Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RTW - Elephants

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Drusus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Drusus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RTW - Elephants
    Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 02:30
Ive been playing RTW fo a while now but there's one thing im wondering
about. I find it really hard to kill elephants, especially armoured and i think
they're too overpowered, or is that just me?
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 02:53
If you are playing with the original(vanilla) version, they can be quite overpowering.  Updating your game, installing patches or modification should do the trick.  Its not just you.. also, dont forget to use spear chuckers against them.
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 02:56
Originally posted by cattus

also, dont forget to use spear chuckers against them.

Yep. The best thing to use against elephants are missles. It kills them faster and makes them panic and eventually run amok. Plus, it puts your men in much less danger and helps you avoid a lot of unnecessary casualties.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 17:27
Missiles, experience Triarii seem to do the trick too, though they do get slapped around doing so.
Arrrgh!!"
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 17:35
When I used to play RTW online religiously, Carthage was one of my favorate factions in 1v1. I would have at least one unit of Armored elephants, and have the entire charge at the moment the battle began. The biggest challenge was getting through the onager shots. If the eles made it across, the enemy was done, but if they got hit by the onager, then I was screwed. Elephant battles are some of the most fragile.

Against the computer, you can just send in your skirmishers against their eles or have them run into your phalanx. Missiles always work, but onagers are the best counter.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 17:47

You'll find it hard killing elephants without incurring serious casualties, your best bet to negate their impact therefore is to enrage them by using fire arrows or serious bombardment with arrows. This will be unlikely to kill elephants but will make them run amok and usually away from the battle.

As for armoured elephants ive never used or faced them so cant be sure how effective these tactics would be.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Genghis_Kan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Genghis_Kan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 20:21
try using the burning pigs
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 22:38

Perhaps use cavalry archers in loose formation. I have the 6.2 update of Rome Total Realism (man it rocks). Recently I began playing as the Parthians and I have developed such a taste for missile cavalry since I played the Sarmatians. It makes the Mediterannean footslogging look so dour. I cannot wait to try out the cavalry archers on those Seleucid elephants, perhaps their superior speed will assist in retreating whereas for infantry that is not an option.

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 22:00
The best way to fight against elephants is to have combined force with phalanx and archers. Move your phalangx unit directly in front of advancing elephants. Put your achers behind phalanx and shower advancing elphants with flaming arrows. This combination is very useful. You must also play with huge unit setting in options, because it is very wise to make deep ranks of 240 unit phalanx against elephants. Another good way against elephants is to use foot javelinmans. Javelin is more powerful then arrow, but allways put other units in front of javelinmans, because of javelin's shorter range. Combined force of 1 phalanx(for the last stand protection), 1 javelinman unit and 1 archer unit can kill any kind of elephant attack.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 05:37
I tried out those Parthian horse archers against the thorakismenoi elephants of the Seleucids. They worked like a charm, wiped out the whole lot using three H-A squads and lost only one cavalryarcher in the process. I don't think even the missiletroops guarded by a phallanx can achieve such a good kill to loss ratio, the infantrymen are always tossed around like rag dolls and can't outrun those pacaderms.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 10:42
I made experiment with 8 phalanx and 8 armoured elephants

Elephants are charging through my lines

But i was able to defeat them with phalanx pikes

After this all elephants run amok

Edited by axeman
AlbinoAlien View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 10:47
where the hell do you guys get all of these like updates and realism mods? what the hell?!?! i dont have the kingdom of bataria. my spartans dont look anything like that. where do you guys get this stuff for rome total war and rome total war BI?
people are the emotions of other people

(im not albino..or pale!)

.....or an alien..
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 11:03
Originally posted by AlbinoAlien

where the hell do you guys get all of these like updates and realism mods? what the hell?!?! i dont have the kingdom of bataria. my spartans dont look anything like that. where do you guys get this stuff for rome total war and rome total war BI?

The screenshots are from RTR 6.3 (Rome Total Realism), RTR is a mod for Rome: Total War version 1.2. You can download RTR 6.3 from www.rometotalrealism.org
To corectly install RTR you must unistall BI and make fresh install for RTW.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 11:08
Fire arrows work a treat.
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 14:08
ahh that sucks asss.... are you sure ihave to uninstall BI? why would i need to?

.....or an alien..
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 16:21
Originally posted by AlbinoAlien

ahh that sucks asss.... are you sure ihave to uninstall BI? why would i need to?

Well compared with BI, RTR has modified almoust all data files, so the game wont run if you install RTR over BI.
But dont worry, I have heard that RTR mod team will release RTR new version 7.0 which will be compatible with BI in December. It will be far more better mod than 6.3. Patience

Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 07:28

alright so i shouldnt reinstall BI? i got RTR to work and i seee that i have been missing out on the real experience of the game. everything is much more historially correct! PLUS, the new music rocks.

.....or an alien..
 Post Reply Post Reply