Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Serbian Medieval History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serbian Medieval History
    Posted: 12-May-2006 at 07:27

Originally posted by violentjack

Fuj kakve ste vi Srbende,kada vam Bosnjo zna bolje vasu historiju od mene

The kid who wrote it is only 14 and he lives in canada for years- i wouldn't say that they have ''medieval serbian rulers'' as a history lesson in canada...

"It's better to be a billionair for a lifetime then to live in poverty for a week"
               Bob Rock
Bosniakum View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Bosniakum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2006 at 22:33
Well of course Bosnians , Serbians and Croatians have ilyrian, greek etc... blood, but we still are dominantley slavic, one proof for that is that when looking at Albanians is that they are on average a head shorter then Bosnians, Serbians and Croatians.
"I krv svoju za Bosnu moju"
violentjack View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 00:25
Wtf Bosniakum
How old are you
I knew many Albanians and most werent short,and i had many Albanian friends

I dont get this so called Slavic theory which was proven wrong  by not only me,also many historian disputed that

Im  more of Illyrian ancestry

Bosnjaci,probudite se ili nestanite
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 08:00

We're all slavs only about 10 - 20 % - if we presume that slavic marker is HG3...Most of our genes are native to balcan-illyrian,thracian and pre indo-european...

As for the stature of albanians - they're not all uniformely tall or short...

"It's better to be a billionair for a lifetime then to live in poverty for a week"
               Bob Rock
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 14:10
Most tall Albanians actually come from the north. The tallest are in Montenegro and a territory called malcia e madh(greater highlands). Average of 6 feet. Im 6'5 and from the south with partly greek admixture. We are a mixed people.
polak966 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote polak966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 23:35
Originally posted by HistoryGuy

Hej Sarmata, where do you think the people you know with  dark skin and dark eyes in Poland originally come from (I mean in terms of their ancestors)? Like Roma or something?

you have no idea how right you might actually beTongue
in the 16th c. our king zygmunt stary took for a wife an italian woman, she brought many italians with her to poland, and it is a common theory that alot of the darkness in Polish hair etc. is linked to some of the small italian blood that is in Poland right now. then again, im pretty sure every person in poland has germanic, hungarian, baltic, and other slavic blood in their genes.
also id say that looking at a nations hair coliur and skin tone isnt the best way to tell how related they are to other supposedly related grups. alot of that has to do with the location of where that people is settled.
i have a friend from montenegro and he is very dark skinned and has black hair (obviously due to the mediterranean region he comes from). but he says that if you move a bit inland to belgrade the people there gain lighter hair and skin colour. and i doubt anyone would argue that serbians and montenegrans have completely different genetic background.
also the white croats never held krakow, that area was controlled by the Wiślanie, a lechitic (polish) tribe. the croats have been marked down on most maps between the czechs and silesians. there was also another croat popultion eastwards centered near and around galich. unless im mistaken i think they may have been called black croats.
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 05:59
i have a friend from montenegro and he is very dark skinned and has black hair (obviously due to the mediterranean region he comes from). but he says that if you move a bit inland to belgrade the people there gain lighter hair and skin colour. and i doubt anyone would argue that serbians and montenegrans have completely different genetic background.

Your friends dark skin is certainly of mediteranian source-however, u'll find a significant no. of montenegrins with blonde\red hair and pinkish white skin...Most of montenegrins are dinarics...And their height is certainly the evidence that mediteranian influence is strong-according to Coon(1939) they are the tallest nation in europe...And since i'm serbian-i can confirm that...

Edited by Socrates - 31-May-2006 at 05:59
               Bob Rock
polak966 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote polak966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 00:27
thats funny, cuz hes almost a head taller than meTongue
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 10:27
Just to correct myself: i said ''a significant no. of them are blonde/red haired..."-what i meant is more like a ''noticeble minority''...

Bob Rock
Monte View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 09:22

Hello everyone,

Ive only done a little research on Serbian ethnicity, but I did tour through the Serm and Backa districts for about three months. I found a very wide mix of people. The impression I left with was that Serbia was a cross roads for many nationalities and had a very diversified mix of people they could call their ancestors.

I met a few people who appeared to be of Mongol decent near Budisava. Yet in other areas I meet people who where about a foot or two taller than me. Which on average I think most Serbian people were taller and more athletic than in many other countries I visited. As an example I was shopping in Novi Sad and had a very difficult time finding pants that fit both my waste and leg length. Im 58 (173cm) about 3 or 4 inches shorter than the average male. Yet anything I tried on was at least a foot longer in the legs. The women also where very tall. I felt like a midget the entire time I was there.

But anyways, has anyone read Evlija Celebi, book of travels through Serbia in the 16th century? He was a Turkish traveler who documented the history of many of the cities he came across . I was hoping to discuss it with someone.

Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 12:05
Originally posted by Monte

Hello everyone,

Ive only done a little research on Serbian ethnicity, but I did tour through the Serm and Backa districts for about three months. I found a very wide mix of people. The impression I left with was that Serbia was a cross roads for many nationalities and had a very diversified mix of people they could call their ancestors.

