Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 46>
Author
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you reading?
    Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 14:37
Every history buff reads something. So tell us what you are reading now.

Edited by Dawn
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 14:55

two book ssimultanioulsy as always, lol.

Oxford history of China and Introduction to African civilizations right now.  When I am finished those Ill read Samurai Invasion about the Imjin war.

I have recently finished Medieval Persia, Cities in Mesopotamia, and Rise and Fall of the British Empire, Ive been a busy reader.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 14:57
I'm on a Sci-Fi break myself, Pandora's star, but the same guy who wrote the Reality Disfunction series. After that i'll continue working my way through the Time-Life:History of the world series (again, read them when i was younger, forgot alot of it though).
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 15:54
Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 16:12

this is a VERY good topic!!  

Originally posted by Tobodai

two book ssimultanioulsy as always, lol.

LOL, me too! I'm always reading an hitorical (mostly Osprey LOL) and a novel. I just finished reading "the Motorcyce Diaries" by Ernesto Guevarra in German translation, here it's called "Lationamericana". As a mvie geek I heard about an upcoming movie focusing on Ches first Latinamerican travel that brought him to Chile and Peru in the first line, but also Columbia and Venecuela. I didn't knew much about Che and as Arda, ihsan and me are talking about a possible Central Asian tour I thought it would be nice to read up on a similar experience...I must say it was worth it...Che has a quite unique stile of writing and the book is overall entertaining and has some nice insights into southamerican cultre and also history, it has also a slight Panamercan and Communist touch to it but it didn't disturbed me at least....not sure, I'm probably now also goign to read on his second tor, but first  descided to read "the way of the Samrai" by Yagyu munenori in German translation...I've already read the 5 rings by Musashi and the Hakagure..I thought I 'm now trough with the Samrai stuff, but one book more can't hurt  before the Motorcycle diaries I read Butlers Jihad in German translation (yes, it always takes them a whole year to translate it, and the translation isn't even good  . as a huge Dune fan I must say I was pretty content, it wasn't as bad as the house-triology, still it could be better, especially the end (don't mean the story, but the supposed cliffhangers are badly writte IMO).

the historybook I'm curently reading is Rome's Enemies 3: Parthians and Sassanid Persians from Osprey, it's quite good and I'm almost throught with it (not tha it's that large though). before that I've read Mughul India 1504 - 1761. no clue what I read then, either the Persian army 560-330 BC also from Osprey or Wariors of the Steppe by Hildinger...

Edited by Temujin
Mast View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Mast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 16:51
I recently bought the "The Da Vinci code" and I am planning on reading it soon.

First however, I am finishing this amusing swedish book about a fictional viking's journey, "Red Orm".
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 19:48

I'm reading several books as well.  LOL 

Cleopatra by Michael Grant and The Pageant of Early Tudor England by Elizabeth Burton.   I keep a copy of Roman Women in my jeep for those times I'm stuck in a line at the bank or in traffic.  LOL  I hate just sitting there with nothing to do.

As for fiction,  I have just finished Terry Pratchett's Hat Full of Sky and Dan Brown's DaVinci Code.  Both are really worth reading.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 20:05
Originally posted by Cornellia

I keep a copy of Roman Women in my jeep for those times I'm stuck in a line at the bank or in traffic.  LOL  I hate just sitting there with nothing to do.

You are such a geek!   Btw, is there anybody who has not read the De Vinci Code?

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2004 at 20:26

I havent, Im too busy reading austere textbooks for fiction, though I must recommend a fiction I read last year.  The Years of Rice and Salt is a reincarnation story taking place in an alternate world were the black death killed off all the Europeans.

I beleive tha last Osprey book I read was Medieval Russian Armies 2 or East Asian ships I forget which.

I also recommend for all the Chinggis fans here the new jake Weatherford book Genghis Khan and the founding of the modern world, I met his Mongolian co author at Karakorum!

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Mast View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Mast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 05:08
Btw, is there anybody who has not read the De Vinci Code?

*Raises hand* I bought the english version because it was cheaper than the swedish one, let's see if I understand anything.
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 09:09
Originally posted by Catt

You are such a geek!   Btw, is there anybody who has not read the De Vinci Code?

Yes I am!! 

But I'm a cute one. 

Edited by Cornellia
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 09:26

I'm reading Roman Warfare by:  Adrian Goldsworthy.

Pretty good reading.  He doesn't go into the specifics too often, but he does provide good theories on the Roman approach to warfare.  Good pictures in it too.

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 10:32

I like many others here read several books at a time,one or two  novels and a couple of history. Just finished a Canadian novel Jack Absulute by CC Humpries good book and about to start Butlerian Jihad (was it worth reading in your opinion Tamujin or just not bad ?) I must be the only one that hasn't read The Da Vinci code but I haven't had a copy come into my store yet and am to cheap to pay $37 for it in hard cover from Chapters so I wait for paper back

As for history: The devil's Crown: HenryII and his son's - good book reads like a novel. The war of the Roses and The princes in the Tower by Alison Wiers - similair and go together well although she seems very agianst Richard III and it comes through in her selection of sources. If it doesn't fit she ignores it. and just finished Richard III by Kendal

Edited by Dawn
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 10:34

Cleopatra by Michael Grant and The Pageant of Early Tudor England by Elizabeth Burton.  

How do you like Grant ? I read his "The world of Rome" and couldn't deside if I liked hoim or not. 

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 10:49

But I'm a cute one. 

LOL what ever you say four eyes!  You are cute in a sorta Napoleon Dynamite kinda way.      ...just kidding you are an attractive geek indeed.

Might take that recommendation Lannes. I love AG,hes one of my favorite new historians. I have and refer to his Punic Wars often.

Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 11:04

I like Grant because he's readable, his history is for the most part, fairly solid, and he offers new insights on things.

That said, I do often check other sources on points he brings up and have sometimes found discrepancies.

Cornellia Four Eyes. 

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 15:20
I found him slightly more difficult to read and also found some questionable facts but OK. Perhaps the difficulty was just in the mood I was in when I read that one.
Jr_Capablanca View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Jr_Capablanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 17:38

Hello!

Hi Mast! I`ve read Rde Orm as well, it`s quite entertaining ("...nr han kommit till besjungandet av mjlk och citronvatten..." ).

I`m reading Bellum Iudaeica by Flavius Josephus right now.

/Capa

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 19:05

I just bought 2 novels which were supposed to be about Gaius Iulius Caesar and his life. I think authour is planning trilogy. He is named Conn Igguldin and books are titled : "Emperor: the gates of Rome" and "Emperor:The death of kings". So far i see i just wasted my monay.  The things which this guy writes are total crap and got nothing to to with the real history (eg. Marius is defending Rome with one legion against Sulla who wants to take it with one legion but Sulla's assasins comes to Rome, kills a lot of Marius's soldiers, captures Marius, Sulla kills Marius, Sulla rapes Cornelia - Caesar's wife, someone from casesar's house murders Sulla, Marcus Brutus is the son of prostitute and Caesars's father took him to his home so he is growing up with Caesar and they are like brothers.... and a lot of more weird events). I really wasted my monay I know that writers also got their rights, licentia poetica and such, but that Conn Igguldin  to me seems to be a complete idiot.

Edited by Mosquito
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 23:07
I'm so sorry you wasted your money on those ones. They where just awful. I remember the whole time reading them thinking why can't this guy get it right.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 46>