Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rain rituals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
visitor View Drop Down
  Quote visitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rain rituals
    Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 08:21

As I visited this forum I got a lot of knowlegde and suprised how ancient people are in a culturel interaction.My question is about rain rituel.In Turkish mythology there is a stone defined and it is said to be used for making wheather rain.Shamans and rulers believed to have that kind of  stones and can make wheather rain.I wonder if we are sharing the same myths that kind of with other asian nations or do we share the same rituel with native indians of north america?Because it is said that they used to dance for rain?And is there a relation between shamanism and rain rituel?If there is a relation between them why?

morticia View Drop Down
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 15:16

I am having problems login in today. Will try another way.

Morty

Edited by Guest
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 10:40
Originally posted by visitor

As I visited this forum I got a lot of knowlegde and suprised how ancient people are in a culturel interaction.My question is about rain rituel.In Turkish mythology there is a stone defined and it is said to be used for making wheather rain.Shamans and rulers believed to have that kind of  stones and can make wheather rain.I wonder if we are sharing the same myths that kind of with other asian nations or do we share the same rituel with native indians of north america?Because it is said that they used to dance for rain?And is there a relation between shamanism and rain rituel?If there is a relation between them why?

Its a relation between shamanism, by the case of Turks -where also shamanist before Islam and used the Half moon and star as holy before Islam (recent found Gk Trk coins in Uzbekistan shows that).

Turks still do some shamanist rituels like hangin something on three's to wish something, the blue thing like an eye that every tourist buy in Turkey ("nazar boncuk") has something todo with shamanism, like youve said rain rituels, etc etc. 

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2012 at 08:51
Very interesting suggestion. I must go away and do some reading on it
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2012 at 15:07
Originally posted by visitor

In Bulgaria there is this rain ritual, Peperuda, about which I wroteseveral posts  on this thread http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31330&PID=668216#668216  . The ritual is Slavic pagan pre-Christian one, /later became partially absorbed by Christianity/, and in some variation of it a clay doll is made, and buried as a part of the ritual, and it's supposed to bring rain.

As for a connection with Shamanism, I have to check on that, but it would make sense. People in traditional societies and agricultural economy, living on the edge of survival were extremely dependent on weather, and hence would devise ways to try to influence it in some way. By definition all rituals that aim at changing something by means of rituals of some kind are using "magic"; even praying in Christianity and lighting candles in Orthodox Christianity /candle is a sacrifice/ fall in this category. A shaman is a person who is believed to know the magic rituals that would allow his/her to change things in nature of in human activity. Therefore, rain rituals can be seen as shamanism.

In the Slavic one I related the rain ritual is done not by a a shaman though, but by a young  girl that fits certain requirements, and women and other people in the village are also participating in some way. Also it has been known in time of drought the Orthodox priest of the village to say a prayer for rain, followed by the whole village - which is basically using Christianity in lieu of Shamanism.

Edited by Don Quixote - 16-May-2012 at 15:12
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2012 at 19:31
The Turks and Indians might share some of the same distant ancestors. Perhaps this was an ancient tradition continued after the Indians crossed the ice bridge to America?
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2012 at 20:04
I think that it's a common reaction to the same problem - no rain, no food, no life; people want to live, so they come up with things to make them feel more in control of life. All argicultural cultures everywhere are bound to experience the same problems and to try to solve it in a similar way.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2012 at 20:44
Other cultures went to more drastic lengths: the Aztecs ripped the hearts out of prisoners to appease their gods and the Molech cult burned children in furnaces. Perhaps of these savage practises originated as a response to famine or disease?
Snafu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2012 at 12:45
Yeah, weather magic was a part of Turkic and Mongolian shamanism. They called the weather-making stone a yada stone. And those who knew how to use them were called yadachis. In the Secret History of the Mongols one of Genghis Khan's enemies uses weather magic to whip up a snowstorm. If you can find a copy, there's a book about the subject called "Weather Magic in Inner Asia" by Adam Molnar. 

Edited by Snafu - 28-May-2012 at 12:48
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 17:09
Thank you for the info, Snafu, I'll look for it.Smile
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2012 at 01:12
Modern Turks known it as "yada taşı" (yada stone)

According to Dastan(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dastan) of Migration ("Göç Destanı");

Han(King) of the Uyghurs wants to marry with Chinese princess. However Chinese side wants "Kutlu Dağ"(name of a stone) as a gift. Han accepts this offer. Chinese people come to the Uyghur land and prepare a great fire near the stone. Stone is crack and get into small pieces. After that Chinese people start to take away all piece. When the last piece left the land of uyghur, Uyghur lands start to be desert and winds begin to say "migrate, migrate". Then Uyghurs have to leave thier homeland.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also found some interesting information in forums. Rain rituals were used as a gun tool against Ottoman by Russian

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Snafu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2012 at 22:07
Yes. The Turks kept the ritual alive for centuries. There may still be yadachis to this day in some places.

In China there was also "Thunder magic", which was part of Taoism.

Edited by Snafu - 03-Jun-2012 at 22:09
 Post Reply Post Reply