Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Andalucian knights and Granadine lancers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Surenas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Surenas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Andalucian knights and Granadine lancers
    Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 09:11
Who were these two cavalry types were they based?

What was there quality and what arms did they use like did they have bow and lance..etc?
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2005 at 11:08
I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about. Were they Muslim troops or Christian ones? When were they famous? I know that Andalusia has a long history of horse breeding but I've never heard of any specific Andalusian military unit. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2005 at 16:31
Well as far as i know, the knights copied european knights, they had almost the same equipment, as for the lancers, they are just copies of byzantine heavy cavalry, they used a very long lance to thrust with 2 hands and didn't use a shield.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2005 at 19:20
Were they troops of the Caliphate or any other Muslim state of Spain?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 19:18

For the knights, could be somewhere when Norman style cavalry dominated europe, probably pre-almoravid andalucia (ummayad period).

For lancers, they were very late, when andalucia was reduced to Granada, they had long lances, a very small heart shaped shield (slung behind the back, only used if they dismounted) and swords.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 20:31
Thanks. You always learn something new. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 21:13
No problem, and sorry for the late reply

Edited by Fizzil
 Post Reply Post Reply