Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Naming Greek royalty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Naming Greek royalty
    Posted: 22-Jan-2006 at 12:50

I've been reading on pre-classical Greece lately, and I've come across something I knew about before, but only now have become interested in: the word that Greeks used for 'king'. For Homer, the word is Wanax, but for everyone else it is Basileos. Can anyone telol me if there is a more significance in these two words besides the fact that they're formed from letters combined in a different manner?

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 07:12
Ok, Basilieus didnt mean king orginally, but a cheiftan or an authority, with wanax being the king or the highest authority

then i went and looked it up and learnt some more

basilieus
"The etymology of "basileus" is unclear. The Mycenaean form was gwasileus (qa-si-re-u), denoting some sort of court official or local "boss", but not an actual king. Most linguists assume that it is a non-Greek word that was adopted by Bronze Age Greeks from a preexisting linguistic substrate of the Eastern Mediterranean. Schindler (1976) argues for an inner-Greek innovation of the -eus inflection type from Indo-European material rather than a "Mediterranean" loan."

"Original senses encountered on clay tablets

The first written instance of this word is found on the baked clay tablets discovered in excavations of Mycenaean palaces originally destroyed by fire. The tablets are dated from the 15th century BC to the 11th century BC. They were inscribed with the Linear B script, which was deciphered by Michael Ventris in 1952 and corresponds to a very early form of Greek.

The word "basileus" is written as "qa-si-re-u" and its original meaning was "chieftain" (in one particular tablet the chieftain of the guild of bronzesmiths is referred to as "qa-si-re-u"). Its meaning later evolved to "king", as is attested in the works of Homer. The word can be contrasted with wanax, another word used for "king" and usually meaning "High King" or "overlord". The title "basileus" was used throughout the Greek-speaking world to signify the person and office of king, either in reality or when recounting Greek mythology"

Wanax became anax  and seems to be IE.  during the greek dark ages it lost its use from 'basilieus' and was only used in refering to stuff in the past , hero's and  gods. Basilieus went on to be used as the title up until the end of the East roman empire.

Post Reply Post Reply