidia and mauretania, but numidians would be too weak probably, on the other hands numidians shouldn't really be a naval power...

about britain: well, if were pedantic they should be gauls as well, but then they would own way too many provinces (france, britain, northern italy, alpes etc). adding an aquitanian faction however seems nice, i hadn't time yet to read up on the gauls, so any help here is welcome as well. regarign the name, I think the gauls in SE britain were of the belgic tribe, but i haven't read about them yet either, so....

mmh, about aesti, I've never heard of them, maybe you could give me mre info? so far i have no itnention to create anotehr faction in the baltic, east europe, though it's quite empty so far, but aesti is so far a better name as domus dolci domus...

about batavians: well, ive not realyl the itnention to make tribe-specific units, like markomanni or gothic this or that, just generic units for generic factions (germanics/gauls etc)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2004 at 17:11

mmh, about aesti, I've never heard of them, maybe you could give me mre info? so far i have no itnention to create anotehr faction in the baltic, east europe, though it's quite empty so far, but aesti is so far a better name as domus dolci domus...

There isn't much known about the Aesti. IIRC Tacitus wrote about them in Germania. He said they weren't Germans. They were most likely Baltics, ancestors of current Latvians and Lithuanians.

about batavians: well, ive not realyl the itnention to make tribe-specific units, like markomanni or gothic this or that, just generic units for generic factions (germanics/gauls etc)

The game already has local mercenaries (Cretan Archers, Balearic slingers, etc.). So it would be cool if there would be a Batavian mercenary unit (Batavian Horse Guards perhaps) available in Germania Inferior and surroundings.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2004 at 17:14

you're right, i'll think about it.

well actually i've thoguth about somethign like this already (mercenary-wise), but no concrete ideas on the whole mercenary thing yet.

Edited by Temujin
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2004 at 12:35

soem thoguths abotut eh untis of teh 4 factiosn i have in mind:

Numidians

cavalry: numidian cavalry (javelin armed) -> elephants (the small one's without a tower)

infantry: simple spearmen -> armoured spearmen (both withotu phalanx ability)

ranged: javelineers -> sligners

Thracians

cavalry: mounted javelineers -> heavy mounted javelineers as well as  macedonian cavalry (unarmorued with spears)

infantry: unarmoured swordsmen (maybe with javelins, r simply the heavy peltasts of the greeks) -> 'bastarnae' (with cloth and larger shield)

ranged: heavy peltast/javelineer soemthing -> slinger

Sarmatians

cavalry: lancer -> armoured lancer -> cataphract

infantry: simple spearmen -> armoured spearmen (both without phalanx ability)

ranged: horse archers -> armoured horse archers

Parthians

cavalry: mounted archers -> armoured lancer -> cataphract

infantry: simple spearmen -> arab mercenaries (armoured swordsmen)

ranged: javelinmen -> arab camel archers

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2004 at 14:21
Temujin, how are german mods doing, any progress?
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2004 at 19:09
jah, das issssst uber grosse!  Parthians have das Oktoberfest gun!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2004 at 13:39

is there somehign you want to tell me?

no, i'm not following German communities activity...

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2004 at 14:52
i wonder how big the modding community that you have access to, have you tried importing any english modifications?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>