Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AEDip04: New Versailles Diplomacy game: Now Recruiting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AEDip04: New Versailles Diplomacy game: Now Recruiting
    Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 07:36
I think we may already have 4 players and a GM (that's me) but anyhow we will need 7 players and some reserves.

Any interested players/reserves/observers must PM or email me with a list of his/her preferences and an email adress.

The variant is played in the European scenario starting in 1929. The major powers are the same as in Standard except for Austria-Hungary now replaced by Poland.

Besides there are also 7 armed minor powers that will be controlled according to a rule of my invention specified below.

The map is as follows:

With troops initially allocated the following way:

The RP files (text and graphic files) are directly downloaded in this link: http://www.users.bigpond.com/kennedy4/resources/files/Realpo litik3adv.zip

Or visiting this page: http://www.users.bigpond.com/kennedy4/support.htm

If you don't have yet Realpolitik, it's highly commendable that you download it at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/realpolitik

All the info on this variant can be found in http://www.users.bigpond.com/kennedy4/contents.htm

Yet notice that we will use a totally new rule for minor powers' control. The rule is as follows:

Special rule for the management of armed minor powers in variants that provide for them:

Each major power (player) has as many Influence Points (IPs) as centers it owns. Every Winter the player can allocate them for any available minor power(s) at will. 

Each winter then the GM will count the IPs allocated at each minor power ruling its allaince for the upcoming year to the power that more "votes" has achieved in that particular "poll" or "influence struggle". Players are not obligued to "vote" for themselves (default) but can also explictly allocate their IPs for other major powers.

IP allocation will remain secret in any case. 

The major power obtaining single majority in each individual votation, gets the alliance (total cotrol) of the minor power for the full following year. A tie on top votes causes the minor power to stay neutral for the subsequent year.

Examples (using Versailles variant) in Winter 1928 (prior to the game start):

(1) Czechoslovakia:

• Germany 3 IPs
  • Poland 2 IPs
  • Italy 1 IP

Germany obtains alliance (control) of Czechoslovakia for all 1929 (3 vs 2)

(2) Spain:

• France: 3 IPs
  • Britain: 2 IPs
  • Italy : 1 IP for Britain

Spain stays neutral in 1929 (3 vs 3)

(3) Greece:

• Italy: 1 IP

Italy attains the Greece alliance for 1929

(4) Yugoslavia:

• Turkey: 2 IPs
  •  USSR: 1 IP

Turkey obtains Yugoslav alliance in 1929 (2 vs 1)

(5) Rumania:

• Poland: 2 IPs
  •  USSR: 1 IP 

Poland obtains Rumanian alliance for 1929 (2 vs 1)

(6) Sweden:

• USSR: 2 IPs
  • Britain 1 IP
  •  Poland: 1 IP for Britain

Sweden stays neutral in 1929 (2 vs 2)

(7) Egypt: 

• Turkey: 1 IP 

Turkey obtains Egyptian alliance for 1929

Yet (IMPORTANT!), the votation or IP allocation remains secret. Only the results are published by the GM along the Winter adjustments' adjudication.

Continuity vote: minor powers will cast a special vote for their previous allies. This rule is intended to encourage alliance continuity and minimize the posibilities that a minor power reverses to neutrality. 

Examples (Winter 1929): 

Greece: 

• Turkey: 1 IP
  • Italy: 1 IP
  •  Greece (continuity vote): IP for Italy

Italy retains control over Greece in 1930 (1 vs 1)

Egypt: no IPs invested by any major powers

• Egypt (continuity vote): IP for Turkey

Turkey retains control over Egypt

Rumania:

• Poland: 3 IPs
  • USSR: 4 IPs
  • Rumania (continuity vote): IP for Poland>

USSR takes control of Rumania (4 vs 3)

Betrayal penalty
(loss of credibility): 

A power can of course occupy its minor ally's owned centers, yet this will cause the following penalty: the traitor major power loses all IPs in the subsequent Winter and will recover only half of them (rounded down) in the second year after the wrongdoing. The third year after the stab, the traitor power will have again all its IPs, unless it has comitted new acts of treason towards its minor allies.

