Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas Basil II of Byzantium Evil?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was Basil II of Byzantium Evil?
    Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 15:51

I was reading a book recently (the Evil 100) which ranked Basil II of Byzantium from 976 to 1025 as the 8th most evil person in history because of what he did to Bulgar prisoners after the Battle of Kleidion where he blinded 99 out of every 100 men and left the 100th with one eye to lead them back to their Tsar who apparently had a heart attack and died upon seeing such a grotesque sight.  This and other incidents earned him the name bulgaroktonos meaning bulgar-slayer.

I don't think that's evil given the standards of the time, and one of my Greek friends who is the proudest Greek on Earth told me that at least from other Greek people he's met, Basil is admired in Greece for bringing Byzantium to its greatest extent since the fall of the Near East to the Arabs. 

What do you all think?

Member of IAEA
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 16:09

I personally don't think the man was evil, we have to entertain the possibility that the numbers of Bulgars blinded may well be exaggerated, it seems rather time consuming to go around blinding thousands of people just to make a point. I'd of thought defeating them in battle was enough, there must be some truth to it but I find it hard to believe its entirely accurate.

Even if it is all true, I don't think the Bulgars were in any position to get upon their moral high horse, as if they hadnt for centuries raided and invaded Byzantine territory, sacking cities, raping women and burning things to the ground. Just like pretty much everybody was doing in this period, as soon as Byzantium gets the upper hand and puts the Bulgars in their place its suddenly evil.

As a point of interest, you could easily argue Genghis Khan was one of the most evil men in history, but it clearly hasnt dulled your admiration for the man nor has it the respect he has from many other people, despite the enormous evils that were commited by him or in his name. I don't see people bringing up Genghis Khans great evils very often, tending more to focus on his achievements, I think Basil II should be given the same courtesy, considering his achievements were massive.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 16:51

Yeah i dont think Basil is evil.His achievements are far greater than that.And numbers are probably much lesser than mentioned.Probably Basil didnt even deserved to be among the first 100 evil guyes.

Its seems that Basil has the "luck" to be one of the great leaders who were misjudged and shadowed by some minor things they did.No matter of that he still is of my favorite emperors.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 17:02

I have immense admiration for Basil II. I think he is your ultimate state servant, a man who tirelessly devoted his mind, body and soul to doing whatever he could to secure the welfare of his state. What's more, he spent half a century doing it.

But the question I think that is really being asked is, was Basil II personally evil? I would say the answer is no. Basil was a man who lacked alot of charm, inspite of some adolscent playing around he went through his entire actual reign without ever taking a wife or mistress, or a young man for that matter. He was not a brilliant speaker, though his words carried a natural authority. He seems not to have had any close companions, not to have revelled in the joy or frivolity of the circus or trivial amusements. All this, however, made him simply an austere and self disciplined individual. That does not make him evil. He might not be the sort of bloke you want to do a round of the taverns with, but he wasn't a pathological sadist or psychopath.

So after examining his lonely and sad personal life we are left with his actions. IMHO his actions display that Basil was Machiavellian (that gets the circulation going eh, Genghis) with his cruelty. He used it only so far as it furthered the greater good. For instance, the blinding of those Bulgarians probably was necessary. Bulgaria had been a determined foe of Byzantium for several hundred years and a psychological blow needed to be struck to truly demoralise them. Bulgaria was not out of steam, she fought on for another four years until 1018, but I believe Basil's cruelty really took the wind out of their sails.

Interestingly, once Basil had actually obtained the surrender and submission of the Bulgarians he was quite fair and reasonable. There were no more killings, no more mutilations. He did not even demand the Bulgars to pay their taxes in cash, but allowed them to pay in finished products as he knew the war had been hard on them. He energetically set about protecting his new Bulgar subjects from Danubian raiders and on the whole was a pretty good ruler. Hardly the behaviour of a man who was a sadist or wantonly evil.

By conquering Bulgaria, Basil greatly enhanced the ability of Byzantium to protect herself. His total conquest ensured that, in the longer run, tens of thousands more lives would be saved. He put an end to the incessant border raids, pillaging and all out wars.

Basil did what he did because he was concerned with the greater good and nothing else. He protected widows, energetically defended the empire from her numerous aggressors and even ensured that the children of his soldiers slain in battle were taken under the care and protection of the state. He was attentive, pragmatic, energetic and not squeemish about doing what was necessary to ensure the welfare of his state. I rank him as one of my all time favourite leaders and managers.

And your Greek friend is correct, Basil's good governance did usher in a golden age for the Byzantine Empire. The 11th century of Byzantium was, in my opinion, the most productive part of of Western civilization between the 6th century and the Renaissance. This prosperity and advancement owes more to Basil II than any other ruler.

Edited by Constantine XI
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 17:21

As must always be pointed out when discussing Basil II is the tragedy of him leaving no suitable heir having no children of his own, thus leaving all of achievements in the hands of lesser men.

Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 23:54

Now wait wait..... please

From what I am reading it seems the fact that the thousands of Bugarian army prisoners of war - 1 for every 100 had only one eye be torn away where the Rest were fully blined and then sent back to show how he -- well powerful he is to the Bulgarian tsar of the time. Once tsar Samuil saw them he was struck by a heart attack.(considering the sight, it is not that surprising) Now mind you that this is a sick act considering the army consisted of around 10 thousand I believe.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 00:07
Originally posted by Thracian

Now wait wait..... please

From what I am reading it seems the fact that the thousands of Bugarian army prisoners of war - 1 for every 100 had only one eye be torn away where the Rest were fully blined and then sent back to show how he -- well powerful he is to the Bulgarian tsar of the time. Once tsar Samuil saw them he was struck by a heart attack.(considering the sight, it is not that surprising) Now mind you that this is a sick act considering the army consisted of around 10 thousand I believe.

Most accept the figure as higher, either 14,000 to 15,000 men. The act itself was brutal, that is true. I think one of the reasons it was actually recorded is not so much because it was brutual by the standards of the time, but because it was unusual and rather interesting. More common in medieval days would be to ransom the enemy for a huge sum (not practical given the penury of the Bulgars) or to simply kill them outright. Killing them outright is as bad as blinding them, had Basil just been conventional and slaghtered them at the end of the battle he would not have been made so infamous. The course of action Basil pursued was not especially cruel by the standards of the time, only unusual enough to make it especially famous. The cruelty was not wanton or ineffectual either, it had the desired result of dealing the Bulgars a shattering psychological blow.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 09:22

Are the sources of the time trustworthy do you know? I only question this kind of thing because as everybody should know sources can be way off target especially when it comes to numbers.

I don't doubt something happened, but on this scale? it wouldnt change my view on Basil II but i'm curious that he'd actually take the time to blind so many men. Though I can fully understand the impact on morale such a demonstration of cruelty can have on an already demoralised people, something like "don't mess with the Basileus" .

A man like Basil who did everything for the empire though, its hardly suprising he would go to any lengths to ensure he got the best for his people, regardless of how cruel or twisted it may seem.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 15:28
Nothing to add to Heraclius' and Constantine's wonderfully eloquent defense of the great man. I'm sure after that any court in the world would acquit Basil from any accusations.

But some other question cropped up in my mind. I naturally don't know the book, Genghis was quoting, and what factors it applied to compile the rankings.
We have probably discussed that a few times along similar lines, as in the Genghis and Hitler thread, but the question must arise, if one can actually judge various historical figures with the same criteria, or does one have indeed to apply very different ones.
Can somebody like Basil II, from the 10th and 11th century, and his deeds be compared with a historical figure from the 20th century, who might have committed similar atrocities as the East-roman Emperor?
Can the same criteria for an ethical judgment be used for very different ages and their very different moral values?
Or is there indeed something like a cut-off point in the history, from where the same excuses can not be brought forward anymore. Made for example, the enlightenment project all the difference? Could before the enlightenment the mass slaughter of entire civilian populations by the various Early Medieval conquerors be comprehended or excused with the blessed ignorance of enduring moral values or human rights at the time, but can similar undertakings in the 20th centuries not be apologized anymore and not be explained other than by a sheer barbarism that defies any progress made by human civilization ?
Or in other words, what finer legal points had Heraclius and Constantine to come up with to get him off, had Basil lived through the 19th ,20th century Balkan wars. And had he risen in the rankings if he had been born later?

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 17:04

No, nothing that I have read about him makes him seem evil or Satanic.  As a medieval absolutist ruler, and a brilliant military man, he knew that impact that violence and displays of force could have on the enemies of Byzantium.  So in this way he was not much different than other similarly ruthless sovereigns in his day.

What I have read is that he was particularly pious as a matter of fact (keep in mind that this was his personal life and the affairs of the state).  He observed all the rules and regulations of Orthodoxy to the utmost and actually remained celibate for his reign as emperor if not for life.  I think he actually contemplated retiring early in order to become a monk.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 22:53

Originally posted by Komnenos

Nothing to add to Heraclius' and Constantine's wonderfully eloquent defense of the great man. I'm sure after that any court in the world would acquit Basil from any accusations.

But some other question cropped up in my mind. I naturally don't know the book, Genghis was quoting, and what factors it applied to compile the rankings.
We have probably discussed that a few times along similar lines, as in the Genghis and Hitler thread, but the question must arise, if one can actually judge various historical figures with the same criteria, or does one have indeed to apply very different ones.
Can somebody like Basil II, from the 10th and 11th century, and his deeds be compared with a historical figure from the 20th century, who might have committed similar atrocities as the East-roman Emperor?

