Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origin of etymology of countries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origin of etymology of countries
    Posted: 02-Mar-2012 at 01:45
Originally posted by medenaywe

produces corn in big quantities?

Ottoman used the name Mısır for corn becaue of the first plantations in the empire build in Egypt(Turkish Mısır)

Originally posted by medenaywe

Tell me about some native domestic bird in Egypt&Turkey you have used for food before this one? 

Quail & Common Starling are eaten native birds in Turkey

The most well known bird as "Mısır bird" in Turkey is a kind of pegion but I don't think it is that you looking for.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_Swift

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2012 at 02:03
In Bulgarian there is this word "misirka" but I think it's about a type of a hen.
OTOH, this is what google gave me for "misirka", is that a hen?:
http://www.coolinarika.com/repository/images/_variations/6/f/6ff0b16658dacdc605d0aeae763bf088_view_l.jpg

Edited by Don Quixote - 02-Mar-2012 at 02:04
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2012 at 02:29
^^ this bird looks like partridge, but if misirka in Bulgarian means turkey bird, then it's very much possible that Bulgarians were thinking that this bird comes from Egypt, like French and Turks were thinking it is from India and British were thinking it is from Turkey.

Edited by oxydracae - 02-Mar-2012 at 02:29
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2012 at 02:35
What a geographical mess!LOL
I don't think it meant "turkey", but a hen, like there is this Bulgarian saying that means roughly something like "You are lollygagging around like a misirka hen". Whatever the bird is, it's most probable that the Bulgarian thought it came from Egypt, since in Bulgarian there isn't such a word - "misir". It probably came from Arabic via Turkish, in the time when Bulgaria was a part of the Ottoman Empire. There are quite a few Turkish words in Bulgarian, and some of them may as well be Arabic, but I can't recognize them because I don't use Arabic, most lamentablyCry.

Edited by Don Quixote - 02-Mar-2012 at 02:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567