Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas Basil II of Byzantium Evil?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was Basil II of Byzantium Evil?
    Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 07:57
Originally posted by rider

I believe that history and the modern world (at least the most of it) sides with Byzantium in this because it was the civilization. For most, Bulgaria was nothing but ruthless savage barbars. And mostly, 'crimes of war' are allowed against barbars.

I hope you are not serious.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 08:36
Originally posted by Anton

I believe that history and the modern world (at least the most of it) sides with Byzantium in this because it was the civilization. For most, Bulgaria was nothing but ruthless savage barbars. And mostly, 'crimes of war' are allowed against barbars.

What, you disagree? I am fairly confident many people, easily can be said most of the people, see it as I have said. I didn't say I see it so... but many people do.

There was no serious civilization or culture in the West then... the two major powers were the Arabs and Byzantium. For the western people, Byzantium will always be closer than the Arabs. One could obviously argue and add China, Maya and whatever other places into the discussion but... the medium person will reason as I have written here, most probably.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 08:44
I thought we were taking about Basil? After his reign things went downhill and Byzantium became sidelined from the emergence of Western Europe. The place could have been saved but no Western power would support them for they wasted all their opportunities. 
elenos
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 09:10
Originally posted by elenos

I thought we were taking about Basil? After his reign things went downhill and Byzantium became sidelined from the emergence of Western Europe. The place could have been saved but no Western power would support them for they wasted all their opportunities. 

What I have noticed is that, every good topic that has a good discussion, is offtopic. Wink
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 09:43
I didn't say off topic. It is good to get away from all that stuff about the naming of streets. What I meant is to put the achievements of Basil alongside what else happened to Byzantium doesn't hold up somehow.
elenos
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 10:55

I also hope that you are not serious.Bulgarians were not that barbaric.In fact bulgarians were probably more civilized than most of europeans.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 11:17
Originally posted by Krum

I also hope that you are not serious.Bulgarians were not that barbaric.In fact bulgarians were probably more civilized than most of europeans.

How do you know? In those times it was difficult for civilized europeans to survive . Smile  
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 11:48
I think that what rider means is that most modern day historians will look back on Byzantium as the more urban and settled civilisation. Byzantium had the longer tradition of literary brilliance, was the centre of Orthodoxy and was the repository of so much of the classical knowledge which was lost in the West.

Plus, the winners write history. The Byzantine Empire won the war and destroyed the First Bulgarian Empire. For this reason as well, historians may look favourably on Byzantium.

Edit: thanks for the correction, Anton, it was the First Bulgarian Empire.

Edited by Constantine XI - 10-Jul-2007 at 12:25
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 11:55

Originally posted by akritas

So why the Roman-slayer  must focus to the Greeks ?

Why not? I know a Greek guy who translated "Romans" as "Greeks" in the Skanderbeg's seal Wink
ΡΩΜΑΙΟΙ (Rum) is the word in the Scancdeberg shield and not Roman !!!!
Is tottaly diffrent the latin derivation fron the Greek one. Dont confused these terms how many times must I told you!!!
Is like to say you that are not Hellenas but GreekLOL
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 12:10
Originally posted by Constantine XI

The Byzantine Empire won the war and destroyed the Second Bulgarian Empire.

First Bulgarian empire
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 12:14
Originally posted by akritas

ΡΩΜΑΙΟΙ (Rum) is the word in the Scancdeberg shield and not Roman !!!!
Is tottaly diffrent the latin derivation fron the Greek one. Dont confused these terms how many times must I told you!!!
Is like to say you that are not Hellenas but GreekLOL

Romaioiktonos was the name Kaloyan chosed for himself.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 13:14

I think that what rider means is that most modern day historians will look back on Byzantium as the more urban and settled civilisation. Byzantium had the longer tradition of literary brilliance, was the centre of Orthodoxy and was the repository of so much of the classical knowledge which was lost in the West.

Plus, the winners write history. The Byzantine Empire won the war and destroyed the First Bulgarian Empire. For this reason as well, historians may look favourably on Byzantium.

Exactly. Thanks for clearing it up...

Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 15:13

I am serious. I am not a linguist but the Latin script is much more beautiful. I suppose that if we transliterate it with the Latin script we also pronounce it like it was a Latin name?
I thought you might be joking because you had many ... ... in your post and also  made it look like a fact that Greeks dropped "B".
Re beautiful: well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but keep in mind that more than half of letters (capitall letters)  in the Latin and Greek script are identical; some of them correspond to a different sound though.
Depending on the script you use, you are bound to pronounce names differently.
ChickenShoes View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 21:24
Originally posted by Genghis

I don't think that's evil given the standards of the time, and one of my Greek friends who is the proudest Greek on Earth told me that at least from other Greek people he's met, Basil is admired in Greece for bringing Byzantium to its greatest extent since the fall of the Near East to the Arabs. 

What do you all think?

Maybe not evil, everything at that time was evil in my opinion...such wanton brutality. But youur friend seems like a nationalist and proud that an emperor of the past forged such a great empire. However, creating a huge and grand empire does not give you mandate to maim and kill without regard to anyone.
It is not enough that I succeed - everyone else must fail
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 02:07

Still, if history (if we look back and say that this crime, or that crime was alright) allows crimes against people, then perhaps we as a society should reexamine our morals.

