Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lithuaniana& Poland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul of Texas View Drop Down
  Quote Paul of Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lithuaniana& Poland
    Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 11:11
Are Poles Lithuanians or the other way around?
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 13:14
Are you kidding? Poles and Lithuanians don't have much relation to each other: Poles are Slavic-speakers and Lithuanians are Baltic-speakers (together with Latvians and aboriginal Prussians). True that Blatic and Slavic tongues in general seem to be related way back into their origins, but that's not enough to make "Poles Lithuanians or the other way around".

You may refer to the fact that Poland and Lithuania were united under the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, normally considered a personal union of two states: the Kingdom of Poland and the Great Principality of Lithuania. Again this doesn't make both nationalities assimilable. It's much like asking if  "Hungarians are Austrians or the other way around?".

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 14:07
I think more correct than "Great Principality of Lithuania" is "Grand Duchy of Lithuania". And union between England and Wales or England and Scotland is more appropriate comparison than between Austria and Hungary. Especially considering the fact that the whole noble class of Lithuania was polonised. Also in result of the short living 3rd may Constitution 1791 AD, both countries formed 1 state.

Edited by Mosquito
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
em View Drop Down
  Quote em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 12:06

1.Yes, you are right many of lithuanian nobles, were polonised, but not all.  Many nobles kept them sournames. Nobles everywhere defended Lithuania, her rights.

2. Polonised because polish culture had higher level. Lithuanians kept them language latin. And said - they are descendants of romans. Polish were - alien.

Strange that some polish want to say, that Lithuania was them country, Vilnius them city, and etc.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 11:51

Latin was the language of the whole noble class. A noble in the Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania would feel like an alien if didnt speak latin. One english traveler in the 17th century even said that in Commonwealth is more latinists than in Latium. Polonised and latinised means in case of Lithuania one and same thing. Later the language of noble class changed into some mix of both polish and latin what was called macaronism. A polish or lithuanian noble would say the sentence "Im Polish noble" not in polish but rather in latin "Eques polonus sum". Or even like Raczynski: "Polonus sum et nihil poloni a me alienum puto" (im polish and nothing what is polish is alien to me).

They used word "Eques" not "princeps" but in  their opinion it meant that as nobles they are equal to all the princes. In the commonwealth there was no difference between the nobles of different regions. A noble from Greater Poland, Lesser Poland, Ukraine, Lithuania or Courland, all were same and had same rights. They were one nation.

As for the descendats of Lithuanian nobles and princes today, they all consider themselves rather polish than Lithuanian and most of them dont even know lithuanian language. For examples famillies of Sapieha (o woman of this familly is a wife of the heir to the throne of Belgium today) or Radziwill familly with whom american Kennedies related themselves. In fact both famillies of Radziwill and Sapieha who are of lithuanian origin but were polonised belong the the most aristocratic famillies of the world.

Polonised because polish culture had higher level

I dont like such statements. Who is supposed to judge which culture has higher level and which has lower level? It sounds racist and nasty. Instead i would say that for the lithuanian nobles for many reasons, including political, polish language and culture was more attractive than their own. The reason was that after union with Poland they recived equal rights with polish nobles. Before it, their Grand Duke could have imprison them or kill and they had no political rights. After joining to Poland they had their own regional parliaments, their own deputies in the parliament of Commonwealth (Seym) and were untouchable just like their polish borthers (because they were calling one each other per "brother").

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
em View Drop Down
  Quote em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 16:45

[quote]As for the descendats of Lithuanian nobles and princes today, they all consider themselves rather polish than Lithuanian and most of them dont even know lithuanian language.[quote/]

I'm also descendant of some nobles of Lithuania&Poland (maybe not very importants - Koreywo, Hanusowski?(we call Ganusauskai), but i have very strong patriotic feeling to Lithuania. Have some friends, who also the same.

[quote]A noble from Greater Poland, Lesser Poland, Ukraine, Lithuania or Courland, all were same and had same rights. They were one nation.[quote/]

But why i think, you want to say that they thought, they are more polish? Dont you know, how lithuanian nobles wanted to have free country? But we needed help, because at that moment Lithuania wasn't so strong country. (but it's other discussion, if you want we can talk with the help of e-mail).

[quote]Before it, their Grand Duke could have imprison them or kill and they had no political rights.[quote/]

Actually in Lithuania duke could kill brother, or cousin...But nobles got more and more rights, because we didn't have many peoples, so GDL needed more warriors, so solution - nobles. Nobles started to play with it.

[quote] After joining to Poland they had their own regional parliaments, their own deputies in the parliament of Commonwealth (Seym) and were untouchable just like their polish borthers (because they were calling one each other per "brother").[quote/]

Maybe, but the fact - that lithuanians believed in myth, that they are descendants of romans, and were very proud of it...i could post some sources how it started..

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 19:27
Actually they thought that they come from Sarmatians, not from Romans. Altough they named their state "Commonwealth" after Roman Republic. And nobles in the commonwealth had 1 ideology and way of life, doesnt matter if they were from Lithuania or from other region.
em View Drop Down
  Quote em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 12:13

Albert Stanislav Radziwill:

Janusz Radziwill, more warmed his young blood with wine, over and over more gushing of spite, declared the war for polish:

"Lithuanian nation can't stand more harms, wich were done for her. Will come time, then polish not throught door, but through windows will be strewed"

(1636 years)

Jan Chodkiewicz (did i write good in your language?) speaking in Lublin 1569

We can't say, how it's hard for us/ We, like good sons of fatherland, must to care about her welfare, so and gracious king, and all monsieur can certify, that how can we defend our fatherland, wich we till now kept healthly with our bloods and lifes. If we now dont afford till the end defend her, so thats why, that we needed succumb for snags, fate and for circumstamse of time. [...] We don't have where to appel for help, just to God and our master, our defender of rights. we standing before graciuos king by our wishes came to here and request to finish, that neither for us, nor our descendants it woudn't became to slavery or spot [...]

Latin language - really lithuanian language

We scooping mocovian science, who don't have nothing ancient and can't rouse nothing virtuous, because ruthenian language is alien for us, lithuanians, italians, who rised from italian blood.

That it's true, obviously from our half latin language and old romanian mores, wich not aged stoped to live. after all and ignis (ugnis) and unda (vanduo), aer (oras), sol (saul) [..] and many other words in lithuanian language means same like in latin. Actually to thoose places came our ancestors, Roman citizens and warriors[...]

Mykolas Lietuvis. About tartas, lithuanians and moscovians mores. middle of VXI age.

Poland many years wanted to make Lithuania country, who do what Poland want. But we stand... stand even against many enemies. And remember one song after battle of algiris (if you say it bad name remember that algiris meens green (alia) forest (giria,mikas).

I readed that Dlugosz also wrote that "withal thoose sordids lithuanians from respectable romans borned.."

Very sorry for my bad english.. could you give me your email? 

Post Reply Post Reply