Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Serbian Medieval History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serbian Medieval History
    Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 17:53
Wtf? Dark blonde and blue eyes? What the hell?
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 18:09
Originally posted by Sarmata

I might have misunderstood but just to clear up, are you saying that Serbs and Croats are just a Slavicized people and not really slavic at all?

They are Slavic in the sense that they speak Slavic languages and feel Slavic. But their genome shows that they are diferent from Poles, sharing a big deal of their genetic pool rather with other non-Slavic Balcanic peoples.

That's normal: even if the Slavic infiltration of the 7th century was massive (something that we just don't know) the previous inhabitants of the region (Romanized or Hellenized Dalmatians, Thracians, Illyrians, etc.) would have mostly remained in their villages and towns, adapting to the new new situation. It's a wrong idea to think that language and culture is the same as genetic background: peoples adapt and adopt (even via such violent means as slavery), while mass genocides or "ethnic cleansings" are rather the exception (very concentrated in modern times) than the rule.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 04:58
Originally posted by Jay.

That's actually a pretty good description of me.

BTW, Sarmata, thanks for your response.  I'm one of those with roots in White Croatia.

It's funny that nobody has mentioned the connection between the Serbs and the modern Sorbs of eastern Germany.  They're obviously two branches of the same people.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 09:51
Originally posted by Scytho-Sarmatian

It's funny that nobody has mentioned the connection between the Serbs and the modern Sorbs of eastern Germany.  They're obviously two branches of the same people.

That's curious. What's the connection apart of the name?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 15:42
Originally posted by Maju

It's funny that nobody has mentioned the connection between the Serbs
and the modern Sorbs of eastern Germany. They're obviously two
branches of the same people.

That's curious. What's the connection apart of the name?

They are the same people ethnically. Serbs and Croats migrated somewhere form the east, maybe the caucasus as some people believe they were a branch of the Sarmatian tribes (there is evidence of this as there are carvings of tribes names very similar to HRVAT which means Croat). The serbo-croats migrated eventually to southern Poland, Croats made a kingdom centered around Krakow, Serb settled between the areas of easter Gemany and western Poland. Then a Byzantine emperor called for their assistance against the Avars and in return would give them land, this was the same ting the western roman emperors did to Vandals and Goths; promised them land in return for servitude, we all know how that ended up. It's curious because later the Avars and Slavs would ally and sometimes the Avar empire is called a Avar Slav empire, as some slavs assimilated with Avars. Not all the Croats and Serbs form southenr Poland migrated south, we see Sorbs today still exist in eastern germany. During the reign of Boleslaw Chrobry, First King of Poland, he connected that lands of the western Slavs to the kingdom of Poland which included upper and lower Lusatia, where the Lusatian Serbs or Sorbs live. The Sorbs acctually consider Boleslaw a national hero. The Croats or Chrobatians(white croats) were still around during Boleslaws rule, which shows not all of them migrated south. All this shows that Slavs have relations between themselves which is greater then just linguistics. I also ask any of you, if your curious as I was, tolook at Boleslaw I Chrobry's name; Chrobry the nickname that Ive always been taught to mean, Valiant or brave, when I looked the word up, it was noe wher ein a dictionary. Maybe its just old Polishlanguage? maybe. OR it could mean Boleslaw of Chrobatia (Chrobacja)? Mieszko did give Boleslaw originally to be prince of the soouthern lands befor ehe ruled the entire kingdom. Not only that remember Tomislav? Croatian king, who made croatia into a very powerful nation, by the end of his reign, he just disappeared...maybe, to Chrobatia? Perhaps there is a closer relation to the Croats and Poles then we think. Just a thought.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 15:45

That's actually a pretty good description of me.

BTW, Sarmata, thanks for your response. I'm one of those with roots in White Croatia.

