Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with a sci-fi novel passage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scifi_guru View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote scifi_guru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with a sci-fi novel passage
    Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 14:56

Hi,

I am piecing together a story that's set on this planet that has a fantasy backdrop similar to medieval Europe - strange, but true!

I was going to post a link to a passage, but would that be considered "spam"? I'd like to know if there's a non-alcoholic drink that was popular with food in medieval times?

Thanks for any thoughts.

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 15:29
Someone else just asked me that same question a few days ago. Well, here's a website showing all the non-alcoholic beverages of the middle ages. It's a start for your research. Hope it helps! Good luck!

http://forgottensea.org/medievalbrewers/noalcohol.html

Also, there was "mulled wine" which dates back to medieval times, when it was considered to be a very healthy beverage. The word "mulled" simply means heated and spiced.

Edited by morticia
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
scifi_guru View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote scifi_guru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 15:51

Thanks very much, that's a superb page!

All the very best wishes,

tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 07:38
In ancient and medieval times alcoholic drinks were preferred because they were antiseptic and thus didn't contain the many waterborn diseases, parasites etc...  Fresh milk was too valuable to drink and, in many places, unboiled water was simply too dangerous to drink.

Most people in Western Europe drunk 'small beer' or similar.  This was just a weak beer (no added source od sugar and no secondary fewrmentation) but the boiling, fermentation etc killed the bacteria and parasites.  In the Mediterranian regions wine and water (cheap local wines that were heavy and resinous mixed with water) or 'vinegar' (sour wine mixed with water) were drunk.

Historical records show very high consumption of alcoholic drinks throughout the period..
rgds.

Tom..
 Post Reply Post Reply