Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Icelanders are going

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Icelanders are going
    Posted: 08-Jun-2008 at 10:00
I would like to let you participate in my dangerous daily life in Iceland.
Sparten may face the Yeti, the Aussies might be haunted by killer-crocodiles and the Yankees biggest all-day-life danger has passed by, after Ms.Clinton has resigned the candidate rally, but the common Icelander has to fight for his life 24 hours and 7 days aweek. No i don't meant my wife, but see...

Polar Bear Shot

A polar bear spotted in Skagafjördur yesterday around 9.30 am was shot by police when it was clear that no narcotics were available to put the animal to sleep. A farmer in Keldudalur saw the bear walking along a mountain road and called the police.

The killing of the bear has caused some unrest among people. Polar Bears are endangered animals, but Icelandic laws state that if a polar bear comes to the shore and threatens humans or cattle, it is allowed to kill it.

Stefán Vagn Stefánsson, chief policeman in Saudárkrókur, made the decision to kill the bear in consult with Þórunn Sveinbjarnardóttir, Minister of the environment. Stefánsson claims that no narcotics where available so therefore it was necessary to kill it. “The animal was moving and we could not risk to lose it out of eyesight,” Stefánsson said to Morgunbladid.  “The weather conditions were foggy and the bear was moving quickly” Stefánson said.

Þórunn Sveinbjarnardóttir, Minister of the environment says that no narcotics where available and the gun which is used to shoot such narcotics was in another part of the country. “There exists no strategy about what should be done in a situation like this” Sveinbjarnardóttir told mbl.is.

A biologist added in an interview with RÚV that Iceland lacked all the necessary equipment to catch a bear alive and keep it alive.

The chief veterinarian in Blönduós, Egill Steingrímsson, is not satisfied with the actions taken by the police. He disagrees with policeman Stefánsson and Minister Sveinbjarnardóttir about the narcotics. “I even had narcotics in my trunk and if the narcotics gun would have been sent by flight it would have arrived within an hour”

News of the polar bear was broadcast all around Iceland and by the time the police arrived, a considerably large crowd of people in cars had gathered at the mountain road where the bear was found roaming. Steingrímsson thinks the police should have closed the road. “There were around 50 to 60 people there watching. The police did not have many options when the bear ran down the hill, approaching the crowd. I’m very unsatisfied that the police did not try to catch it alive and did not close the road,” Steingrímsson said to mbl.is

Polar bears have visited Iceland every now and then by drifting ice. The oldest record of polar bears in Iceland is from 890, 16 years after settlement, when a farmer in Vatnsdalur spotted a she-bear with two cubs. The last visit was in 1993 when sailors saw a bear swimming off the coast of Strandir. It too was killed.

Polar bears were frequently tamed during the middle ages, but since then, no bear has been captured alive in Iceland. Polar bear skins were very valuable until the polar bears were preserved and the Danish crown was a sole owner of all polar bear skins taken in Iceland until 1900.

Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2008 at 16:37
Why do you think, nobody beside the Icelanders takes notice of Iceland?

We don't qualify for the Football Worldchampionships, we are still killing whales, the social standard is like nowhere else in the world like the costs of living.

The Dane in general is glad that Iceland isn't any longer an appendix of his country and the rest of the Europeans don't even think about the Icelander.

The Pakistanian can't imagine what it means to live on an Iceland near the pole and the common US-habitant loves the cute Icelandic girls but is not able to show the  homeland of the beauties on a map.

But does the Icelander has a feeling of inferiority or is he mostly depressive?
No, he is proud.

Any Australian air conditioning can simulates the same clima that our island has and every Iranian has a president that is well known by the rest of the world. But does anyone of you know the name of the Icelandic premier? And his speeches are not less amusing!

In Germany every second guy is wearing a button for a free Tibet. But the knowing of Iceland is limited to our little horses.

Iceland, a spot in the world,a dammned cold spot, believe me.

Please stand up for Natinonal Anthem of Iceland....a dream, some days at the Olympic games or Football WC!!!

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 04-Jul-2008 at 10:20

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 09:59
Don't be sad, it's well known here at least ;) Everybody knows the tölting little horses (though they are very common here too), the beautiful nature, manly men who fishes sharks with their bare hands and the nightlife of Reykjavik. And just say "thungur hnifur" and you will see that also modern Icelandic  culture has deeply penetrated Scandinavia.LOL
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2008 at 22:19

Sleep_well

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 29-Jul-2008 at 22:21

Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2008 at 18:49
While a strike of the midwives shakens Iceland and the government piles up new depts to stabilze the economy, american tourists invade our island, like the Danish vikings did lastly.

