Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 46>
Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you reading?
    Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 00:13
Aside from Tolkien and the His Dark Materials series you will be very hard pressed to even find mediocre fantasy.  Its a shame in theory it would be my favorite genre but like other things like anime and pop music 95% of it sucks.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 03:21

Gemini Contenders by Robert Ludlum

Previous books: The Tristan Betrayal, The Prometheus Deception,The Altman Code, 1984....

The first three are by Robert Ludlum who made me read 500 days in 7 days. He is the BEST political-fiction-thriller of all time. In Prometheus Deception, the reader is deceived god knows how many times. Just dont pass away from this planet before reading these....

warlord View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote warlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 03:30

You guys are all lucky.

Currently, the only things I am reading are client business requirements.

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 05:05
I began reading "Whom For The Bells Toll" by Ernest Hemingway.
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 09:58
Ernest is good...
Master of Puppets View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Master of Puppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 07:20

I read FWTBT too, it's great!

"Wow, that's most impressive! reading Kafka already makes you a superbrain, but then in a foreign language and even understand his weird stuff that's awesome! "

Well, I said I was reading him, not that I understood him  Point is that his German isn't too difficult for somebody from the Netherlands, but to understand what he really means, that's a different matter...

I stopped in the sixth chapter and started all over again. I plan to take notes on each chapter I read and make plans of the rooms Kafka is describing. Kafka seems obsessed with rooms and the way they relate to each other, there must be something about them...
So far I only have a vague perception of the meaning of everything Kafka is writing in this book. I decided that the system of justice in the book can't represent a dictatorial state, as its supreme ruling body is invisible, which isn't the case in a dictatorial state. For the rest there are a few things that stand out: the stupidity of the employees, K. inability to really contact anybody, the importance of rooms...

ARGH!

Edited by Master of Puppets
Wherever I turn, there is Death.
The Epic of Gilgamesh; Tablet XI, line 245
Herodotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Herodotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 14:39
The History of The English Speaking Peoples: Volume One
"Dieu est un comdien jouant une assistance trop effraye de rire."
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Francois Marie Arouet, Voltaire

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 15:17
The fall of Saxon England and 1066 the year of the conquest. plus an Artherian on (can't think of the name right know)
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 14:28
Is it just me, or do the women on this foru only like British and Roman history?
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 16:13

Well ....I like medievil ...mostly British......I like Roman .....I like Scotland ..no wait thats British ...hummm.....you might be right.

No wait I like Egyptian tooo. That's not British or Roman. and Vikings  but mostly the others  

BattleGlory View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote BattleGlory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 17:36

Eesh, I'm reading so many books, and I've had to put them on hold while I'm finishing up my summer homework A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.  Thus Spake Zarathustra by Nietzsche.  The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky.  The Persian Boy by Mary Renault.  Imperial Hubris by "Anonymous".  Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle.  Paradise Lost by John Milton.  The Divine Comedy by Dante.  Still struggling through Peter Green's Alexander to ActiumThe Bible Unearthed by Israel Finkelstein and some other guy.  Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier.

MoP:  Do you have access to books in English?  If you do, I would suggest you try to pick up Robert Fagles' translation of the Odyssey, and the Iliad too.

so many books, so little time

I have a shirt that says that, haha.

Aside from Tolkien and the His Dark Materials series you will be very hard pressed to even find mediocre fantasy.

Have you tried Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series?

Edited by BattleGlory
~If you don't know history, you don't know anything.
~Time can change me, but I can't change time.
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 01:11

Santa Anna: the seductor of the Father Land from Enrique Serna.

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 02:53

Originally posted by Master of Puppets

I stopped in the sixth chapter and started all over again. I plan to take notes on each chapter I read and make plans of the rooms Kafka is describing. Kafka seems obsessed with rooms and the way they relate to each other, there must be something about them...

