Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 43444546>
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you reading?
    Posted: 02-Sep-2011 at 09:46
Bones, by Elaine Dewar. Carroll & Graff.  She is an investigative reporter, not an archaeologist.

"She examines the rivalries, political agendas, gossip, turf wars, threats, thefts and outright lies among researchers that still cripple honest investigation of American antiquity".  Balt. Sun.

She's also the first journalist I know of to expose the fact that over 90% of the archaeological surveys produced under the laws in the US have never been peer reviewed or published.

Edited by red clay - 02-Sep-2011 at 09:49
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2011 at 10:44
The Borgias, by Michael Mallett. Bought it a few weeks ago before watching the series of the same name.

undefined

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 02-Sep-2011 at 10:49
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2011 at 13:51
I am slowly finishing The Decipherment of Linear B, by John Chadwick.  I think it has been out of print for decades.  In either case, I found it in a used book store (the best kind of book store).

Edited by Cryptic - 02-Sep-2011 at 13:53
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2011 at 14:43
Nothing now but I have a book about the Armenian genocide I will read but I cannot recall the title right now. I want to get Michael Savages' new fictional novel titled "Abuse of power" but it won't be out for a few weeks. Once it is out it will be almost impossible to get a copy for months.

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2011 at 14:45
Originally posted by red clay

Bones, by Elaine Dewar. Carroll & Graff.  She is an investigative reporter, not an archaeologist.

"She examines the rivalries, political agendas, gossip, turf wars, threats, thefts and outright lies among researchers that still cripple honest investigation of American antiquity".  Balt. Sun.

She's also the first journalist I know of to expose the fact that over 90% of the archaeological surveys produced under the laws in the US have never been peer reviewed or published.

Interesting!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2011 at 20:55
A Terrible Glory, Custer and the Little Big Horn, The Last Great Battle of the American West;
Donovan James; Little, Brown and Company; New York, Boston, London.
527pg, March 2008.

ISBN-13:978-0-316-15578-6

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 02-Sep-2011 at 20:56
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2011 at 16:37
Arrian's Campaigns of Alexander
Timidi mater non flet
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2011 at 17:34
Originally posted by eaglecap

Nothing now but I have a book about the Armenian genocide I will read but I cannot recall the title right now. I want to get Michael Savages' new fictional novel titled "Abuse of power" but it won't be out for a few weeks. Once it is out it will be almost impossible to get a copy for months.

I picked it up today at Hastings in Sierra Vista, Arizona-yippeee!
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2011 at 17:39
 The Story Of Ireland
 Emily Lawless

S. T. Friedman

erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2011 at 17:21
Prokopios Secret History of Byzantium 

This guy really hates Belisarius and Justinanus. I'm curious if is it true(even if a little bit) Stern Smile
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2011 at 18:47
Dunno..what do you think?

S. T. Friedman

erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2011 at 08:30
I think he exagerattes too much
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2011 at 09:10
Well there ya have it eh....

S. T. Friedman

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 12:08
The Nicomachean Ethics, by Aristotle. This has to be one of the easiest philosophers to read. I wish more philosophers had written their works so clear. He is nearly at the top of my favourites.

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Leroy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Leroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2012 at 13:35
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

The Nicomachean Ethics, by Aristotle. This has to be one of the easiest philosophers to read. I wish more philosophers had written their works so clear. He is nearly at the top of my favourites.

One of my favorite philosophical works and yes very readable.
Leroy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Leroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2012 at 14:11
I'm half way through "The Rise and Fall of Egypt" by Toby Wilkinson. He gives us a good overview of Egypt from Narmer to Cleopatra.

Toby Wilkinson ignores the myths and aims to demystify his subject. He focuses on kingship and power, government, development of religion, administration, politics, military campaigns, and finally the decay of Egypt.

New York Times review

Excerpt Chapter 3: Absolute Power
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2012 at 17:45
I'm glad to see another fan of Aristotle hereSmile. He is my all time favorite philosopher, and the one I have read for longest time.

I'm 50 pages into  "Mary Magdalene" by Bruce Chilton, but so far I'm disappointed, because I don't encounter anything new.

Edited by Don Quixote - 29-Mar-2012 at 18:15
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2014 at 22:29
I hope they are both good reads! He is something!

I meant the above response to refer to that Conservative NY Jew who does radio out of SF, CA! LOL

He can sometimes be quite "SAVAGE!"

Regards, Ron

Edited by opuslola - 16-Jan-2014 at 22:38
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2014 at 22:34
I read all of the time, and just finished a William F. Buckley novel, entitled "Henri Tod"! A good read.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2014 at 23:02
Anything concerning this family is worthy of a read! Fascinating is the word of the day!

Ron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 43444546>