The continuity vote rule is not affected by this provision. Minor powers will remain casting their IP for their former allies equally.

Provisions for minor powers reverting to neutrality

The unit(s) of such minor power will act as follows:

• If it is at their home SC, it will hold
  • If it is adjacent to their home SC, it will move to it
  • If it is two provinces away from their home SC, it will also move to it via the shortest possible path, deciding the GM on random bases if two or more paths are equally available.
  • If it is more than 2 provinces away, it will hold

If a neutralized minor power owns more than one SC, the unit most distant from its home center will move towards the other owned SC following the same provisions as above. If both units are equally distant, the GM will decide on random bases. 

Example: Yugoslavia controls Belgrade (home) and Athens and has its two armies in Macedonia and Albania. One army will move to Blegrade and the other to Athens on random choice (flipping a coin, for instance).

When a minor powers can become major (played) and when an abandoned major power can turn minor:

Any minor power that achieves 3 SCs becomes a major power and will be assigned to a new player. The new player will then name a second home center for his new power. 

An abandoned major power with 2 or less SCs can become minor on GM's decission applying then the previous rules.

Any doubts, now is the moment to clarify them.

It is also the moment to decide if the game will be played to its full length (that is until a power achieves control of half+1 of all centers) or if we will be using other rules, like the ones used in the previous AEDip games.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 10:24
I want to play, and let's go for a full game this time, with no partial victory option.

I will send you a pm with my email and my choice list.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 10:28
I also say a full game,but also with partial victory which motivates players to keep playing in the middle of the game
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 12:16

I want to be in. I must think two days atleast for a set of names of states but I believe I will make it on time.

@ TheDiplomat, it seems to me that I cannot count then if you say that there are 8 minor powers.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 12:19
I have 3 confirmations so far. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 19:59
 I'd love to play if I understood a bloody thing about this game  it baffles me totally.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 21:04
Originally posted by Heraclius

I'd love to play if I understood a bloody thing about this game  it baffles me totally.

We are willing to teach as well, in fact our last game the student won.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 03:43

Minor powers would add color to the game

I either play,and want to be Germany if it is OK.

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 05:29

You are welcome to play. Most likely you will be the only newbie but anyhow it's not a dificult game technically: the dificulty is more in the correct tactical and strategical analysis and the diplomatic scene.

I will gladly answer all your doubts but first I would suggest that you read the rules and some general strategy articles. Take it easy.

Rules 3rd edition (1992): http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/rulebooks/1992AH3 rd.pdf

Notice that the rules are created for the standard game and we will be playing a variant. The main diference being on the existence of seven minor powers that will be governed for the rule posted above.

Some very useful resources can be found at the Diplomacy Archive. Particularly:
And, as we are playing the game to the end with only one winner (or draw if consensuated) and no second places, you should read also The Soloist Manifesto by David E. Cohen.

If you need to some sparring for the tactical moves, I will gladly play with you a 1 to 1 fast learning micro-game, with no diplomacy and in which I write down my orders before reading yours, commenting on your moves as we go. I will play the Axis (G-I) and you will play the allies (B-F-P), with Russia and Turkey as neutrals. Just one or two game-years, so you learn the basics.

In ay case you should PM me with your preferences for the actual game and an email adress.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 07:23

Haha, yeah, last game I won and it was my first! 

And I will play as well.  where is the list of countries?  I'll find them!

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 08:20
We already have 6 confirmed players, which is pretty much of a record: TheDiplomat, Bishop, Hugoestr, Rider, TheGeneral and Kapikulu. You all lnow each other already. We need at least one more: if Heraclius would confirm it would be full and further incorporations would be replacements.

Now I have two doubts that need your assesment:

1) Christmas is in a couple of weeks. Will you all be around or rather prefer to take a break for that period?

2) I'm thinking in refining the rule about minor powers the following way: minor powers can't be ordered to move but to provinces that are adjacent to their home SCs or to other SCs (only exception: when it is the only available retreat). That way all the provisions on when a minor power goes back to neutral would be simplified. It would also prevent a situation like convoying Yugoslav A Belgrade to Catalonia and then, after Italy has lost alliance with Yugoslavia, maybe by voting for another power, he unoficially "betrays" it, walking impunely into Belgrade.  I want that alliances between major and minor powers have some resemblance to reality.