I met a few people who appeared to be of Mongol decent near Budisava. Yet in other areas I meet people who where about a foot or two taller than me. Which on average I think most Serbian people were taller and more athletic than in many other countries I visited. As an example I was shopping in Novi Sad and had a very difficult time finding pants that fit both my waste and leg length. Im 58 (173cm) about 3 or 4 inches shorter than the average male. Yet anything I tried on was at least a foot longer in the legs. The women also where very tall. I felt like a midget the entire time I was there.

Mongol decent???there's about 2 % of central asian genes (y chromosome) on serbia's genetic map, but that's  even less then sweden  or czech republic etc...They could be of some other ancestry then serbian alone...or it could be somesort of recombination...Anyway-you should visit Belgrade and central serbia to give you a clearer picture of our appearnce...

And ''mongol look'' is present in almost all european countries-i've seen a few brits that correspond to that appearance-as well as a few swedes - not to mention some other countries...
               Bob Rock
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 12:13
Or it could be normal migrants. F.e. we have a whole neighbourhood of Asians (mainly Vietnamese and Chinese) and Arabs around the open market in Sofia.
Monte View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 06:14
From what the locals told me, apparently the mongols invaded the Backa region in the 1200's. They established a few strong holds but wheren't able to completely subdue the area.

A young man at the local coffee shop in Budsava told me that Kovilj had a lot of Mongols who lived there. I didn't really investigate it or look into the mongol invasion story. I just assumed they where given me the local history.

But the idividuals I seen looked nothing like the normal Serbian population and being mainly a farming area I didn't think they were immigrants. Unfortunately, my Serbian is very limited and I wasn't able to talk to them.
But they did seem to keep to themselves. similar to the gypsie population I've seen
Monte View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Monte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 06:30
I'm sorry, I just realized. Things are different here.

If a person is born in Serbia, is he or she considered Serbian?
Or is it strickly a blood and ancester thing? And how far back does it have to go?

See, I'm from America and it is really different here. We all come from somewhere else but if you are born here you are considered American.
like most americans my ancesters came from many different european countries. So it is hard for us to idenetify with one blood ancestry.

Our Medeival history is your medeival history.
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 17:11
I have book Seyathana or Traveling, or just Putopis with me

Which town are you interested in?

Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 17:14
Thats from Celebi book!

He does desribe lot of towns, and ones who were populated by Bosniaks then like Kanjiza or Kanigsza,and some in Serbia

Nis is described as Bulgarian town by the way, most of population speaks Bulgaria

There is lot of Vlachs in his book

Bosnian language he finds most admirable, even has praises about it

Evlija Celebi Seyathana-Traveling travels from 1660-1665 period

Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 01:53
Interesting, well I highly doubt the whole mixing thing in (Bulgaria, Serbia, ....) considering our languages are 99% slavic. (Plus culture in general)

If I might ask, when is the state of Serbia officially considered to start its existance. I know that it started as a group of kingdoms in....
 around 850? 

Edited by Thracian - 07-Jun-2006 at 01:56
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 07:10
Originally posted by Monte

If a person is born in Serbia, is he or she considered Serbian?
Or is it strickly a blood and ancester thing? And how far back does it have to go?

Well, i know a greek guy living in serbia-his serbian is much better then his greek, because he was born here-yet he considers himself greek-although he's got serbian citizenship...There's also hungarians in serbia-yet they've got a strong hungarian identity...

well-it's not like we want to see the girls family tree when we want to marry her...LOL

Thracian:

The first serbian medieval state was Rashka (Rascia) in the 9th century...

One correction is necessary: porphyrogenit says serbs live in bosnia - he doesn't mean the lands of modern bosnia-he means the teritorry around Bosna river...

Edited by Socrates - 07-Jun-2006 at 07:18
               Bob Rock
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 09:29

I have recently read in "A history of the Early Medieval Balkans" by Fine, that both the Croats and the Serbs were initially Scythian (Iranian) tribes who were acting as a military aristocracy for the Slav population which later on became the modern Serbs and the Croats. Apparently they migrated together to the Balkans, in the early 7th century, and that the process of Slavicization of the Iranian Serbs and Croats had probably started out even before the migration started. Thus, the genetic imprint of the Iranian Croats and Serbs was minimal, but the name of the ruling aristocracy was preserved and extended to the ruled Slavs. As proof of this, he presented linguistic evidence, as well as the mention in Roman chronicles of the 2nd century AD, of Scythian or Sarmatian tribes called the Serboi and the Croatans.

In some ways, this is similar to the process that occured in Bulgaria, where the minority Turkic Bulgars were assimilated by the Slav majority, but where the old name of the aristocracy was extended to the ruled people. The major difference is that the assimilation process probably started much earlier for the Serbs and Croats, than it did for the Bulgars.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 13:21
I'd be careful with that book Decebal. great study indeed but one made over 15 years ago. it doesnt include all of the most recent available studies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>