If we'd be in the 9th century or so Id be calling myself a Chrobatian right now as well...perhaps there's little difference really, we jsut dont know as much as we'd like.
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 04:32

Many Germans have slavic 'genes'-until the 12th century there was some slavic peoples in (modern) Germany-in the 12th century they were germanized-the todays Macklenburg-Pomeranie in germany is an example-POMERANI-slavic-by the sea(more=sea)-first duke of Macklenburg was a ruler of Obodrite tribe(bodryci=the brave ones).

Now Maju,there's not too many nations calling or being refered to as Serbs-it's a self-given name,not a latin term(your example of Albanians).

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 11:16
Originally posted by Socrates

Many Germans have slavic 'genes'-until the 12th century there was some slavic peoples in (modern) Germany-in the 12th century they were germanized-the todays Macklenburg-Pomeranie in germany is an example-POMERANI-slavic-by the sea(more=sea)-first duke of Macklenburg was a ruler of Obodrite tribe(bodryci=the brave ones).

You're surely right in the sense that the colonzation of the east by Germans obviously assimilated many Slavs alreadyl living there, specially in the formerly Polish regions of Pomerania and Silesia.

On the other hand, it's vane to speak of Slavic or Germani genese, specially when Germans had also inhabited those regions centuries before, in the Ancient Age, and therefore, Slavic migrations also surely assimilated Germans in places such as Bohemia or Eastern Germany, which surely weren't total deserts when the Slavic tribes arrived. If we want to go further back, most of Germany (and Bohemia and other Central European regions) had been earlier inhabited by Celts, who again were largely assimilated by Germans. Even earlier, some of those regions were inhabited by other less known peoples (maybe Illyrians, Italics or who knows?) and Celts assimilated them, etc. So talking about ethnic genes in most cases is a dangerous excersise.

Now Maju,there's not too many nations calling or being refered to as Serbs-it's a self-given name,not a latin term(your example of Albanians).

I don't think I mentioned Albanians in this threat. It was someone else.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 03:20
A "dangerous exercise," eh?

Be afraid, be very afraid!
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 13:01

Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 05:25

I wasn't refering to actual genes-simply stated that a significant number of Germans have got distant(or not that distant) slavic ancestry-which is ironic considering views of the nazi's-that slavs r inferior to germanics... 

About the Sorbs-u went around my question-Albanians were just an example(latin alba appearing at different locations-don't try to represent me as one of those nationalists that propagate the Caucasus theory)

Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 18:20
Ther Germanic and Slavic tribes have a long history of bad blood, and I doubt they have ancestry between one another, unless ou mean for example eastern germans might because of Slavic settlements long ago, and the present Sorbian population. Slavs caleld germans "Niemcy" which means mute or dumb, meaning its a safe assumption to say they didnt understand one another.
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2006 at 14:51

Ther Germanic and Slavic tribes have a long history of bad blood, and I doubt they have ancestry between one another, unless ou mean for example eastern germans might because of Slavic settlements long ago, and the present Sorbian population. Slavs caleld germans "Niemcy" which means mute or dumb, meaning its a safe assumption to say they didnt understand one another.

I didn,t say it happened through "mutual love and understanding"...however it is a fact that many of baltic slavs were germanized-and it wasn't in ancient times-more like in the medieval ones.Obodrites(or bodrichy in slavic-the brave ones) r  a perfect example:

The Obodrites' independent principality, which was developed by the early 9th century, was conquered in the middle of  12th century by Henry the Lion, duke of Saxony, after a long resistance lead by its last pagan prince, Niklot (d. 1160). Niklot's son Przybyslaw (Pribislav; d. 1178) accepted Christianity, acknowledged German suzerainty, and he was recognized in 1170 as a prince of the Holy Roman Empire. Both his descendants became the dukes of Mecklenburg and the Obodrite people eventually became Germanized...

Edited by Socrates
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2006 at 14:56
Btw, the term Nemecy could be also rooted from germanic tribe Nemety in eastern Germania.

