Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ottoman Power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ottoman Power
    Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 20:21
I'm merely questioning Temujin on how the Byzantine Roman claiming Ancient Roman is any different from Modern Macedonian claiming ancient Macedonian. 
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 20:22
In fact the only difference I see is Modern MAcedonian have no connection to the Ancient ones while Byzantine and Rome does.
Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 20:36
Because they share a common language and culture when "macedonians" do not with ancient macedonians.
Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 22:22

Romans and later Byzantine do not share common language although they do have "similar" culture.

And neither language or culture is how one judges nationality.

Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 23:06

Romans spoke latin which is came produced Italian for the italians. Byzantine empire spoke greek which is exactly what greeks speak. Ancient Macedonians spoke a defferent language than present day slavic macedonian.

-Jc
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 03:22
Roman and "Byzantine" empire do have the same legal and civil priciples. One is the direct continuation of the other in different form.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 13:55

so you can claim the USA as Great Britain in this case...besides back then there was no concept of nationality as it has always been said by so many people, so why always pointing out they were Romans when in fact they've been Greeks? most modern countries also share common legal rights and have been "americanized" on grand scale, so is europe the USA?

Kubrat, no I have no sources of Slavs mixing with Macedonians, but I neither have any sources on how they were exterminated by the Slavs, so what happened to the ancient Macedonians?

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 14:43
they stopped breeding with women, so they died out.  Happens when you have a catamite based economy.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 18:58

I was replying to warheads post if you habve any though of reading all the posts.

Temujin so is europe the USA?

what are you saying?  What does this have anything to do with anything? If you are trying to make a point please rephrase it. My point is that language, culture, and custums make up peoples. If you want to talk about americanization of europe go make a new post.

Edited by Christscrusader
-Jc
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 19:16
Originally posted by Christscrusader

IMy point is that language, culture, and custums make up peoples.

Hehe Try telling Mengtzu this...
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 20:13

ok......

-Jc
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 21:25
Originally posted by Christscrusader

ok......

You're kind of new...so I guess it makes sense you don't get this...-_-...but basically we had a whole argument about this in the Asian Forum and Mengtzu, (have you met him yet?), argued very convincingly against this...

Edited by Gubukjanggoon
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 21:39
Yeah, i don't think i've spoken to him. I really don't go in Asian forums either, my knowledge is limited there.
-Jc
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 12:05
you're off-topic here as well, and my last response was not for you anyways...
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 13:57

so what happened to the ancient Macedonians?

Didn't they become Vlachs (not Wallachians but Morlachs)?

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 15:50
Good well this is a free post and i can respond as I please.
-Jc
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 18:10
Well, Temujin, the wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonians#The_Ancient_Macedon ians gives a more thorough history of the Macedonians.  It does say that the Macedonians and the Greeks unified in their fight against Rome, but it does not say how exactly they were conquered and what the Romans did to them (if anything).  It mostly blames their dwindling population on incursions by the Huns, Visigoths, and Vandals.

But it is very informative.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 18:44
We should make a topic of this in one of the main European forums, either the Middle Ages (because that is when they disappeared) or the earlier Mediterranean civilizations forum.
-William Shakespeare
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 14:32

I agree wtih this.

janus, no Wallachians lived way north of Macedonia.

Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 17:07
Hmm, janus said Vlahs, but not Wallachians.  I think that is what became of them, and they live mostly up in the mountains now, but I could be wrong...
-William Shakespeare
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>