Well work is a bore, so first of all my thanks to Komnenos for giving me something stimulating. To answer this segment of the question, I believe that humanity is a work in progress whose ethics cannot be judged from the "modern" standard alone. Nor can it be judged from "our" cultural standard alone. In assessing the cruelty of our long time basileios, we must recognise that he lived in an age of Western history probably more violent than any other. It was a cultural and political norm of the times that a conqueror could dispose of his enemies in whatever manner seemed fitting to him, such were the rules of the game in a world which preceeded the UN, Geneva or the stability which came with the statist reconstruction after the Westphalian agreement. In such a world, mass killing (especially of combatants) was an effective means by which to discourage enemy attacks. Failure to make a proper example of one's enemies almost invited further enemy aggression, whereas today building up an aura of personal dread does not have the same value. The mass killing of enemies had different effects and served different purposes to that of the 20th century. Had Basil been unsuccessful he would have expected similar treatment at the hands of the Bulgars. They would have descended into the Balkan possessions, massacred, raping and pillagin at will. It is doubtful that had the Byzantine army under Nicephorus I at Pliska been given the chance to surrender that the Bulgars would have accepted their capitulation or treated them well. Both you and I know all too well what became of Nicephorus himself. Essentially Basil II was playing by the "rules of the game" as they pertained to the Balkans in the Dark Ages. Basil's cruelty took an unsual form, but the amount of cruelty which he employed was nothing unusual in his context. I think that Genghis and Hitler metted out cruelty in a manner and on a scale which was exceptional and unusual for their respective contexts.

Can the same criteria for an ethical judgment be used for very different ages and their very different moral values?
Or is there indeed something like a cut-off point in the history, from where the same excuses can not be brought forward anymore. Made for example, the enlightenment project all the difference? Could before the enlightenment the mass slaughter of entire civilian populations by the various Early Medieval conquerors be comprehended or excused with the blessed ignorance of enduring moral values or human rights at the time, but can similar undertakings in the 20th centuries not be apologized anymore and not be explained other than by a sheer barbarism that defies any progress made by human civilization ?

As human morals and ethics are a work in progress, I believe a number of changes had to occur before we arrived at today's values. The stabalisation of the world into defined states whose governments have proper control over international conflict post-Westphalia naturally raises the standard of ethics for what can occur in war. After that, a ruler must employ diplomacy and good will as well as military power to achieve peace. Byzantium endured incessant raids and attacks by her enemies not controlled by a government body in the uncentralised Dark Ages, consequently building up a reputation of personal dread was a good way of discouraging such attacks.

The enlightenment was another important step in civilising people. It made people more aware of the fact that their actions should be guided by logic and reason. In Basil's context, nearly 700 years of history recognised that he was the vice gerent of God. Other European rulers also believed themself to be the elect of God. After the enlightenment people had a firm basis to make their decisions on logic and reason, in Basil's time the ultimate authority rested with the deity. In an age before science and the enlightenment, we can hardly expect Basil to have adhered to such principles.

As I mentioned the UN and Geneva convention are important sources of benchmarks to decide what is right and wrong. In Basil's time such institutions did not exist so we cannot expect him to abide by them.

Other developments also took place which had the effect of "raising the bar" when it came to ethics in war and conquest. Because Basil had not been influenced by such developments, I consider it unfair that we hold him accountable in the same light as someone like Hitler, who lived in a world where such developments were an established reality. In assessing whether modern figures are guilty according to "our" norms, we must establish the norms of the society they live in and how much we could expect such figures to have been influenced by the "civilizing" developments that I mentioned. Milosevic, for example, may either live in a society with similar norms to ours but be an unusually uncivilized individual. Or he may be a normal man living in a society which we would call "ethically underdeveloped" and "uncivilised" compared to ours. Or we may decide he is a mixture of the two.

Or in other words, what finer legal points had Heraclius and Constantine to come up with to get him off, had Basil lived through the 19th ,20th century Balkan wars. And had he risen in the rankings if he had been born later?

I think my previous paragraphs explain my position on Basil quite well. But I would also add in Basil's defence some key points.

While Genghis and Hitler both killed for pragmatic reasons, they are notorious for going overboard and killing on both a scale and in a manner which was shocking by the standards of the time. Basil's actions were unusual only in manner (it would have been more typical to simply slaughter all the prisoners after the battle). In blinding the prisoners it must have been in the Emperor's mind that Bulgaria had managed to resurrect herself a number of times after being crushed by Byzantium. Constantine V brought the Bulgars to their knees but died before he could finish them off. They subsequently revived and returned to give Byzantium much grief. Basil's immediate predecessor John I had similarly crushed them, but a civil war early in Basil's reign was all it took for the Bulgars to come back stronger than ever. Basil knew he had to deal them a decisive blow from which they could not recover or his successors would more than likely be facing a resurgent Bulgaria once more. The action he took was effective and decisive, Bulgaria was not to trouble Byzantium for two entire centuries until long years of misrule allowed the region to detach itself from Byzantium.

