Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AE Book club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AE Book club
    Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 11:15
Done yet ??
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2005 at 17:48
Done - there's Roman Blood spilled on all seven hills - and a few other places as well!
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 21:45
Michael savage just came out with his new book:

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 01:26
This looks good!

He is a guest on coast to coast am tonight!

www.coasttocoastam.com
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 02:13
I have been waiting for this one- yippeeee!!!

Byzantine Armies AD 11181461
(Men-at-Arms 287)

Author: Ian Heath
Illustrator: Angus McBride

US Price: $14.95
UK Price: 8.99
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 14:44

I have some suggestions for anyone who enjoys a good read related to history:

Books by Gore Vidal:

- Burr (American history 1776-1835)

- Lincoln (American history 1840-1865)

- Creation (World history and religion 520-450 bc. Emphasis on Persia, Greece, India and China. Characters in the book include Buddha, Confucius, Pythagoras, Socrates, Lao Tzu, Zoroaster, and many other important religious/philosophical figures)

- Julian (the story of a Roman emperor ~ 350AD, who turned his back on Christianity, which had recently become the official state religion)

- Empire and Hollywood (Early 20th century America)

Books by Gary Jennings (theyre kind of formulaic, but theyre real page turners and very well researched):

-          Aztec (Aztec and other pre-Columbian Mexican  civilizations 1480-1523, including their fall to Spanish conquistadors)

-          Raptor (the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the rise of the Ostrogoth king Theodoric. Gothic and Roman civilization 440-510 AD)

-          The Journeyer (the story of Marco Polo and his travels through Asia 1260-1300 AD)

Books by James Clavell

-          Shogun (early 17th century Japan)

-          Noble House (soap opera, big business and espionage in 1960s Hong Kong)

-          Tai Pan (foundation of Hong Kong, and the opium wars in the 1840s China)

-          Gai Jin (1860s Japan, when westerners were allowed to come back in the country)

-          Whirlwind (the Iranian revolution, 1979)

Books by James Michener

-          the Source (history of Israel/Palestine)

-          Iberia (history of Spain)

-          Hawaii

-          Carribean

Gabriel Garcia Marquez 100 years of solitude (imaginary Banana Republic in Latin America)

Stephen Lawhead Byzantium (the pilgrimage of Irish monks to bring the Book of Kells to Byzantium ~800AD)

Wilbur Smith Birds of Prey, Monsoon, Blue Horizon (the saga of an English family of corsairs, merchants and hunters in South and East Africa, 17th and 18th centuries)

Eleanor Cooney and Daniel Altieri - The Court of the Lion. (Tang dynasty China ~730-750AD)

Eleanor Cooney and Daniel Altieri - Deception. (Tang dynasty China ~650-700AD). Theyre both very well researched and real page turners

Dorothy Dunnett -  The House of Niccolo Series (16th century Europe)

Sharon Kay Penman The Sunne in Splendour (Richard the 3rd and 15th century England)

Maurice Druon Les Rois Maudits series (13th and 14th century France)

Henryk Sienkiewicz Quo Vadis (Nero and the early Christians in Rome)

Judith Tarr Pillar of Fire (Akhenaten and Moses, 14th century BC Egypt. If youre interested in religion this is very interesting)

M.M. Kaye The Far Pavilions (the 1857 revolt in India)

George MacDonald Fraser The Flashman Series (1830-1860, all over the world. Very, very entertaining)

Non-Fiction

Francis Fukuyama - The end of history and the last man

Samuel Huntington - Clash of Civilizations (the two books take opposite views about the course the world is taking. Political science and philosophy)

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 05:03
Great list Decebal - well balanced, intellectual and all of historical interest - exactly what I look for here (Oops - did I just confess to having my own agenda? )  Unfortunately I think that Dawn & I were the only ones to read the last choice selected from the Book Club list  (Roman Blood) - we seem to be in a bit of a hiatus.  We'll have to give some of your recommendations look for our next selection.

Edited by vagabond
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 10:36

Yes great list many of which I have read.

I believe you are correct Vagabond that you and I where the only ones that read the last one (maybe Cornelia but she has been away for a while) so now we are in hiatus.

Judith Tarr Pillar of Fire (Akhenaten and Moses, 14th century BC Egypt. If youre interested in religion this is very interesting) made me think of another book on the same subject  "Twelve transforming" by Pauline Gedge. Which caused me to think It might be intresting to read two books on the same subject and compare how the authers treated the material. worth a thought.   

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 20:51
Thank you. Since my last post I have also read and recommend: I Claudius by Robert Graves, The Walking Drum by Louis Lamour, and The Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar.

Also, I intend to read within the next while:
The Assyrian by Nicholas Gould.
Count Belisarius by Robert Graves
Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset (14th century Norway)

Are there any books you guys would recommend?
Oh, and by the way Dawn, which part of Canada are you from?
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 08:33
This looks interesting!!
The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History.

Edited by eaglecap
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 21:11

I heavily recommend this bok to anyone who wants to see how 18th century nations manage a world war.  I just finished it yesterday and it was a good read.

The book I just started today:

And a personal favorite of mine:

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2005 at 10:11

Read this book also. What intriqued me is the amount of impetus the Soviet regimes had in secluding a Mongol identity and the disrespect for historical -sacred burial grounds. Many had protrayed Genghis as a tyrant who left nothing but destruction. Yet he was proficient in the shaping of global commerce and international secular law.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 15:22
Indeed.  I have been to Mongolia and to places therin where Soviet troops slaughtered people for erecting symbols for the Great Khan.  I think the real reason they supressed it was not because of ideology but because his troops once conquered Russia
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 21:55
Petty, how generations take out a grudge years after the fact.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 13:20
I found this online via a link from www.jihadwatch.
This is for any North American who is concerned about the future of their countries-USA-Canada.
I hope to pick it up soon but it will be on hold till I am done with "The Alexiad of Anna Comnena" and "How the Catholics Saved Western Civilization." I am not Catholic but I am wondering if it is biased or not, I will soon find out.

Books By Abdullah Al-Araby

The Islamic Strategies
and
The Christian Response.

This book reflects the cry of Abdullah's heart to offer America an eye-opening wake-up call. It is far more than just another book on Islam. It unveils the Islamic strategies used to Islamize America. It offers a practical plan to stop the obliteration of our Christian civilization before it is too late.

Prices include shipping in the US and Canada
US $10.00 - 1 copy, US $40.00 - 5 copies, US $70.00 - 10 copies

http://www.islamreview.com/
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567