Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 46>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you reading?
    Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 23:16

Right now I am reading the book The Aztecs by Nigel Davies

Gives a good acount on what their religion,  values,  government system and army was like

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 15:27

I'm currently reading Dune, by Frank Herbert.  A sci-fi novel, which I hardly ever read (I'm mostly limited to historical stuff), but it is EXCELLENT.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 19:24

Well I think I've got you all geeked up. Since my reading consists of my new Eberron DND setting book (Does that count as a book?).

As for novels I'm finishing up the darkness series by Harry Turtledove.

Also, I will have to say that I am one of those people that hasn't read the da Vinci Code.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Keltoi View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Keltoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 19:55
The Picture of Dorian Gray and A Brave New World
Cymru am Byth
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 21:13

Currently I am reading Choke  and Wicca: a guide for the solitary practitioner

I am sorry that they have nothing to do with history.

Rebelsoul View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rebelsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 06:58

I am reading several books right now. Baudolino by Uberto Eko is one, Ancient Athenians: Passion, Lust and Pleasure by a guy who's name I can't remember is the second and the newest Stephen King short stories collection is the third.

Kings stories are mildly entertaining (if you are in the beach, that is) but the other two are extremely interesting, I really recomend them. Also, I just finished "Carnage  and Culture" by Victor Davis Hanson, an excellent read (even though extremely controversial and kinda innacurate at several points)

Rebelsoul View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rebelsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 06:59
Originally posted by King Jeff 2

I'm currently reading Dune, by Frank Herbert.  A sci-fi novel, which I hardly ever read (I'm mostly limited to historical stuff), but it is EXCELLENT.

An extremely good book, one of the best in its kind.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 07:33

We're reading exactly the same books Rebelsoul! Apart for the King ones. When I'm at the beach I prefer to read Douglas Adams (and laugh out loud )

Edited by Yiannis
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Rebelsoul View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rebelsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 07:45
Originally posted by Yiannis

We're reading exactly the same books Rebelsoul! Apart for the King ones. When I'm at the beach I prefer to read Douglas Adams (and laugh out loud )

Well, that's funny. Last year in my vacations I took with me (to read them all for the 5th or 6th time...) the whole trilogy (in four volumes   )  of the Hitchhikers guide... I tried not to laugh to loud though

You are reading the same books? Ain't they both fantastic? Baudolino is as full as every story of Eko (especially the name of the Rose... what a Behemoth of subtle meanings and hidden secrets... not to mention Fucault's Pendulum) with several layers and humangous riches of knowledge (and suggestions for further reading!) while the other book is probably the most interesting read about ancient history I've ever seen (naughty, naughty buggers them ancient Greeks )

Edited by Rebelsoul
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 07:51

I have the tendency (actually it's a bad habit) of losing books. I lend them to friends never to take them back, lose them in moving etc... so very often when I want to read one book again I realize that I don't have it anymore and I have to re-buy it. That's what happened to the "Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" and I had to buy them again this summer!

And yes, our forefathers surelly knew how to enjoy life

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 10:53
My husbad wishes I would loose some of these books or at least get rid of them. Oh life with a person that doesn't read , they understand nothing
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 12:09

Poor Dawn! that is a heavy cross to bear!

I've been told I have the only home in town that you need a library to get into.

LOL....so many books, so little time...........

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 16:55

Originally posted by Dawn

My husbad wishes I would loose some of these books or at least get rid of them. Oh life with a person that doesn't read , they understand nothing

I know what you mean, poor dear. Although, I did finally trick my fiance into starting to read by buying him StarCraft and WarCraft books. Running out of those though :\

Da Vinci Code was very good, but there are non-fiction books that delve into the same theories with much more detail. I was reading one the other week, but the name is slipping my mind.

At the moment, I am desperatly trying to finish Dostoevski's Brothers Karamazov before school starts again. I knew I should have started earlier

vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 22:18

Good stuff everyone.  Wasn't a big fan of The Da Vinci Code - it's an ok thriller but the information is faaar too askew for my taste.

Baudolino was tough for me to get through - somewhat convoluted and I never identified with the characters - the lack of character development caused me to lose interest - Ecco's other works were better - Foucault's Pendulum got a bit lost in the plot - but was some fun material - I loved Name of the Rose.

Rise and Fall is always good - Gibbon is one of my fave raves.

Dune - also great - as is almost everything I have read by Herbert.

I'm currently working my way through material about the Confessing Church - the Lutheran group that opposed the German government's attempt at control of the church during the Nazi period - with the collected essays and sermons of Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Martin Niemoeller (From U boat to Pulpit gives some great images of life in the German Navy - Niemoeller was captain of a U boat during WW I). Both Niemoeller and Bonhoeffer were arrested by the Nazis - Niemoeller managed to survive.

Also currently reading Solomon Volkov's St.Petersburg: a cultural history  - discussing the influence of life in St. Petersburg on the various artists, composers, writers and poets who passed through there.  It's a bit dry. 

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 22:27
[QUOTE=[aura]]

I know what you mean, poor dear. Although, I did finally trick my fiance into starting to read by buying him StarCraft and WarCraft books. Running out of those though :\

Try Battletech books.

[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Rebelsoul View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rebelsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 05:33

Originally posted by Dawn

Try to lure him into reading more. Had the same problem with my wife, managed (after 3+ years of restless efforts) to drive her into reading... she finished 2 books and is underway a 3rd in our 10-day long vacations, so I must've done something here

Rebelsoul View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rebelsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 05:37
Originally posted by vagabond

Baudolino was tough for me to get through - somewhat convoluted and I never identified with the characters - the lack of character development caused me to lose interest - Ecco's other works were better - Foucault's Pendulum got a bit lost in the plot - but was some fun material - I loved Name of the Rose.

We do agree for the Name of the Rose (one of the best books I've ever read) but I find Baudolino equaly intriguing in several aspects (and there are fascinating characters here too) allthough not on the same level.  Foucaults Pendulum was really a tough reading - I had bought 5 books and rented half a dozen more while reading it, because it brought forth so many unanswered questions and so many elements begging for further explaination... marvelous, indeed.

BTW, shouldn't this lovely thread go to our newfound Literacy subforum?

Edited by Rebelsoul
Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 06:04
I think it could fit in either or.
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 15:17
Right now I read the new Norman Davies  "Raising 1944" - very fresh and unconventional view on Warsaw Uprising in 1944. Except the historical works I like Kurt Vonnegut and Stanisław Lem books.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 15:34

"Byzantine emperors: The emperors in purple"

"Introductory to islam"

"Napoleon"

"The black book of communism: Terror, repressions"

Tolstoi's "War and peace"

Those are at hand right now.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 46>