As I said earlier, Basil did not visit unnecessary cruelty or punishment on the non-combatant Bulgars once victory was assured. The blindings deprived Bulgaria of their best fighting men with the eventual result that thousands of deaths due to future raiding and war were averted. The blindings at Kleidion (Cimbalongus) seem to have been an isolated case of cruelty designed to achieve a pragmatic end of finishing a war which had dragged on for nearly four decades. It was not part of a wider policy of human rights violations by Basil.

Those are the reasons I do not consider Basil's actions as bad as those committed by modern war criminals. Basil acted within the norms of his time, was not exposed to today's civilising influences, acted out of pragmatic intentions to improve his nation's welfare and subsequently proved himself to be a wise and considerate ruler once Bulgaria was subdued.

Had he been born later amidst more "civilised" norms we could expect to assess him differently. Today we could expect to judge him much more harshly. Today the avenues for protecting your nation and doing your duty as leader are different, opportunities exist today for Basil to protect his state which did not exist in medieval Bulgaria.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 08:06
  I think Basil is not evil..He is just in his cause for the Empire and the Byzantines need a leader like him during that time. Maybe if he is the emperor during the 1400s, the empire can still survive because of his strong character. For me, He is a strong leader.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 16:07
No he was not evil for the time period.  The reasons why have been explained quite well by other forumers. 
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 08:12

Very good points by Constantine and Heraclius'. I particularly would like to stress the point that this action was recorded and made into a legend because of it being so unusual a punishment.

The Byzantines had a habit of blinding their enemies. In dynastic quarrels 9 out of 10 times, the losing contestant wouldn't be killed on the spot, but just blinded and send to a monastery. They'd blind major offenders (those who didn't by Roman law "deserve" the death penalty - and, mind you, death penalty in Roman terms is a long, extraordinarily painful and agonizing issue) and they'd blind enemy leaders.

Basil was the first to introduce this sentence in a mass scale (for the reasons, read Constantine's post, it outlines them perfectly) instead of just outright killing the prisoners, as was the case usually when ransoming wasn't feasible (or profitable). The western europeans (for instance, the crusaders) when taking POWs always slaughtered the "commoners" and ransomed back the "nobles".

BTW in the muslim world there was a third option (besides ransoming or killing) and that was enslaving: usually the commoners who got caught by Muslims (and a commoner almost never can bring back a decent profit in the form of ransom) would be sold into slavery. Of course the "nobles" would be ransomed and bring a nice profit.

If you wanna play arrogant with me, you better have some very solid facts to back up that arrogance, or I'll tear you to pieces
Red_Lord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 04:33

I have made a clipse of what were you wrote to now and I can't see what do you think is the reason to blind 15 000 men.during the Kliuch battle a bulogarian group succede to strike in back Elite Imperial group where leader was Basill's best friend(and may be his successor.When Basil understood he was very fureous and ordered to blind Bulgarian prisoners.This is the reason(of course not 100%)But basil was realy far-sighted and I think he wouldn blind them if he was not under control of fureousness.                     

Sorry for bad English

"The slave is fighting for freedom,free is fighting for perfectness"
Yane Sandanski
Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 04:45
I think he wasn't really furious or undertook this "in a rage"... I'd rather view it as a calculated terrorizing effort, to bring down the Bulgarian threat to Byzantium once and for all. 
If you wanna play arrogant with me, you better have some very solid facts to back up that arrogance, or I'll tear you to pieces
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2006 at 13:35
No he was not evil. Just hardcore.
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 16:35
But as history had shown ot wasnt forever which means that his goal was actually not achieved. And moreover, as far as I remember when Asenides came to power similar thing they did with byzantine warriors as a sort of revenge which was also very important result for struggle for independence of bulgarians.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 17:18
Here is a miniature depicting the blinding of the Bulgarians.

The deads of Vasil also served as an inspiration for the destruction of  the Bulgarian people in Macedonia during the Balkan wars. Here is a Greek propaganda image in another war with the Bulgarians, this time several centuries later (1910s Balkan wars).

The legacy of Vasil II remains strong still. There are streets in Greece named "Vasil Bulgarslayer".

In my eyes Vasil II was an evil bloodthirsty barbarian, a torturer with a perverted mind, the medieval equivalent of Hitler.

Edited by bg_turk - 23-Jun-2006 at 17:30
Tangra View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 17:53
In my eyes Vasil II was an evil bloodthirsty barbarian, a torturer with a perverted mind, the medieval equivalent of Hitler.
 BG_Turk

I hold the same opinion on that one.

Edited by Tangra - 23-Jun-2006 at 17:54
HUBAVA SI MOYA GORO!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>