Edited by Socrates
HistoryGuy View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 16:43
Hej Sarmata, where do you think the people you know with  dark skin and dark eyes in Poland originally come from (I mean in terms of their ancestors)? Like Roma or something?

Edited by HistoryGuy
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 17:28

I didn,t say it happened through "mutual love and understanding"...however it is a fact that many of baltic slavs were germanized-and it wasn't in ancient times-more like in the medieval ones.Obodrites(or bodrichy in slavic-the brave ones) r  a perfect example:

The Obodrites' independent principality, which was developed by the early 9th century, was conquered in the middle of  12th century by Henry the Lion, duke of Saxony, after a long resistance lead by its last pagan prince, Niklot (d. 1160). Niklot's son Przybyslaw (Pribislav; d. 1178) accepted Christianity, acknowledged German suzerainty, and he was recognized in 1170 as a prince of the Holy Roman Empire. Both his descendants became the dukes of Mecklenburg and the Obodrite people eventually became Germanized...

And not just in the Middle Ages. In Ancient times, several German tribes (Goths are the more famous) settled in Slavic territory. I'm sure they intermixed then too.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 08:44
Originally posted by Maju

And not just in the Middle Ages. In Ancient times, several German tribes (Goths are the more famous) settled in Slavic territory. I'm sure they intermixed then too.

So those Nazis had some slavic ancestry...-Hitler is turning in his grave.Poor Nazis with their 'pure blood' theories-makes me wanna cry

This guy must be out of his mind:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3608& ; ;KW=inferior+slavs

Or this Aryan(he actually calls himself Aryan):

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=603& KW=ossetian&TPN=1

I don't understand how they can write such things...and nobody seems to mind...

Edited by Socrates
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 09:55

So those Nazis had some slavic ancestry...-Hitler is turning in his grave.Poor Nazis with their 'pure blood' theories-makes me wanna cry

Austria itself is built up on Slovenian lands for the most part. I'm sure that the Slavs there weren't exterminated nor expelled for the most part: just assimilated.

Yes the Nazis and their poor blood theories are way pathetic. Not just there's no pureblood race at all (even the purest groups are mixed in one or another way) but also Europeans aren't "Aryans" (i.e. Indo-Europeans) by blood for the most part - and if any group would be closer to that these would be Eastern Europeans and specially some Slavic groups.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 10:11

This guy must be out of his mind:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3608& ; ; ;KW=inferior+slavs

Or this Aryan(he actually calls himself Aryan):

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=603& KW=ossetian&TPN=1

I don't understand how they can write such things...and nobody seems to mind...

Iranians and some Indians have always called themselves Aryans. Iran (Aryanam) actually means the land of the Aryans. It doesn't have a racial sense but an ethnic sense. Let's not mix things, what is absurd is the Nazis imported the term from people they would surely consider "inferior" but in Asia is a common term. Is the same about the svastika: in Europe and America it's become a dreadful symbol of greed and destruction but in Asia is common among many cultures (not just Indo-Europeans, also is frequent among Buddhist East Asians) and it's basically a symbol of good fortune. But ulike the svastika, which was also relatively common in Europe and even America before Hitler's megalomaniatic crimes, the term Aryan is totally alien to Europe.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
violentjack View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2006 at 13:54

having trouble with this..

I have some of the Medieval Serbian Rulers..

Lazar, Prince
Oliver, Despot
Uros, King
Vladislav II, King
Milutin, King

Anyone have any others?

Uros is Dragutin Uros 1243-1271 famous traveler and writer
Milutin took southern Macedonia mostly and Skoplje in 1299,was longest ruler of Serbia,so he is almost most famous 1281-1321

Dusan was skilled ruler he used Kantakuzemos-Paleogolous Byzantine civil war to increase Serbia all the way to Sallonica.Fuj kakve ste vi Srbende,kada vam Bosnjo zna bolje vasu historiju od mene

Bosnjaci,probudite se ili nestanite
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>