Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Snow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The Guardian View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Guardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snow
    Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 15:16
Orhan Pamuk's new book.  Has anyone read it?What do you think?
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
                             &nb
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 18:46
Are you sure it is new?
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 16:05
Haven't read it
Drunt Ba'adur View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Drunt Ba'adur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 08:37
It is not new (year 2001)

The new one is İstanbul: Hatıralar ve Şehir
Kilikya View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kilikya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 05:47
It's new in English though reading it you can feel it's old. 
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 16:15
Great author, Pamuk! A few years ago, I read and thoroughly enjoyed his book entitled 'My Name is Red'.
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 03:40
Just finished Snow, in English, a little while ago.

It was an amazing book that really spoke to me on two levels: one,  as a student of the Middle East, Islam and religion in general

and two, as a cerebral introvert (I felt empathy for the main character, Ka, who is equally cerebral and introverted, and fairly depressed).

I'd love to hear what Turks have to say about this book. Is it complete fiction, is it a thoughful portrayal of 1990s Turkey... is it great or is it garbage?  What are your opinions ... ?
Kilikya View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kilikya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 02:05

I am not a Turk but will speak for them.  In fact- havent met a Turk who read Snow, except my wife to whom I passed it along.

While a lot of the juxtopositions are hauntingly accurate-- the suicide girls for example illustrates not only a true phenomena but the herd mentality so common here-- Turkey, as a 'fast moving' country has gone beyond a lot of the police state feeling that is present in Kars.  I would say that the main characters -- Blue, Kadife, the father, the actors, the kemalists, the religious students all represent clear parties in Turkey today.  For example- our university is overrun by these ex-religious school students whose rthetoric matches quite closely the fictional version he creates. But, this stuff is largely invisible at first glance.

Sorry, not so coherent, but I  gotta class.

Post Reply Post Reply