Obsession about rooms... Interesting observation there. Here's a quote from the Kafka short-story The Burrow, which is written from the POV of a mole:

When I stand in the Castle Keep surrounded by my piled-up stores, surveying the ten passages which begin there, raised and sunken passages, vertical and rounded passages, wide and narrow passages, as the general plan dictates, and all alike still and empty, ready by their various routes to conduct me to all the other rooms, which are also still and empty, -then I know that this is my castle that I have wrested from the refractory soil with tooth and claw, with pounding and hammering blows, my castle which can never belong to anyone else, and is so essentially mine that I can calmly accept in it even my enemy's mortal stroke at the final hour, for my blood will ebb away here in my own soil and will not be lost.

And a parable from the short story Great Wall of China;

There is a parable that describes this situation very well: The Emperor, so it runs, has sent a message to you, the humble subject, the insignificant shadow cowering in the remotest distance before the imperial sun; the Emperor from his death-bed has sent a message to you alone. He has commanded the messenger to kneel down by the bed, and has whispered the message to him; so much store did he lay on it that he ordered the messenger to whisper it back to his ear again. Then by a nod of the head he has confirmed that it is right. Yes, before the assembled spectators of his death- all the obstructing walls have been broken down, and on the spacious and loftily mounting open staircases stand in a ring the great princes of the Empire- before all these he has delivered his message. The messenger immediately sets out on his journey; a powerful, an indefatigable man; now pushing with his right arm, now with his left, he cleaves a way for himself through the throng; if he encounters resistance he points to his breast, where the symbol of the sun glitters; the way, too, is made easier for him than it would be for any other man. But the multitudes are so vast; their numbers have no end. If he could reach the open fields how fast he would fly, and soon doubtless you would hear the welcome hammering of his fists on your door. But instead how vainly does he wear out his strength; still he is only making his way through the chambers of the innermost palace; never will he get to the end of them; and if he succeeded in that nothing would be gained; he must fight his way next down the stairs; and if he succeeded in that nothing would be gained; the courts would still have to be crossed; and after the courts the second outer palace; and once more stairs and courts; and once more another palace; and so on for thousands of years; and if at last he should burst through the outermost gate- but never, never can that happen- the imperial capital would lie before him, the centre of the world, crammed to bursting with its own refuse. Nobody could fight his way through here even with a message from a dead man. -But you sit at your window when evening falls and dream it to yourself.

Both show an interest in architecture.

Edited by Beylerbeyi
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 03:36
The Arabs in History by Bernard Lewis.  Ive been reading like a page at a time for the past year, i pick it up like once a week or something.  I dont read many books, but I guess you could say im "reading" this one right now
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 11:51

Reading..

The Second Demonwars Saga by Bob Salvatore, currently on the last book "Immortals".

And for my history report, Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer... again.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 15:21
I started reading "Between war and peace: the Estonain defense policies before 1940."
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 13:22
bah, i'm finished with the osprey book about the persian army (560-330 BC), not only the plates were ugly, the text was horrible, basicaly everyhting is guesswork...
Master of Puppets View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Master of Puppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 14:42

"MoP:  Do you have access to books in English?  If you do, I would suggest you try to pick up Robert Fagles' translation of the Odyssey, and the Iliad too."

Actually, I recently ordered Fagles' translation of Aischulos's Oresteia (I read that his translations were very readable and accurate) and translations of the Odyssey and Iliad into Dutch in hexameters. I'll probably pick up Fagles' version too, once, especially if I'll like his translation of the Oresteia.

Beylerbeyi, those quotes were really interesting and shed some more light on Kafka, thanks a lot! I ordered his collected works recently (8 volumes in German) so I don't have to lend Kafka from the library anymore and can spend the rest of my life reading him and never get out of the palace!

Wherever I turn, there is Death.
The Epic of Gilgamesh; Tablet XI, line 245
faram View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote faram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 16:50
Now I'm reading "Mendizabal"  by Galds
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 21:30
Originally posted by Tobodai

Aside from Tolkien and the His Dark Materials series you will be very hard pressed to even find mediocre fantasy.  Its a shame in theory it would be my favorite genre but like other things like anime and pop music 95% of it sucks.

Hmm, maybe.  Have you tried Shadow War Chronicles or the Majipoor series?  Or even C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia?

I am reading Valentine Pontifex by Robert Silverberg.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 46>