Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need a history project topic linking to Canada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Joke Magician View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Joke Magician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a history project topic linking to Canada
    Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 13:38
I'm doing the Historica fair (histori.ca) and i need a topic for the project.
it has to deal with canada or canadian history. should be interesting!
Thx alot, cheers
add me on msn (poop_smither@hotmail.com)
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 14:12
I would deal with French colonization. See Wikipedia articles:
Another interesting topic in my viewpoint would be Basque exploration and whaling but there is much less info online, I fear.

Finally you can deal with topics as the Viking exploration, the Hudson Bay Co., and many others regarding Native American history and/or the British colonial period.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 12:58
The Hudson Bay Company was most of Canada for a couple of centuries, there's a lot of interesting history about it.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 21:06
Hi,
I definitly agree on the Hudson Bay Co. great topic and great books as on
many chartred companies.
Bye.
I am a free donkey!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 12:27
Yes, even I agre on Hudson Bay Company. It sold the land back to the government in 1860, wasn't it so? And it was founded in 1660?
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 18:08

You might want to try about FLQ (Front de Liberation de Quebec) and October Crisis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLQ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_crisis

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Cunctator View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Cunctator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 17:26
The idea of a paper on the Basque "presence" in the 15th century, or earlier, might be very interesting. The story of the woman who spent years hunting down the records of the Basque whaling and fishing off of Newfoundland, and eventually found them, might really grab you. I have always thought she is the model of an explorer, but of the past. I do not know the whole story, but I believe her work forced the government -- which had originally rejected her ideas -- to acknowledge the Basque history here.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 15:59
Ah, there are so many things. You could do the War of 1812, you could do the colonization by the French, you could do the Vikings at L'Anse aux Meadows, you could do Dieppe or Vimy, or Jonh Cabot's explorations, or even the war between the Hurons and Iroquois. So many things, at the macro level, and even plenty of opportunity at the micro level - things like, say, the history of Fort Louisburg, or the Rideau Canal.

I'm not sure about the context of your presentation - if it's academic I might go for something done less often (eg perhaps something to do with the natives, or something at a micro level like the history of a particular site or area, or something like the history of the United Empire Loyalists - when they came over, where they settled, how they lived, why they left, why they were loyalists, etc). If it's for the general public I'd go with something familiar or exciting, perhaps something like Vimy or Laura Secord.
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 17:55
Hockey baby...

Hockey is Canada...
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 20:27
Originally posted by Cunctator

The idea of a paper on the Basque "presence" in the 15th century, or earlier, might be very interesting. The story of the woman who spent years hunting down the records of the Basque whaling and fishing off of Newfoundland, and eventually found them, might really grab you. I have always thought she is the model of an explorer, but of the past. I do not know the whole story, but I believe her work forced the government -- which had originally rejected her ideas -- to acknowledge the Basque history here.

Do you have links? I am interested.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Cunctator View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Cunctator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 21:06

Maju,

No web links. On Canadian TV, there are often short pieces about Canadian history. I remember watching one about this woman several years ago.

She worked on her own in the archives at Segovia, found records of a particular year in which the Basques lost a ship supposedly in Newfoundland waters, and convinced the federal government to conduct an underwater archeological expedition in a bay somewhere in Newfoundland. To her delight, they discovered the wreck -- confirming her thesis that the Basques had been in the Americas before Columbus -- and then went on to excavate a small settlement along the shore of the bay.

If I come across her name, I will forward it to you.

Post Reply Post Reply