New records were established last year and new will be this year...

Most Tourists in Iceland Come from America

The combination of nationalities of foreign visitors to Iceland remains unchanged between tourism seasons. This summer, as in previous summers, most tourists who visited Iceland came from the United States.

After US citizens, the biggest groups of tourists came from the United Kingdom, Germany and the Scandinavian countries, Morgunbladid reports.

Last year there were 485,000 tourists in Iceland compared to 9,300 in 1957, 50 years earlier, according to information from the Icelandic Tourist Board.

If the number of foreign tourists in Iceland will continue to increase by six percent annually, Iceland can expect 637,813 visitors in 2015.

More and more tourists choose to visit Iceland, especially Reykjavík, outside the summer peak season.

When may i welcome you?

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 09:33
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

When may i welcome you?

Whenever the prices go down. Two weeks in Greece is cheaper than flight tickets to Reykjavik. I've been on the verge of going several times, but never got around to it. I better go before you're swimming with tourists though Confused
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2008 at 09:09
into depression.

This week was like there was no other before, i had ever experienced before.

Queues in front of the banks were people were sent home with nothing else than a long face. No money, no fun!

Hoardings at the supermarkets, prices which are growing faster than you can imagine.
Bad news every next moment, here and around the corner.

Knowing experiences from the grat depression in the 1920s, told by my grandpa, it had never thought that i would ever be a witness of such scenarios.

Companies announced that they will decrease the numbers of their empoyees. Foreign labours decide to go back. It's like a kick out of the paradise.

The only golden moment in the elapsed week was the 1-0 victory of our national football team against macedonia at the wc qualification match on wednesday.

Dark clouds above Reykjavik

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2008 at 13:31
The Icelanders are going for real now, huh. If a football victory over Macedonia is the highlight then times are dark indeed.

I suggest you become part of Norway again and we'll teach you how a country is run. Wink
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2008 at 13:54
Originally posted by Reginmund

I suggest you become part of Norway again and we'll teach you how a country is run. Wink

Joining Norway makes your seas full of oil? Shocked
Berengina View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Berengina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2008 at 20:54
Sorry about all the financial mess in Iceland - I'm sure it will all lead to better times.    

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2008 at 21:15
Does this mean we should:

A) support Iceland's aluminium factories, now that you guys need the funds, even though the environmentalists are worried about industrial emmisions?

B) buy untold amounts of Bjork compact discs

or

C) get UvH and his family a one way ticket to Sekostan so he could live the life of a real jester?
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2008 at 21:17
Originally posted by Seko

B) buy untold amounts of Bjork compact discs

These would make good tabletop coasters for drinks.  However, who wants to pay $12-18 for a coaster?

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2008 at 21:20
...for the amount of drinking the Icelander's will need to do in order to get over this mess that appears to be a sound investment. Big%20smile
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2008 at 08:02
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Joining Norway makes your seas full of oil? Shocked

And whales. Mmm, whale.
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 18:29
My fellows, last night Iceland got a shock..

Police Officers Injured after Clash with Protestors

Two police officers are seriously injured after being hit with flagstones during a struggle with protestors on Austurvöllur parliament square in Reykjavík last night. Police resorted to the use of tear gas bombs—the first time such a tactic has been used since the protests in 1949.

Protestors fled the scene and one protestor was taken to the emergency room because of the gas. After the smoke cleared, people returned to the square, some stoning police, who again resorted to tear gas, Morgunbladid reports.

At 3 am the group of protestors had dispersed, some spray-painted Stjórnarrádid, the government offices, red, while others regrouped in front of the Althingi parliament building. Police remained on the scene, calling for reserves.

Earlier in the day, a group of people mobbed Prime Minister Geir H. Haarde while he sat in his car outside the government offices, egging the vehicle and demanding immediate elections.

The PM needed police assistance to drive out of the parking lot, admitting to Fréttabladid that he had been taken aback by the people’s behavior.

Iceland lost its cherry. Don't know what will happen next. But propably my job will be eliminated soon. The end of a short dream lasting about 10 years.

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2009 at 18:47

You guys have a tourist industry?

Iceland has been one of the top places I've wanted to visit, but I scrubbed the idea because I figured it wasn't really equipped to handle tourism. I pictured it as too insular and figured there would be nothing much to do. 

Sounds like you guys need the business, too. Tourism might be the way to go, if you can find some way to avoid the more negative effects. 

Is it just me, or are colder destinations becoming more popular? We've had a boom in tourism in Newfoundland and they actually seem to be trying to market a forbidding climate as a plus on the television ads.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456