I do see your point, though, and I do understand that in the development in human civilization, sometimes one people is more valued than another, but in this case, I think a lot of people simply don't know that much about Bulgaria.  For example, though the first University was in the Byzantine Empire, the second and third universities (all three were built in the 10th century, I think) were built in Bulgaria.

Of course, they were probably built because of Byzantine influence, to elevate Bulgarian culture to a degree equal to that of Byzantine culture.  But this in itself tells you that Bulgarians weren't barbarians at that point in time.  Besides, Bulgaria (Danubian) had existed as a nation with defined borders for more than three centuries at that point.   Nations that are settled like that are usually hardly barbaric.

Edited by Kubrat - 12-Jul-2007 at 02:08
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 03:02
Kubrat, that might tell me that, but who will tell the billion other people who think that Byzantium was the civilization and had to do anything in order to defend itself?
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 04:28
Originally posted by Kubrat

Still, if history (if we look back and say that this crime, or that crime was alright) allows crimes against people, then perhaps we as a society should reexamine our morals.

I do see your point, though, and I do understand that in the development in human civilization, sometimes one people is more valued than another, but in this case, I think a lot of people simply don't know that much about Bulgaria.  For example, though the first University was in the Byzantine Empire, the second and third universities (all three were built in the 10th century, I think) were built in Bulgaria.

Of course, they were probably built because of Byzantine influence, to elevate Bulgarian culture to a degree equal to that of Byzantine culture.  But this in itself tells you that Bulgarians weren't barbarians at that point in time.  Besides, Bulgaria (Danubian) had existed as a nation with defined borders for more than three centuries at that point.   Nations that are settled like that are usually hardly barbaric.

I think that what you have said is quite true. Most people do not know much about Bulgaria. Infact, most people do not know much about Byzantium either, but they usually know a little more about Byzantium than the First Bulgarian Empire.

People also probably look at Bulgaria and judge it by how they see it in modern times. Even though Bulgaria was at times a major east European power, today it is one of a number of Balkan nations which is considered underdeveloped and still emerging from a history of Ottoman and Soviet domination.

Bulgaria was largely cut off from Western Europe, perhaps with the exception of a few exchanges between the Tsar and the Pope. When Liutprand of Cremona visited Constantinople, he criticised the Bulgarians for the style with which they wore their hair and did call it a "barbarian style". Bulgaria did not fit into the Hellenic category of Byzantium, nor did it fit into the customs and history of Catholic Europe. At times the "Christianess" of the Bulgarians was questionable to Western eyes, because of the tendency of the Bulgarian aristocracy to love old paganism. Bulgaria was a new nation and only very recently Christian.

So for these sorts of reasons also i think historians tend to see Byzantium as more closely related.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 07:40

At times the "Christianess" of the Bulgarians was questionable to Western eyes, because of the tendency of the Bulgarian aristocracy to love old paganism. Bulgaria was a new nation and only very recently Christian.

This paganism was in fact Bogomilism and other dualistic herecies which many people considered (and still consider) to be more close to initial Christianity. These herecies are still alive and are still disliked by official Orthodox and Catolic churches.

Bulgaria was largely cut off from Western Europe, perhaps with the exception of a few exchanges between the Tsar and the Pope.

That's a huuuuuge underestimation. First and Second Bulgarian Empires were in constant contacts with Rome, Frank Empire, Hungary and other European states; there was extensive trade (and alliences and wars too) between Dobrujan despotate and Venecia and Genoese; Bogomils and Cathars contacted for centuries (you probably know that Cathars were frequently called Bulgars in Western Europe), there was a Catholic Church in Bulgaria all the time; etc. etc.  
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 08:00

Bulgaria was a new nation..

I bet you will have difficulties in finding "a nation" in multiethnical mulicultural Byzantine Empire.  

...and only very recently Christian.

This is also questionable. Sources suggests that many Bulgars were Christians since Vitalian time. According to archeological data churches were constantly built in Bulgarian territory since Constantine the Great time and it was not stoped during 681-865 when Bulgaria as it is supposed by most historians was pagan.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 10:34

That's a huuuuuge underestimation. First and Second Bulgarian Empires were in constant contacts with Rome, Frank Empire, Hungary and other European states; there was extensive trade (and alliences and wars too) between Dobrujan despotate and Venecia and Genoese; Bogomils and Cathars contacted for centuries (you probably know that Cathars were frequently called Bulgars in Western Europe), there was a Catholic Church in Bulgaria all the time; etc. etc. 

But Bulgaria was never a big player in Western politics, trade or religion. Their ability to actually exert influence on the West was pretty limited, more limited than the Byzantine Empire. As a result, Bulgaria was still a far away and obscure kingdom from the point of view of many of the Catholic powers compared to a place like Britain, Italy, Spain or Germany.

This is also questionable. Sources suggests that many Bulgars were Christians since Vitalian time. According to archeological data churches were constantly built in Bulgarian territory since Constantine the Great time and it was not stoped during 681-865 when Bulgaria as it is supposed by most historians was pagan.

Wasn't there a Tsar who still quite late into the First Bulgarian Empire had to come back out of retirement in his monastary to punish the Bulgarian nobles who had reverted from Christianity back to paganism? Christianity had certainly existed in Bulgarian lands from Roman times, but it was not until much later that the Bulgarian monarchy and nobles could be considered Christian rather than pagan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>