Also this would be pretty historical: minor powers such as Rumania or Hungary were mostly concerned about their own issues. Romanian soldiers never went beyond the Prut river, while Spanish and Hungarian contingents in Russia were near irrelevant.

So what do you say about these two issues?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 12:32

Well, pretty understandable. I believe I have no difference with Christmas but 'I will b e here as much as I am now.

The minor powers? But we can invade them anyways?

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 14:19
Originally posted by rider

The minor powers? But we can invade them anyways?

Yes, of course.

But notice that if a minor power is your ally and you invade it, you "lose your international credibility", i.e. your IPs for one year, painfully regaining half of it the second year. So it would seem undesirable unless it is about the last minor power around.

I hope that the rule on the IPs is well understood. I want to keep it as simple as possible but also consistent for gameplay.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 14:37
AND IMPORTANT NOTICE:

I DON'T WANT A SINGLE PLAYER TO DROP OUT BECAUSE ANOTHER PLAYER CALLED HIM "MONKEY-LOVER" OR ANY OTHER STUPID IN-GAME REASON.

IF YOU HAVE TO RESIGN, YOU BETTER BRING A NOTE FROM THE DOCTOR EXPLAINING THAT YOU'RE HAVING BRAIN SURGERY OR SOMETHING TRULY IMPORTANT.

IS THAT CLEAR?

I WANT SERIOUS COMITTED PLAYERS NOT CAPRICIOUS ONES.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 16:45

Thanks Maju for offering help to me , i'm sure it isnt as complicated as it looks, but at the moment i'm reading 5 books would you believe  on various historical topics that I barely take my head out of.

So i'll have to pass, but much appreciated anyway, i'll look through and familiarise myself with the rules as you guys play so that next time a new game starts I should be a'ok.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
magua View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote magua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 03:03

Hello there,

I would like to play if any openings left I played diplomacy on computer before but not the board game. So I will be rookie also. I will read the documents about the game that you guys sent before and I might need some extra help to learn anyway let me know if its ok...

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 03:33
Originally posted by magua

Hello there,

I would like to play if any openings left I played diplomacy on computer before but not the board game. So I will be rookie also. I will read the documents about the game that you guys sent before and I might need some extra help to learn anyway let me know if its ok...

If you have played the computer game, you should at least know of the mechanics of the game. Please notice that this variant includes an extra item: armed minor powers and a special rule (that I have yet to polish) on how to rule them via Influence Points (see first post).

But as far as you know how to move, you are ready to play. If you want, I can train you a little in a quick 1 to 1 game as suggested above.

In any case, you must PM me with your list of preferences and an email adress.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 03:37

Thanks Maju for offering help to me , i'm sure it isnt as complicated as it looks, but at the moment i'm reading 5 books would you believe  on various historical topics that I barely take my head out of.

So i'll have to pass, but much appreciated anyway, i'll look through and familiarise myself with the rules as you guys play so that next time a new game starts I should be a'ok.

You can join as observer and potential replacement. If there is a dropout or a minor power becomes major we will need replacements. For that time you should have learned all or most you need.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 10:51
Ok. I oficially announce that we have the 7 players needed to start. The seventh is Magua, who I'm currently training in private. When we finish this (a few days) we can start.

Please tell me about any Christmas season objections or any other issues before we start.

This will be the country assignement:

TheDiplomat plays USSR
Bishop plays Britain
Hugo plays Turkey
Rider plays Poland
TheGeneral plays France
Kapikulu plays Germany
Magua plays Italy

Sorry about the ones that didn't get their first preferences, this time there was a lot of competition on who played Germany and Turkey (1st options) and USSR (2nd option). Someone had to take the remaining power in the end, even if it wasn't in his list.

Put the blame on Cervantes (the head of the coin I flipped)

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 12:38

.. Damned, I hoped I get USSR, and that is why I placed it second knowing I before got my second preferration. But be warned Diplomat if you invade Estonia, the pride of Estonian republic is very high now. You might start the Winter War earlier with Finland actually. But I? I, I shall restore the monarchy in Poland to it's gracious glory.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>